Doggon Dogs!!

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by tjodit, Sep 29, 2005.

1. tjodit

tjodit New Member

Ok, this is becoming a real problem. I ride county roads because I live in the "country" and because there is a whole lot less traffic. However there seems to be a healthy dog population along these roads. Don't get me wrong I love dogs. My dog Duke is the best! But I've trained him to obey commands like sit and stay and to not chase traffic. The last couple of times out I had dogs chase me down. Sunday I had a dog on either side of me trying to bite my ankles. I yelled at them to stay but they had other things on their minds. I managed to out run them before they could get a taste of my flesh. Then yesterday the same two dogs came after me again. This time I slowed way down and yelled at them to stay. Seems the prey instinct isn't as great if the prey is moving slowly. But then I ran into another dog. He was bound and determined to get me no matter what. So I immediately tried to outrun him. I tried to clip out and kick him in the head but that is impossible to do when pedaling for your life - or at least for the life of your ankle. So, last night when I got home I dug out my pepper spray that I used to carry when I went hiking. But the problem is how to keep it in reach when riding. Anyone have any suggestions? Or any other suggestions how to keep from getting attacked by dogs when out on the road. Even though I've made light of the situation I was really scared what would happen if they made me crash and I was laying on the ground. What really gets me is that the dog's owners were in the yard and never even called him off. I'd like to pepper spray them!

Tags:

2. Mellic

Mellic New Member

When I read your post I couldn't help but giggle. I have come across a few dogs over the years. Sometimes I stop, growl, and chase them away. Other times (when the dog is scarey looking) I just outrun them. Once I squirted one in the face with my water bottle and it didn't like that very much.

3. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

Do a search for "dogs" on this site and you'll come up with all kinds of info.

4. tjodit

tjodit New Member

Thanks, I did find some helpfull info, but to be honest I don't much like some of the other male dominated threads...seems to be too much BS and testosterone...don't think I'll be putting any hollow points through the skulls of any of the neighborhood dogs. Or guttin' them open with my Rambo knife. Why can't WOMEN discuss with WOMEN the same subjects that may or may not be covered on the non Women's Cycling forums? I don't think the guys can truly appreciate some issues that women face or how we tend to feel about some things. That's not to say that I don't value the guys' opinions...I do. I'm asking the guys on our group rides questions all the time. I just prefer to ask my questions here to avoid some of that other stuff.

5. ausgirl

ausgirl New Member

I've also encountered a few dogs on my rides and the most helpful things i have found are firstly, the squirt with the water bottle - most people i know do that and find it effective. Secondly, if you are able to yell really loud, and aggressively and make your voice deep, that stops a lot of dogs in their tracks. Just try yelling something simple like "get lost" and repeat it if you need to. I think that it makes you sound like you are bigger and more dangerous than you really are - and they sure don't expect that sort of response from their so called "prey".

6. tjodit

tjodit New Member

On Sunday I had a doberman and what looked like a large pitbull chase after me. Talk about scared...I was VERY scared then. I work for the county and asked someone I know in the Sheriff's dept to send someone out there. They did and the owners said they are usually fenced in but that they were letting them run around that day...just my luck! So, hopefully I won't have to deal with them again. Usually shouting STAY or NO stops a dog. But when they keep coming full steam then I can safely bet the dog's aren't trained. And an untrained dog is an unsafe dog.