dog attack...ugh...

n2t said:
So going to work today, and uphill at that, I was charged by two dogs. One pitbull the second a shepard. They came from the right side, shepard pulled in behind me, pitbull beside and snapped away at me. I stood on the pedals and hauled but they were able to keep up easily. I cut left across two lanes of traffic but they kept coming. I took a hard left onto the sidewalk but couldn't get straitened out fast enough and hit a large decorative rock, Landed ok with my hands up, the dogs took off guess I wasn't interesting anymore. My rear derailer is destroyed, and I fear my tires are VERY out of round now. I fortunately have a walmart bike and the replacement derailer is 15.99. I just hope that nothing else suffered any damage that will be expensive. I went to a sporting goods store and bought mace with CS tear gas, this WILL NOT happen again. If I had been a kid or a bit less lucky this could have gone much worse. Good news, not a scratch on me and the helmet didn't even get bumped. Bike gloves saved my hands so I'm completely unharmed. The denali is a rock though that was a HARD crash it took, and it still got me to work (although in only one gear) before it gave up the ghost.
Scary, but I think the dogs were just chasers since they took off when you came off the bike. If they wanted you they would have had you. Most dogs are cowards and will scoot if you surprise them with some sprayed water or a well placed kick. Have you guessed yet that I'm a dog lover? Also, a cyclist is not a bunny. Riding a zig zag route will only slow you down. I've been chased before with no effect but I think if I was really scared of being a dog's breakfast or lunch I would ride into traffic and let my friends the cars take care of the problem.

Robbie Hatfield said:
Yup! I had a pit bull chase me with the intention of killing me. I ride a power-assisted lwb recumbent and also carry a .40cal Glock. When I saw the dog in my rearview mirror trying to overtake me, I hit the throttle and outpaced him enough to have time to dismount the ebike and take aim. The dog was dead with one shot. I dragged his useless carcass to the front porch of his owner's house and rang the doorbell. Nobody was home. I pinned a note on the dog that said "out of order" and left him there.

Robbie
I don't believe it for a minute. If you had outpace him why didn't you just keep going? And if you were so scared how did you manage to get off your ride, get your weapon and put a slug in a running dog? And how did you know where it came from? And I almost forgot, this whole story is suspiciously cinematic.

n2t,​

Some really interesting suggestions in this thread on what you should do.​

Do yourself a favor and take this advice. The next time this happen contact the local law enforcement or Sate police make them fill out a report with your statement. I only assume you’re living in the states, which one? If one compliant is not enough than make another. The owner or owners of these two animals is the real problem here. Make them pay for your losses.​

About discharging firearms. This is NOT the way to go and frankly it sounds like a bunch of macho bull. What if your aim is off and the bullet hit a moving vehicle and caused human deaths. How would that feel? Really!​

While being chased by dogs the best thing to do is keep moving in my opinion. Most will flee if confronted and will only turn to defense if cornered. I DO NOT condo you doing this. I am trained to deal with this and as my final WARRING keep moving and do stop. See the chase is the natural prey instinct in dog with high drive. At the same time there is that 1% that the dog is just vicious. I also read somebody post about Rabies. Hehe you got more chances get it from a bat at 5-10%.

FYI a German Shepherd Dog can run 31.76 MPH or 14.2 Meters per second if you like the metric conversion.

Of two dog attacks, I was chased and knocked off my bike once and had to do a little punching and kicking to drive off my attacker. Just an ordinary dog some guy in the neighborhood had.

The other time, pooch was chasing me with fangs bared, ears back and no barking so I let a little pepper go off behind me. It slowed and stopped despite not being directly hit.

aubinmg said:
I don't believe it for a minute. If you had outpace him why didn't you just keep going? And if you were so scared how did you manage to get off your ride, get your weapon and put a slug in a running dog? And how did you know where it came from? And I almost forgot, this whole story is suspiciously cinematic.
If you can go fast for a SHORT time, you should also be able to go equally fast for a LONG time! Why? Because, that's why!

Maybe go fast into TRAFFIC like Aubinmg suggests.

aubinmg said:
Scary, but I think the dogs were just chasers since they took off when you came off the bike. If they wanted you they would have had you. Most dogs are cowards and will scoot if you surprise them with some sprayed water or a well placed kick. Have you guessed yet that I'm a dog lover? Also, a cyclist is not a bunny. Riding a zig zag route will only slow you down. I've been chased before with no effect but I think if I was really scared of being a dog's breakfast or lunch I would ride into traffic and let my friends the cars take care of the problem.
So the people who get mauled to death by pit bulls should have surprised them with some sprayed water or a well placed kick.

garage sale GT said:
So the people who get mauled to death by pit bulls should have surprised them with some sprayed water or a well placed kick.
I said most dogs. Crazed pit bulls are not representative of the race.

I own an American Pitbull Terrier & the media has exploited these dogs to death. He is a sweetheart & has been taught it is wrong to show aggression to anyone & is always leashed if not in my enclosed fenced in yard or in my house. I love dogs & have always had Pits' & Shepards & I will say that my Sheps are MUCH more people aggresive than my Pits' which is why Sheps' are used as police dogs......more people aggressive. Just my 2 cents from an owner of both breeds & much experience with them. Angry people make an angry dog. Peaceful people make a peaceful dog (usually).

I love my dog dearly but should I fail to do my job with him & he chases someone down a street I give that person my blessing to protect themself at all cost even if they must kill my beloved dog. People are more important than any animal. If I were being chased I'd mace, kick, punch, stab, shoot...whatever it took to protect myself. Irresponsible dog owners need to also understand that people have the right to walk/ride down the street without the threat of being attacked but any animal regardless of how close I may get to "their" property line. I'm not gunna wait to take it up with the owner AFTER I'm mauled.

Again, I'd hate to injure or kill a dog but I'm more important to my Wife & daughter than any animal. I'd protect myself at all cost. :)

I too own a pit bull (although it is not an American pit). I am also annoyed by the way these dogs are shown in the press. My Oscar is very human friendly but also never off the lead unless in the country.

I stay in a down town area in Edinburgh and pits and staffys run free. I would agree that if one of these dogs every tried to attack me (with or without oscar there) I would do anything possible to defend my self.