Dog owners!

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:26:38 +0000 someone who may be Paul Boyd
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> Is there a fault with your built in audible warning instrument,
>> which prevents you saying something like, "excuse me please", in a
>> suitable voice?

>When I'm coming up behind pedestians on a *sole use* cycle lane like wot
>I use for work,

I have not heard of one of those in the UK. Where is it? The usual
situation, as with roads, is that pedestrians may use all of it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen wrote:

>>When I'm coming up behind pedestians on a *sole use* cycle lane like wot
>>I use for work,

> I have not heard of one of those in the UK. Where is it? The usual
> situation, as with roads, is that pedestrians may use all of it.

Not Responding may be able to correct me since it's his neck of the
woods and the last time I was there was ages ago, but isn't the A27
between the Emsworth roundabout and the Fishbourne roundabout
specifically no pedestrians? Not that it's particularly pleasant to
cycle down, mind.

R.

Tony Raven wrote:

>> Ride a bit faster, Alan.
>>
>> The Doppler effect will drop the squeal down to a frequency you can't
>> hear.
>>
>> :)
>>

> <pedant>
>
> No it won't but it may mean the pedestrians can't hear them.

I know, I know, but the handy quip wasn't half so effective if I
actually had to use Real Physics. ;-)

R.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:22:46 +0000 someone who may be Richard
<[email protected]> wrote
this:-

>Not Responding may be able to correct me since it's his neck of the
>woods and the last time I was there was ages ago, but isn't the A27
>between the Emsworth roundabout and the Fishbourne roundabout
>specifically no pedestrians?

There are indeed roads where pedestrians are not permitted. However,
such restrictions don't apply to most roads.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Richard wrote:

> I know, I know, but the handy quip wasn't half so effective if I
> actually had to use Real Physics. ;-)

Ah but since you are only really interested in pedestrians you are
approaching Real Physics™ would have you tune your brakes to be subsonic
for yourself but doppler shifted into the readily audible range for the
pedestrian.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>

>> I know, I know, but the handy quip wasn't half so effective if I
>> actually had to use Real Physics. ;-)
>>

> Ah but since you are only really interested in pedestrians you are
> approaching Real Physics™ would have you tune your brakes to be subsonic
> for yourself but doppler shifted into the readily audible range for the
> pedestrian.

Does that mean I should be wearing black, as when I'm approaching
drivers it'll be redshifted into orange? ;-)

R.

Richard wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Richard wrote:
>>

>>> I know, I know, but the handy quip wasn't half so effective if I
>>> actually had to use Real Physics. ;-)
>>>

>> Ah but since you are only really interested in pedestrians you are
>> approaching Real Physics™ would have you tune your brakes to be
>> subsonic for yourself but doppler shifted into the readily audible
>> range for the pedestrian.

> Does that mean I should be wearing black, as when I'm approaching
> drivers it'll be redshifted into orange? ;-)

Blueshifted. Buggrit.

R.

Richard wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> Tony Raven wrote:

>>> Ah but since you are only really interested in pedestrians you are
>>> approaching Real Physics™ would have you tune your brakes to be
>>> subsonic for yourself but doppler shifted into the readily audible
>>> range for the pedestrian.

>> Does that mean I should be wearing black, as when I'm approaching
>> drivers it'll be redshifted into orange? ;-)

> Blueshifted. Buggrit.

<geek>

Black is black is black. You need to wear red or infra-red to be blue
shifted to orange.

</geek>

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> Richard wrote:

>>> Does that mean I should be wearing black, as when I'm approaching
>>> drivers it'll be redshifted into orange? ;-)

>> Blueshifted. Buggrit.
>>

> <geek>
>
> Black is black is black. You need to wear red or infra-red to be blue
> shifted to orange.
>
> </geek>

<pedantgeek> if it's visible as black then there's a fair chance it's
emitting infra-red </pedantgeek>

R.

Richard wrote:

> <pedantgeek> if it's visible as black then there's a fair chance it's
> emitting infra-red </pedantgeek>

As a oen time frequent user of infra-red viewers, not so. black is
usually black in the infra-red too, felt tip pens being an exception.
So unless you've scribbled all over yourself.....

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

On 26/01/2006 14:07, David Hansen said,

> I have not heard of one of those in the UK. Where is it? The usual
> situation, as with roads, is that pedestrians may use all of it.

This is a faded red-painted lane physically segregated from the road by
a kerb that is specifically signposted as to be for the use of cyclists
only (OK, & mopeds, but I've never seen one on it yet). The lane itself
is two way, but the road it is adjacent to is one way. Incidentally,
there is only a moped sign at one end, which is pretty pointless because
it is the same direction as the traffic, so mopeds just use the road.

I'm referring to the facility beside Hutton Moor Road in
Weston-super-Mare, to be more specific.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:41:48 +0000 someone who may be Paul Boyd
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>This is a faded red-painted lane physically segregated from the road by
>a kerb that is specifically signposted as to be for the use of cyclists
>only

Signposted by a sign with words presumably?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On 26/01/2006 19:13, David Hansen said,

>>This is a faded red-painted lane physically segregated from the road by
>>a kerb that is specifically signposted as to be for the use of cyclists
>>only

> Signposted by a sign with words presumably?

No, by the sign on page 74 of the current Highway Code described as
"Route to be used by pedal cycles only". Then at one end of the path, a
little sign underneath that says "and mopeds". All seems pretty clear
to me!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:
> On 26/01/2006 19:13, David Hansen said,
>
> >>This is a faded red-painted lane physically segregated from the road by
> >>a kerb that is specifically signposted as to be for the use of cyclists
> >>only

> > Signposted by a sign with words presumably?

> No, by the sign on page 74 of the current Highway Code described as
> "Route to be used by pedal cycles only". Then at one end of the path, a
> little sign underneath that says "and mopeds". All seems pretty clear
> to me!

this must be one of the ones that were "compulsory" for bikes and
mopeds in the 1970ish HC; the A23 and A217 also having had these, all
recycled as car parking and P@nc@re fairy habitat nowadays.

On 26/01/2006 19:25, MartinM said,

> this must be one of the ones that were "compulsory" for bikes and
> mopeds in the 1970ish HC; the A23 and A217 also having had these, all
> recycled as car parking and P@nc@re fairy habitat nowadays.

I'm not quite sure if you're saying the sign was from the 1970's, or my
copy of the HC. The latter is dated 2004, bought in the last month or
so, and this lane was created some time in the last five years, I think,
when the road system was re-mangled into the long-winded one-way system
that it is now.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Richard" <[email protected]>
> Alan Holmes wrote:
>
>>>I must admit that sometimes I feel like deliberately adjusting my brakes
>>>so that they squeal loudly!

>> Mine do, I've no idea why, and I don't know what to do to stop it.
>>
>> Alan

> Ride a bit faster, Alan.
>
> The Doppler effect will drop the squeal down to a frequency you can't
> hear.
>
> :)

What a good idea, never thought of that.

Alan

> Richard wrote:

>>> Mine do, I've no idea why, and I don't know what to do to stop it.
>>>
>>> Alan

>> Ride a bit faster, Alan.
>>
>> The Doppler effect will drop the squeal down to a frequency you can't
>> hear.
>>
>> :)
>>

> <pedant>
>
> No it won't but it may mean the pedestrians can't hear them. OTOH Alan's
> problem is more likely to be that, like a jet fighter, he is going so fast
> that the sound only arrives at the pedestrian a fraction of a second
> before he does ;-)

Damn, I wondered what caused that problem, must try to ride slower!:)-)

Alan

> </pedant>
>
> --
> Tony
>
> "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
> right."
> - Lord Hailsham

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:22:25 GMT someone who may be "Alan Holmes"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>But if they cannot hear a bell, how would they hear your voice?

> Voices are capable of a wide range of sounds. These can start off
> gently and be raised in volume and insistence if necessary.

And by then you are close enough to actually shout directly in their ears,
maybe a bit late as you are about to hit them!

Alan

> --
> David Hansen, Edinburgh
> I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
> http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

"Holly, in France" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mark Dawson <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> I've got a Dog Dazer. .......snip
>> However, I spotted a dog in the park that was nowhere near it's
>> owner and gave it a quick zap of the Dazer. I think it works
>> because it leapt backwards in the air as if i'd shot it! Recommended,
>> based on that one experience!

> Hi all, a quick escape from lurkdom....Anyone else tried anything like
> this? There are a number of routes I don't like to take because I get
> chased by dogs. I never know how to handle the situation and it's worse
> if the children are with me. Any thoughts please?

I had wondered about taking a pressurised paint can, spray car paint, like
the grafittie idiots use, and spray it into the dogs face.

Alan

> --
> Holly, in France
> Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool!
> http://la-plaine.chez-alice.fr/index.htm

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 25/01/2006 17:56, Peter B said,

>> A young woman approached head-on on my side on a section that was quite
>> straight so with plenty of visual warning, I kept thinking sooner or later
>> she'd alter course so I stayed on mine, initially because it was the right
>> place for me to be and later out of pig-headedness too. I ended up having to
>> pull over and stop to avoid a collision and she carried on oblivously!
>> Cooking fat indeed ;-)

> Ah - I thought I wouldn't mention that other cyclists do that on this
> forum - but I have had exactly the same situation many times. When
> collision is looking inevitable a loud "OI" often does the trick. I
> have decided that at some point the rule about keeping to the left got
> changed, and no-one told me. I hate that "Who's going to move first?"
> moment. It's the ones that move doggedly to their right that annoy me,
> as I stay doggedly to my left. I wonder if these people drive like that!

They probably do, and find the roads to be so dangerous that they have
to drive an armoured 4x4 and wouldn't dream of cycling on a road.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]