Does your bike hold sentimental value or is it just a tool?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Uawadall, Jan 6, 2016.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

My 25 years old bike has some sentimental value as I've spent long hours with it, so I have it stored and I can still ride it on occasion. But my new bike is better, so it's my riding tool atm.

2. kuroba

kuroba Member

Well, I got my current bike in April and my old dutch bike it's still at my parent's place, I've been in denial of putting it online for sale :v

And though I'm considering upgrading from my current bike I haven't really looked up into it. I mean, I'd like a better bike, but also would feel a bit sad about saying goodbye to my current one, even though it's only basic level.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I think if you build your bikes then they will mean more to you than the generic shop bought bikes that people usually get. I've said before that my bikes don't hold sentimental value for me but that doesn't mean I don't get attached to them. I do, just not in the same way as someone like you would.

4. oportosanto

Yep, I wish I could build a bike too and have a place where I could have my tools and work on them. Sadly I live in a flat and I really don't have any space to work.

5. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Giaspeshitrekadales?

I've found some level of attraction for that Emonda frame. It's stiff and efficient and light enough...if a little too high in the nose. It feels good under me despite the somewhat weighty wheels, dead feeling tires and over-padded par tape. I think it was the addition of that sweet DEDA SuperZero carbon seatpost that did it. Just that touch of Italy and the Elite bottles made it feel a little more like home sweet home. If I ditched the smooth, but soul-less shitmaNO stuff and hung even a lowly Athena group on it, I think it would be an admirable addition to life's calendar.

6. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Nice! I can see why you enjoy your old Schwinn. You've put a lot into the old girl.

7. Gnufrau

Gnufrau Active Member

Athena is lowly? I wonder what your opinion of Veloce is...

8. oportosanto

I am not a big expert on different brands, but I do like something professionally assembled and I am willing to pay more for that as it makes a big difference to me.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Member

The one that I have now is just a tool, but my previous bike had huge sentimental value as it was given to me as a gift, before I had ever tried riding before, and it was on that bike that I learned everything that I know today. But unfortunately it was stolen several years ago and I was never able to get it back. I am very sad about this, as I miss having it in my life, and I know that my current bike is good, but it is still nothing like the one that I have lost.

10. Kittie

Kittie New Member

I'm not overly attached to my bike, but I do love it. I feel so alive when I'm riding to be honest. It takes away the majority of my stress and makes me feel great. I feel so full of energy. The only thing I don't like about my bike is the size of it in general. I'm a small woman so it's hard to find an adult bike to fit me completely. I either can't reach the pedals or the handlebars are too far apart for my little arms.

11. cycle93

cycle93 Member

My bike was originally my grandmother"s so yes, it hold a really big sentimental value to me :)

12. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I don't have any of my old bikes, I actually gave them away. I look at it this way I hope it brings me the same smiles that it brought be to the person I gave it too. It is weird but when i had them they seemed like they were alive and all of them seemed to have a different personality.

13. oportosanto

Wow, I can't even imagine how old it is! Eventually it's already an antique and is worth some good money? Can you post a picture?

14. artyarson

artyarson Member

That's an interesting question! I guess I'm giving the answer for the first time. Well, If you have a lot of memories about travelling and your bike was involved = sure, it has some sentimental value. The memories, however, must be positive. No one wants to be around things that are associated with negativity.

15. chrislee99777

chrislee99777 Member

16. cycle93

cycle93 Member

of course!

It was hers when she lived in Austria and Germany for a few years, and she could use it everywhere. Sadly when they moved back to Hungary with my grandfather it was kind of put aside.

But I used it for years after that, it's a little wonky, but has a soul :)

DSCF9184fd.jpg

oportosanto likes this.
  17. Keyan

Keyan Member

My bike was given as a present to me by my close friends and that makes it even more valuable/sentimental. I can buy a new one but I tend to use this old bike as it motivates me more than any new shiny bike

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I've kept every bike that I've ever had.
    Each of them hold sentimental value for me.

19. oportosanto

Definitely it has a soul and looks great after all it lived. Looking at it, seems like something that will still pass to another generation! :)

20. dblanch

dblanch New Member

I love my bike, but let's be real, it's just a tool. The value I place on it is only as equal to value I spent purchasing and modifying it. Otherwise, I would not feel sad doing away with it and getting another. I'm not quite that sentimental, especially about what is essentially a machine.