Does Your Ass Always Hurt

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
For the past 2 months I've been riding a lot more regularly than I used to. Around 3 times per week for 10-20 miles with a few 30 mile runs. My problem is My ass always hurts at the sit bones. I've been through a few saddles in the past few years, This year i've had a SMP Lite 209 saddle. I've liked the cutout , it makes me not go numb, however my ass really hurts. I've tried lowering and messed with the fore and aft adjustments. Do I switch it out for something different or keep at it for a bit more?

Try a different saddle; actually borrow as many different saddles as you can get and find one that is more comfortable.
If there is a fitter in your area with a whole bunch of saddles you can test/try that would be a plus. Saddles are like shoes, find the most comfortable one FOR YOU, don't go for looks or weight as your cycling enjoyment will not improve unless you are comfortable.

Nope, mine doesn't hurt at all. If your is hurting either your saddle position is off or your saddle isn't right for you. There could also be a problem with your fit in general, but if only your butt hurts, it's likely one of the two first options I mentioned. The easiest thing to do is try a bunch of saddles. Any worthy bike shop will let you return a saddle in exchange for another that works better for you. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine which saddle will work best for you other than trying saddles until you find that special one. Try another saddle.

I have heard you need to ride any saddle about 500 miles to know if it will work. With that said, the pros don't always ride the lightest or briefest saddle. Many use the San Marco Rolls or something else sort of cushy. Heck, with their mileage, they can't afford to be sore all the time. Find one that works and ride it a lot.