Does Your Local Bike Shop Offer Any Kind Of Discounts. Or Price Matching?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by asuewrowt, Jun 26, 2015.

1. asuewrowt

asuewrowt New Member

I will admit to being frugel, or as some like to say cheap. That a big deal, just a personal trade I grew up with, and never grew out of.

I get the email alerts from Performance, Nashbar, and a few other place. As I try to buy stuff at a good, or sale price.

Local bike shops don't get much of my hard earned dollars, because most near me offer no discounts.

Yes I understansd it cost dollars to operate a bick & mortor location. But I also understand a lot of the internet sales sites can deliver goods, before the local guy can order it, and have it on their door step.

Tags:

2. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

I bought most of my bike stuff at my local bike shop and not for some mobile reasons. They are:

1. Cost-Honestly, the cost for most of the stuff isn't terribly different than online. Also, the owners will work with you to help install it if you buy it there.

2. Fit-I'm a lanky guy, 6'4" and 165-170 pounds. Its very hard to buy stuff online unless I'm use to the brand. I can't buy jerseys online because I like them form fitting, not way too tight, and definitely not baggy, they also must be the correct length.Also, every brand sizing is different. A Sugoi medium can be the same as a Pearl Izumi large.When it comes to shoes, I have thin,long feet. I had to try on three pairs and the one that finally fit were a size 14, I wear 13 with normal shoes. If I'd bought them online, many shoes would be sent back.

3.Patience-I'd rather pay $5 more than wait a few days to get something. If I want to ride on the weekend, I want the gear that weekend.

4.Supporting the community- Again, I'm not that unselfish,but its good to help out the guy who can fix your bike if need be.

I've bought backup tires, spare tubes, and a few other things online. The tires would have been twice as much in the store and its easy to find out the sizing you need. Never buy a new bike online, people are speaking the truth when they say fit and comfortability is everything.

3. tarverten

tarverten New Member

Nope. I'll pay the premium for most small stuff because 1) I like my LBS and I want them to stay in business and it's typically a manageable ~10% difference; and 2) if I want a small component, I don't typically want to wait 2-3 days on it. I'll buy my group sets online, however, as the disparity in pricing between online and brick and mortar is enough to shock the conscience: typically close to a 100% increase in price.

4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear New Member

Yes, but they will verify the price. If you're price matching something on the internet, they include next day shipping charges. For example, lets say the LBS has a tire for $60 and you find it on the internet for $45. They'll match the $45 plus whatever the next day shipping charge is.

5. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Most shops around here will match prices with other other brick-and-mortar shops, but not interweb-only. Performance and Excel are local. BikeTiresDirect.com is not.

6. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature New Member

Bike shops operate on a very low profit margin. They don't do the volume that N and P do so they can't offer the deals. I still shop my bike shop first. I buy online if its something my bike shop doesn't carry.

7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay New Member

A 10% discount on Accessories.. & 6 months of free service on new Bikes After the sale of new bikes .

Its a seasonal Minimum wage Job for the most part , so Tip people who give you good service ..

8. Totalarmordestine

I dont care who,s raking in the high margins, but when you can buy a $350 US retail carbon fiber handlebar for $35 delivered from China, then someone is basically stealing. Yeah I know it is probable a knockoff, but I DONT CARE. That they can ship it around the world for 10% of the cost of local retail says allot about what the reality is. Oh, and save the R&D cost BS, testing cost crap, and 20% weaker claim. Handlebar is very strong (I can't flex it), and plenty thick.

9. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

And if it breaks, you're only out $35.

10. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Member

I wish. I've actually bought my bike through a local shop, it is very very expensive.

11. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

Well here bike shops are a little different, they don't offer price matching but they do have heavily discounted parts until it lasts in which if your quick, you would survey other shops which all have 1 or 2 sponsored items which are heavily discounted so what my friends are doing is if they need a part or assembling a bike they would visit 5-10 shops and buy all the sale items and if they're lucky they can assemble a bike in half the cost.

12. treecko142

treecko142 Member

Yeah, our local bike shops offer sales on bikes and other items mid-year and every end of the year, so those are the times I look forward to when looking to buy new items.

13. Kevin Abbot

Kevin Abbot New Member

It’s kinda like cars salesman if you’re buying a bike over 1500$. I was offered a Trek Domane ALR 4 Disc for 1250 when it retailed for 1750 on Treks website. Got 100$ off from summer sale and a 400$ off from the owner who wanted to sell it soon. (It was new not used)