Does your bike hold sentimental value or is it just a tool?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Uawadall, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Pixie_Dust

Pixie_Dust New Member

I don't really get attached to my bikes. It's more like a tool for me. Maybe that's because I'm not in the cycling for a very long time (just several years). And I've changed just a few bikes and I think if you can get a new better one than why not. The brand new bike with better characteristics will definitely bring me more joy.

2. AryaSnark

AryaSnark New Member

Not really, the last time I felt emotionally attached to a bike was when I was 12 and I got my first 'adult' mountain bike. I felt proud about being able to ride one, and I was very happy to with it. I don't have it anymore and since I consider bikes merely vehicles.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

As a child I think it's a lot easier to get attached to your bike, especially if it's the first one that you've ridden or learned to ride on.

As we grow older we tend to get less sentimental about inanimate objects and we realise that there's more to life than just material things.

4. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Kids get attached to all sorts of toys, including bikes, they don't see the whole picture like some :) adults do.

5. AryaSnark

AryaSnark New Member

Yes, I guess you guys are right, emotional attachement to a bike is a childhood things. I don't think you can bond to a bike as an adult, when you know it's just a matter of time before you wil be able to replace it, and besides, you have more mature priorities... well, you should ;)

6. zipp2001

zipp2001 Well-Known Member

Of all the bikes I've owned over the years my Zipp2001's (2) are the only one's I have any attachment to and won't let go. I even turned one into a single speed for my youngest son who lives in New York city. But after building it I just couldn't give it to him for fear of it getting stolen. He's had 3 bikes stolen in the last couple years, and that would break my heart. I have given away all my old racing bikes which is in the range of about 23 bikes. I have one friend that has 3 of them and he's more attached to them than I ever was.

Uawadall likes this.
  7. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

Call me a kid then! I can easily find a lighter bike, maybe even one that is more comfortable, but....this bike is becoming sentimental in a little over 1 year of cycling. Cycling has meant a lot to me and this is the vehicle I ride for all my journeys!

8. AryaSnark

AryaSnark New Member

@Uawadall: No problem, it's also a matter of individual personality, and no one should have anything against you for that. I hope my post didn't come off as belitting your concerns, I didn't mean this. Anything's OK that floats your boat.

9. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

I'm not that kind of guy,lol...If you would have told me a year ago that i'd be cycling 4 days a week and wearing lycra. i'd say "no way"...When I sit on the bike, I remember the good rides and the bad ones the same(has been way more good than bad). No offense taken;)

AryaSnark likes this.
  10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I still have my primary racing bike I got in 84, a Trek 660, originally it was a tool, today it has sentimental value; so I think right now that even though my 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe is a tool to go touring with, once I start doing longer tours and go to memorable places that bike will become sentimental too. So for me it depends on how the bike evolves in my usage of it if it goes from being a tool to being sentimental. In the end everything we own is just a material possession that by itself doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't mean it won't have sentimental value at some point.

11. oportosanto

Well said, kids do attach to stuff, but not adults I believe. Surely I feel more comfortable with my bike than with other, but I can adjust fast.

12. tackykardia

tackykardia New Member

I need a new bike. I've had mine forever. It really holds no sentimental value to me.

13. oportosanto

What's the issue with your old bike kardia? Is it not working properly anymore?

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I'm an incredibly sentimental person, especially to my old stuff. I still have my old bike at the old house, and I really do not have the heart to throw it away. I still also have my first PC, my GameBoy, and even my old shoes. Yes, I probably would never use them again, but it's there for the memories that I made with those items, and I really appreciate the durability of those items. They stood the test of time, and it would really be terrible of me to just throw them away.

15. AryaSnark

AryaSnark New Member

I feel a little bit sad when I have to throw some old item that was importnat for me and I used it for years, but I still get rid of them anyway. I don't have my first mobile phone anymore, for instance, not to mention my first bike (if I recall correctly, my parents gave it away to some of my younger cousins, and I have no idea what happened with it when she grew out of kid's bikes). I have my previous laptop still, but it's because I'm using it for storing backup copies of my files :p

oportosanto likes this.
  16. oportosanto

Yeah, I do hear you, some nostalgia does happen in those times, but it's just life and we have to move on. :)

17. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

My answer would be 'both'. It's a tool for me and it also holds sentimental value for me. Many of my childhood memories are linked with my cycle and that's why I consider it's a 'sentimental tool'. To many people, this thing may sound weird but that's the truth (at least for me).

18. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

Yes, it's a good idea to name them. I have a collection of many bikes and I have named them all. They are like my friends. I even talk to them. That may sound like a joke bu it's sentimental thing. As I have said, my bike holds sentimental value.

19. bike4life65

bike4life65 New Member

I love my first and only road bike right now. Its a second hand bike and I got to where I wanted to go on it so it has a lot of sentimental value to me. People have told me to sell it cause I can get money for the frame and upgrade to a better bike but my sister wants it so she can ride with her son so I will probably keep it :)

Good memories on that old thing! :)

20. SkerleeWerg

SkerleeWerg Member

I just got mine, no sentimentalness to it yet. It's been a while, so I guess it's important for that. I lost a lot of really cherished treasured items of mine recently, and I don't want want to go connecting myself to stuff anymore. Hurts when it gets ripped away.