Does your place of work have a specific place to put your bike?

Veater

May 28, 2016
At my job, I tend to have to park my bike in the private car park behind work. There aren't any official bike racks or a bike shed, so I tend to have to leave it attached to a fence where it's not protected from the elements. I'm the only person who cycles to work and it's fortunate that my boss allows me to keep my bike there, as the car park is specifically for use by the management and people who drive have to park about a 10 minute walk away unless they're willing to pay to use a more local car park.

My daughter's school has a proper area for leaving bikes - it's sheltered and there's space for about 20 bikes. I wish there was a place for bikes to go at work.

I don't ride a bike to work because it's a bit inconvenient for me. There is no where specific in the parking area for bikes but those who have one are allowed to chain it a metal railing that is along the walkway into the company.

I don't ride to and from work but I do ride after work before I go home a lot. I keep one of my bikes at work all week and I keep it right outside my office in the hallway.

All around the city, but as much as it should be, we have those places where you can lock your bike. However, that is not very safe because people steal a lot around here and it is risky. If it is inside of your working place then it is okay but any other option is not safe at all. I don't have such problems because my work is from home so my bike is in my garage all the time. I know a lot of people who use bicycle as a main transportation and I guess they have some ways to protect their bikes.

Were I work there isn't a place for me to leave my bike so I don't ride to work. There are certain places that I know that do have places to leave your bike but were I live there aren't too many of them.

My work insists they're indoors. We have space, so in they go. It's not a bad neighborhood or anything but the boss has been stolen from here before and wants them indoors for safety's sake.

Reactions: Veater
I don't ride a bike to work because it's a bit inconvenient for me. There is no where specific in the parking area for bikes but those who have one are allowed to chain it a metal railing that is along the walkway into the company.
That's really sad. Your company should have the place for parking the bikes. Now-a-days, almost ever company has that facility.

That's really sad. Your company should have the place for parking the bikes. Now-a-days, almost ever company has that facility.
My company has also built a bike keeping system in the backyard garden. I am amazed to know that many companies have not built a bike-keeping safe system for the workers.

Yes, and they are near the guard station too, which is always reassuring, since you have to get the keys to the locks from them, as well as a second key and lock from you. I have always felt pretty safe leaving it there, because I have known the guys working there for years, and I have not heard even one complaint about missing or misplaced bikes during my tenure at the office. It's a great way to save on money from gas and car repairs, and you also get to exercise and breathe in the fresh air too. Win win for everyone, am I right?

There are many places to put bikes in. In fact my work is one of them! Although, I think that there should be more places to put our bikes in. As in the current society, more and more people are more aware of the advantages of using the bike, and the governments are not that aware. Therefore, more bikes should be made in order to satisfy us, people that use bikes.

If I was in a higher position in the company or had been working there for long enough, I would put in a suggestion to invest in a proper bike storage space. I wonder if having proper bike racks would increase the number of staff riding to work. At the moment, people drive, some catch the bus, others walk but on a couple of occasions people have asked me about how difficult it is to ride to work and then work a long shift, and I've told them it's not a problem at all, and they always mumble something about wanting to get a bike and ride to work. We work right in the center of town, and the parking issue is a major problem for some of them - it really annoys them that they have to pay for parking if they want to be close. It's like an hour's worth of work to pay to park the car for the full shift. I don't have that problem, and I suspect more people would follow suit if we had an official, adequate place to keep our bikes.

I know right! I think it's most likely due to where it's situated. It is literally right next to the main road so implementing something new externally would pose a problem.

Yep it does right beside the motorcycle open parking area in front of the building. There are 2 horizontal poles about 5 meters each where you can chain your bike.

Yes, along the motorcycle area also. But I'm not using bike going to work, it's really dangerous, we don't have a bike lane, only motorcycle lane. Some of the drivers are not responsible enough to consider you or respect your lane.

Reactions: Kakashi
This is one of the reasons that I nearly didn't sign up at my place of work for they have got no place for me to set my bike when I am there for work. I have to he convinced by my friends that I should endure and take transport to work. That is how I have been going to work for some time now.

Yes, along the motorcycle area also. But I'm not using bike going to work, it's really dangerous, we don't have a bike lane, only motorcycle lane. Some of the drivers are not responsible enough to consider you or respect your lane.

Me too, I only use it every Wednesday to do some leg work. I'm planning to get another mountain bike and leave it to the office so that it would be a lot easier and safer for me. Plus doing that will get me a daily dose of exercise during breaks.

On my previous work, they have an area for bikes which I thought was really neat, although I didn't really use it because it's just a short walk from my home.

This is a good thread for bikers who use the bike in commuting to work. But the answer is no. Our office has no parking for bikes although I have seen the messengers with their bikes in the basement parking that are temporarily parked near the entrance. Maybe a bike rack should be requested for that purpose.