Dog problems

salide

Feb 23, 2005
I got a couple of dogs that chase me and get so close to my ankles that I swear they're going to bite me. This is especially bad because when they get that close I begin to panic and Im all over the road not even watching where Im going. Im surprised I havent been hit yet by a car. This happens every time Im on my usual route. Any advice? Mace? Electronic device? 9mm? Grenede?

I mainly resort to yelling, in a stern voice. Either "stop" or "no" or "stay" tends to do the trick. If they keep coming, all bets are off--use whatever you have. A squirt from a water bottle will usually do the trick. I have also used the "unclip and kick" method with success, where simply unclip your foot from the pedal and let the natural motion of unclipping carry your foot towards the dogs face....you can see where the rest goes. Don't let them keep bothering you because it becomes a norm to them and they will keep doing it no matter what. Put an end to it, even if you have to call animal control--unleashed loose dogs are illegal in most states now. Good luck.

salide said:
I got a couple of dogs that chase me and get so close to my ankles that I swear they're going to bite me. This is especially bad because when they get that close I begin to panic and Im all over the road not even watching where Im going. Im surprised I havent been hit yet by a car. This happens every time Im on my usual route. Any advice? Mace? Electronic device? 9mm? Grenede?

Two dogs hummm...my ride yesterday consisted of a least 8 chasing dogs.I lose track here in the wild kingdom of East Tennnessee.
Either make friends with the dogs by friendly gestures or get off the bike and bring the dogs to an understanding and they won't get too close afterwards.
You don't have to necessarily hit all of them just let them know that you will stop and turn on them.
They will remember both. I even have a couple of dogs that will defend me to the point of kicking some A** on my behalf if a dog tries to chase me.
I also find that they fade out over 25 mph.

I think there is a good side to be chased by dogs... it improves your fitness level !! But the best way to get rid of them is to try and turn back and start chasing them yourself - seriously. Dogs bark a lot but they are sooo scared from bikes chasing them. You have to try it but if it is a big and vicious dog, I am not sure my trick will work ...

salide said:

You got it. Dogs have predatory programing. If you act as prey they will chase you. Don't act as prey. If one comes out, slow down and chase it. Many dogs panic when the game is thrown off like that.
We used to do little things with the ones in my nieghborhood growing up(nobody tied) like let it get close and bunny hop the back wheel in their face. But mostly, they will get startled and flee simply with a turn-skid and a stern look. Do not flee unless you have a clear shot or cars. Cars can be a help, since few dogs track more than one target at a time. If you can ride with a partner and know where the offender is, have your partner stay back enough the dog won't see. Dog comes out, partner closes and simply says something to the dog at point blank range. Dog panics majorly.

I've been chased by dogs three times this week on a MUT trail that has signs posted requiring animals be restrained. None of these dogs were leashed and all were very large. I've been carrying my pepper spray in my back jersey pocket and just spraying it in their general direction as they start to chase me. Only one got a direct hit, the others changed their mind after getting a whiff of the stuff. ****** me off that, as the dogs started to chase me, none of the owners did anything to try and stop them. They were oblivious of the actions of their dogs. Not one even hollered at me for spraying their dog? I should have stopped and explained their liability if these dogs were to knock someone off their bikes at 15-20 mph, but I didn't. Maybe next time.

You know there is a reason we are on the top of the food chain here and just because you are on a bike do not change that. For about a million years there has been no no dog that could match a human with a pointed stick. So basically show the dog that your the boss here and don't act like some frightend child. If the dog gets close turn into it and let it taste some spinning spokes. Slow down and confront the dog. If you have a frame mounted pump take a few swings at it (remember the pointed stick). In the end dogs are just dumb animals you are not so stop being afraid and use your brain to out wit the dog and reclaim your place on top of the food chain.

salide said:
Go after the dogs first. When you know you're getting close, wait for them to see you, but when you make eye contact, go right for them, hop off your bike, and wrestle them to the ground...biting, scratching, and pawing at them. That should give them a good scare and keep them off your ankles for a while. It's all about dominance, and if you show them who's boss, they'll learn to stay away :D

As a dog owner, I feel bad about hurting someone else's dog, so I either get off my bike or slow down and dump water on the dog(s). Carry a water pistol, but make sure it looks nothing like a real gun...

I was actually bitten by someone's dog when I was carrying a long board through a trail in the park near my home. The bite broke my skin on my thigh, drawing some blood. I tried to protect myself with my board, but eventually had to give the dog a light whack, which was not fun. And the woman who owned the dog just stood there, and didn't say sorry.

A situation to be avoided.

spacefuzz said:
I know of a guy who filled his water bottle with amonia, that made the dogs stop.

Hope he remember it when the thirsty came … :D

I always carry my halt with me. Although I can outrun most of these mangy mutts I have to deal with, why should I have to? As a doglover with no dog yet, I still feel no compassion for these unrestrained monrgels. Remember the old saying "All's fair in love and war". Use every means necessary to strike back with equal or stronger force. Most dogs scare easily, but some are not affected by anything but brute force. Carry a cleaned old bike chain and wait for the right moment to swing. No dog likes pain, so use that to your advantage. I have even been researching bear spray myself. It has a much stronger spray, and a larger pattern. One good hit with that stuff would send anything running and crying for it's Mommy, lol. Good luck. Hopefully your problem is solved already.

Calling animal control does no good around my neighborhood. Multiple calls with no action. If it's not a rabid killing machine, they don't give a damn.

I note you say it almost always happens on your usual route . . . perhaps you could save yourself and the dogs some hassle by bypassing the offending road? :)

Well, that would be all well and good, but who is the one that hassled? The dogs? lol. Shoot them a couple of times with spray and they will possibly never chase anyone again, fearing what might happen the next time. Changing your riding route is only showing these owners that it's perfectly okay to let their dogs run wild in the streets. The dogs running inside the house with their snoots stained orange, and whimpering, might actually get them thinking.

In my case, my street butts up against a toll road, and I have no real choice. Dogs or cars whizzing by at 15 over the limit, hmmm... I pick the dogs, and carry some spray.

I also hold no hope of the dogowners on my street learning anything. I see them every once in a while standing in the yard. Imagine Onslo(sp) from "Keeping up appearances" but covered in tattoos and chewing tobacco. And that's the MOTHER figure, lmao. The adult son looks like a Reject from HBO's Oz. It's also hard to spot a dog coming out for the daily chase, from behind the 5 pickups in the front yard. They've been on the porch during a few chases, and they act like nothings even going on. I'm often surprised they don't join the dog in the attack, lmao.

The neighborhood is coming up, but not fast enough, hehe.

Back from my jogging days. Whenever I was approached by a dog I would bend down and pretend to throw something at the dog. Worked every time.

salide said:

A previous responder suggested spraying ammonia. It works.

Years ago I had a paper route in Montana and was plagued by a couple dogs that took great relish in chasing me with teeth bared and barking. I took a spray bottle and filled it with Parson's ammonia. The next delivery day here came one of the problem dogs. One spray at close range ended this creatures appetite for news carriers.:)

i just do these:

1. do the same thing cops do on open roads(P-I-T) by making my bike to a wave manuvre.

2.kick them!

3. MY MOST FAVORITE, avoid them by riding thru small spaces.

obxbes said:
Back from my jogging days. Whenever I was approached by a dog I would bend down and pretend to throw something at the dog. Worked every time.
Not a bad idea at all.;)