Dog Trailer wanted

John B

Guest
Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take a
_very_ small dog on rides.

The best option is clearly a trailer and there are several around on the
web, but does anyone have any first hand experiences or even sources of
second-hand trailers?

John B

In article <[email protected]>, John B
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take
> a _very_ small dog on rides.

> The best option is clearly a trailer and there are several around
> on the web, but does anyone have any first hand experiences or even
> sources of second-hand trailers?

To carry a dog you are better with a rigid bottomed trailer with some
old towels or clothing which the dog is accustomed to.

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:13:27 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:
> Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take a
> _very_ small dog on rides.
>
> The best option is clearly a trailer and there are several around on the
> web, but does anyone have any first hand experiences or even sources of
> second-hand trailers?

There is a homeless guy in our town who has an old bike and a luggage
trailer full of his stuff. His bike also has a basket on the front which
is where he keeps his two little dogs. They seem perfectly happy there but
I can see how it wouldn't be the recommended solution.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

On 11 Apr 2006 12:46:39 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>If you're talking very small dog (i.e. toy or teacup) have you
>considered a basket on the handlebars?

If it's not a dog, but really an alien, it can also help you fly...

John B wrote:

> Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take a
> _very_ small dog on rides.
>
> The best option is clearly a trailer...

Eh?

If the dog is very small, the traditional solution is a basket on the
handlebars. Also, it might not weigh down a trailer enough to stop it
bouncing and tipping over.

I suppose a box on the rear rack would do as well.

Colin McKenzie

John B wrote:
> sources of
> second-hand trailers?

....try your local leisure bike hire places. They have a habit of
selling off their stock each season or so. Sandy Morton of this parish
is, er, quite remote, but is such a bike hire person.

R.

Richard richard at percival dot demon dot co dot tld for united
kingdom wrote:
> John B wrote:
>> sources of
>> second-hand trailers?

> ...try your local leisure bike hire places. They have a habit
> of selling off their stock each season or so. Sandy Morton
> of this parish is, er, quite remote, but is such a bike hire
> person.

Sandy may be remote to some but it's a nice place to visit.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Colin McKenzie wrote:
> John B wrote:
>
>> Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take a
>> _very_ small dog on rides.

> > The best option is clearly a trailer...

> Eh?
>
> If the dog is very small, the traditional solution is a basket on the
> handlebars.

These were the first thoughts of my client too, but _I_ certainly
wouldn't want something that could so affect the bike's steering.
The dog is one of those small lively yapping things that lunges out at
anything that comes close. I can visualise it up on its hind legs in a
front basket yapping at all passing cyclists.

Also, it might not weigh down a trailer enough to stop it
> bouncing and tipping over.

Does that happen to empty trailers? I often pull an empty Vitelli and it
has never even got close to lifting a wheel. My now departed Burley
d'Lite never flipped either.

> I suppose a box on the rear rack would do as well.

Maybe, except for raising the CoG.

I still reckon a trailer is the best option tho', so will stick with
that idea for now.

John B

wrote:
> John B wrote:
>
>> sources of
>> second-hand trailers?

> ...try your local leisure bike hire places. They have a habit of
> selling off their stock each season or so.

A good tip. Thanks.

John B

the.Mark wrote:
> Richard richard at percival dot demon dot co dot tld for united
> kingdom wrote:
>
>>John B wrote:
>>
>>> sources of
>>>second-hand trailers?

>>...try your local leisure bike hire places. They have a habit
>>of selling off their stock each season or so. Sandy Morton
>>of this parish is, er, quite remote, but is such a bike hire
>>person.

> Sandy may be remote to some but it's a nice place to visit.

I wonder if my client would pay my expenses ;-)

John B

On 11 Apr 2006 12:46:39 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> If you're talking very small dog (i.e. toy or teacup) have you
> considered a basket on the handlebars?

The poor canine wouldn't be safe unless it had a helmut.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> The poor canine wouldn't be safe unless it had a helmut.

Shirley you mean a helmutt?
--
Regards
Alex

in message <[email protected]>,
triddletree ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Also, it might not weigh down a trailer enough to stop it
>> bouncing and tipping over.

> Does that happen to empty trailers? I often pull an empty Vitelli and
> it has never even got close to lifting a wheel. My now departed Burley
> d'Lite never flipped either.

I used to flip my bike hod quite regularly, but mostly at high speed for
which I don't think it was designed. Weight in the trailer does increase
stability enough but I would imagine you can flip any two wheel trailer
if you take a bumpy downhill bend fast enough.

;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous

John B wrote:
> Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take a
> _very_ small dog on rides.
>
> The best option is clearly a trailer and there are several around on the
> web, but does anyone have any first hand experiences or even sources of
> second-hand trailers?
>
> John B

There's a guy who lives near me whom I reguarly pass on the road. He
is invariably carrying a small terrier, who sits in a basket mounted on
top of the back carrier.

The basket is permanently fixed on, and appears to have been made from
an old supermarket basket - it's just about big enough for the dog to
lie down curled up in it (I suppose that indicates the size of the dog
-a couple of kg. I guess?). At other times, the dog sits up and looks
out.

The dog isn''t tied in with a leash or anything (which would be
lethally dangerous both for dog and rider) , so must be staying in
voluntarily, and appears to be enjoying the ride.

The bottom and forward-facing side of the basket are lined with what
appears to be hardboard, presumably to stop the dogs paws from sticking
through the mesh of the basket, and to keep the wind off him while
travelling. He also has a small blanket to lie on.

So, I know it's only one example, and a fairly small and well behaved
(well trained?) dog, but it's possible to use a back basket for this
purpose.

hth,

bookieb.

in message <[email protected]>,
bookieb ('[email protected]') wrote:

> John B wrote:
>> Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take a
>> _very_ small dog on rides.
>>
>> The best option is clearly a trailer and there are several around on
>> the web, but does anyone have any first hand experiences or even
>> sources of second-hand trailers?

> There's a guy who lives near me whom I reguarly pass on the road. He
> is invariably carrying a small terrier, who sits in a basket mounted on
> top of the back carrier.
>
> The basket is permanently fixed on, and appears to have been made from
> an old supermarket basket - it's just about big enough for the dog to
> lie down curled up in it (I suppose that indicates the size of the dog
> -a couple of kg. I guess?). At other times, the dog sits up and looks
> out.

My father, in old age, had a small dog he transported loose in a basket
on the handlebars of his bike. The dog jumped out and ran under the
front wheel, and was killed (my father was also hurt in the resulting
crash). He was extremely upset by the accident.

If you're going to transport a dog on a bike, I would recommend making
sure it can't jump out.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> bookieb ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

> > John B wrote:
> >> Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take a

<snip>
> If you're going to transport a dog on a bike, I would recommend making
> sure it can't jump out.
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Sorry about your father's accident, and the loss of the dog.

If the dog is going to jump, it (probably) and you (definitely) are
going to be better off if it jumps off the back, away from the bike,
rather than off the front and possibly straight into your path.

I'm having trouble imagining a restraint that a dog would put up with,
that would prevent the dog from getting out without causing it to be
hung, or to swing into one or other of the wheels if it did get over
the side. All I can think of is one of those chest and shoulder
harnesses, clipped to both sides of the basket.

If I *had* to do it myself, I'd look towards one of those fully
enclosed transport boxes that are used for taking small animals on
airplanes or in cars.

I think a lot depends on the temprament of the dog in question, and
whether it enjoys the bike rides or not.... If it wasn't necessary,
I'd think twice about bringing the dog.

Regards,

bookieb.

Colin McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:
> John B wrote:
>
>> Today's batch of cycle-training included someone who wants to take a
>> _very_ small dog on rides.
> >
> > The best option is clearly a trailer...

> Eh?
>
> If the dog is very small, the traditional solution is a basket on the
> handlebars. Also, it might not weigh down a trailer enough to stop it
> bouncing and tipping over.

is the dog small enough to fit in a bottle cage?

the.Mark wrote:
> Richard richard at percival dot demon dot co dot tld for united
> kingdom wrote:
> > John B wrote:
> >> sources of
> >> second-hand trailers?

> > ...try your local leisure bike hire places. They have a habit
> > of selling off their stock each season or so. Sandy Morton
> > of this parish is, er, quite remote, but is such a bike hire
> > person.

> Sandy may be remote to some but it's a nice place to visit.

I did indeed sing his paraises to an Australian family I met on the
train today. They have just moved to Glasgow and like getting out and
about.

...d

In article <[email protected]>,
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Sandy may be remote to some but it's a nice place to visit.

> I did indeed sing his paraises to an Australian family I met on the
> train today. They have just moved to Glasgow and like getting out
> and about.

Thanks

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !