UK and Europe · Public discussion

Dogs

Started by John Gibson · · Last activity · 51 posts · 2,517 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
28 May 2003
Last activity
1 June 2003
Original author
John Gibson
Posts
51
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,517
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 51
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:09:46 +0000 (UTC), "John Gibson" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [Here SNIPPY, SNIPPY]

    Quoted message said:

    So dog owners get the massage. Eat my brake dust [censored].

    Speaking as one whose had a couple of kites damaged, one last year, the other (same kite) the year
    before, I say to you, Gibbo, "Well done, mate!"

    T'is a shame that no one's invented a 'bent-type bike with the chainwheel on the back!

    I prefer cats, myself, but am not anti-hound. It's the owners I'd like to put on a slow barbeque.
    Double standards, as you say.

    James

    --
    homepage.ntlworld.comDscf0632.jpg

  2. John Gibson said:

    How many times have you heard an owner say " Oh he"s ok he wont bite"

    Similarly, Gibbo: "Oh, he only ever chases kites."

    That would chasing - as in attacking - those kites that are sitting stationary on the ground also!

    James

    --
    homepage.ntlworld.comDscf0632.jpg

  3. John B said:

    I usually stop and bark loudly at them. I have no idea what I'm saying but it seems to totally
    confuse them ;-)

    You're probably questioning their parentage or suggesting that their latest meal of Doggy Dins was
    laced with salmonella - or was it Shimanolla?

    James

    --
    homepage.ntlworld.comDscf0632.jpg

  4. Ric said:

    "marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Would you have prefered the rider to have been bitten?

    No, not at all. But taking pleasure from seeing an animal hurt or killed through no fault of its
    own is pathetic. And to boast about it on an ng, trying to pretend that it is funny, is even more
    pathetic.

    You are a dog AICMFP Now run along your doggy dins is ready.

    John B

  5. "Ric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ric said:

    You sound like the sort of person who laughs when small brown kids get blown up by american
    smart-missiles....

    And you sound like you're the sort of person who confuses two totally different, and separate,
    issues ...


    No, the OP was taking pleasure in seeing an animal suffer.

    Wrong again Ric. I did not take pleasure, I took action because I felt threatened. But hey, dont let
    facts get in the way of a good lie.

    Gibbo.

    --
    Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - mailgate.orgmailgate.org

  6. "James Hodson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:09:46 +0000 (UTC), "John Gibson" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I prefer cats, myself, but am not anti-hound. It's the owners I'd like to put on a slow barbeque.
    Double standards, as you say.

    James


    The meat would be more tender - but *far* more likely to contain harmful pathogens than even
    dog-meat, which is particularly tough and greasy (this advice came from an old Chinese aunt).

    Alex

  7. Ric said:

    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ric said:

    You sound like the sort of person who laughs when small brown kids get blown up by american
    smart-missiles....

    And you sound like you're the sort of person who confuses two totally different, and separate,
    issues ...


    No, the OP was taking pleasure in seeing an animal suffer.

    Which has what, exactly, to do with " .. small brown kids get blown up by american smart-missiles" ?

    I actually didn't read that he took any pleasure from the encounter, in fact I think he was
    [censored]-scared and retaliated in a forceful manner, commensurate with the percieved threat. Yes, he
    posted in a light-hearted vein, but certainly didn't appear to gain any pleasure from the incident.

    --

    Completed 1708 Seti work units in 12974 hours setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edusetiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

  8. Ric blathered:

    Quoted message said:

    Yawn. You are as bad as car drivers on who regard all cyclists as fair game. Just learn to respect
    that other people have different pleasures to your own. You'll be a nicer person for it.

    Perhaps the dog owner should learn that cyclists have a right to ride on cyclepaths without being
    molested by a predatory animal that will instinctively give chase, and which the cyclist cannot know
    will not bite.

    Perhaps the dog owner should bear in mind HC rule 42 when walking his animal: "Dogs ... Keep it on a
    short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists."

    I've been chased by dogs on cyclepaths. I've been debiked by an uncontrolled dog running in front of
    me, and had numerous near misses in similar circumstances. A colleague of mine was signed off work
    for 6 weeks to recover from his injuries after being debiked in the same way. I shouldn't have to
    put up with hazards from uncontrolled dogs, nor should the OP, nor should any cyclist.

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( juggler.netdanny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

  9. "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ric wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ric wrote:
    > You sound like the sort of person who laughs when small brown kids get blown up by american
    > smart-missiles....

    And you sound like you're the sort of person who confuses two totally different, and separate,
    issues ...


    No, the OP was taking pleasure in seeing an animal suffer.

    Which has what, exactly, to do with " .. small brown kids get blown up by american
    smart-missiles" ?

    I actually didn't read that he took any pleasure from the encounter, in fact I think he was
    [censored]-scared and retaliated in a forceful manner, commensurate with the percieved threat. Yes, he
    posted in a light-hearted vein, but certainly didn't appear to gain any pleasure from the
    incident.

    --

    Quoted message said:

    Completed 1708 Seti work units in 12974 hours setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edusetiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu


    You always hear 'it's not the dogs it's a few irresponsible owners who spoil it'. ok lets make them
    responsible and pay. I'll put my cards on the table. I absolutely detest dogs and cats and their
    owners. However I am not unreasonable. All dogs should be licenced. The fee should be mid range say
    £200 pa People caught in possession without licence should received a life ban and fine. Two yellows
    = red. Red is life ban for owner. Public crapping and non-clearing should be a yellow card for the
    owner. Persistant barking when dog left for hours while 'dog lover' at work ten hours a day - yellow
    card. Biting should be a red card for the owner and mandatory destruction of the pet. Licence should
    pay for Dog police.

    Then hopefully we will have fewer dogs. Better more responsible owners. Dog would only be looked
    after by responsible people. Hence better for dogs.

  10. Alex Graham said:


    Anyway I was going along this towpath the other week and saw a person ahead carrying a dogless
    lead. Uh-oh, I thought - wheres the dog. As that thought flashed through my brain the dog flashed
    out of the undergrowth, careered across the path and under my front wheel. Well not under but more
    of a glancing blow to it. A split second later my bike was in a perpendicular plane to the path.

    I find that I'm ok while my bike is in a plane perpendicular to the path, its when it in a parrallel
    plane that it hurts and I stop moving forward.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    home.in.tum.deoe quotefix

  11. Ric said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    You sound like the sort of person who laughs when small brown kids get


    blown

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    up by american smart-missiles....

    Would you have prefered the rider to have been bitten?

    No, not at all. But taking pleasure from seeing an animal hurt or killed through no fault of its
    own is pathetic. And to boast about it on an ng, trying to pretend that it is funny, is even more
    pathetic.

    Quoted message said:

    Any turd dispenser off the lead is fair game for anything to happen to
    it.

    Yawn. You are as bad as car drivers on who regard all cyclists as fair game. Just learn to respect
    that other people have different pleasures to your own. You'll be a nicer person for it.

    I note you snipped the point about you having no real argument and having to rely on emotion! Want
    another crack at it?

  12. Simononon' sbennett and my domain is widerworld said:

    If a dog chases you, just stop and talk to it.

    dogs = weird

    Quoted message said:

    So there I was at about 9 pm lights on all legal, belting through my local park which is a cycle
    path when this big ugly black dog gives

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    snapping and barking as I pedalled like mad to escape. It was like a frigging SAM chasing an F16
    I could not shake the mother off. So I screeched to a halt full bang on the Shimano discs and
    let this dog have a facefull of Reebok trainer. The dogs owner then caught us up and had a go at
    me about booting the dog and cycling too fast and he might call the old bill. So I asked him
    "where his dog [censored] was?" He looked a bit confused so I said to him that obviously he has a bag
    full of his dogs [censored] that he has cleaned up from the pavement. He stood there shaking his head
    as I reminded him that his dogs stinking festering pile of logs was probably smothered all over
    the pathway for all to tread in and cycle across.

    I also demanded to know why the stinky black dog was not on a lead? No answer to that either
    suprise surprise.

    It never ceases to amaze me peoples double standards, and you might think I give cyclists a bad
    name but we will never be as anti social as people who let their flea bitten mutts [censored] all over
    the path.

    So dog owners get the massage. Eat my brake dust [censored].

    Gibbo.

    --
    Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - mailgate.orgmailgate.org

    Not as weird as top posters!

  13. AndyMorris said:

    I find that I'm ok while my bike is in a plane perpendicular to the path, its when it in a
    parrallel plane that it hurts and I stop moving forward.

    Hurts even more when you're in a parallel plane to the path and you don't stop moving forward.

    --
    Dave...

  14. On Wed, 28 May 2003 10:29:22 +0100 someone who may be "Gadget"
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I've been chased by dogs but I've found that by letting them get close enough and braking sharply
    enough, they usually run into the back wheel. Sometime this requires rapid accelleration before
    they come to and start to savage parts of bike or body.

    Let them bite the back wheel.

    Dogs are often far more intelligent than their owner. A few missing teeth are a lesson few dogs
    will forget.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  15. I had two interesting recent experiences with dogs...

    The first time I was out on the mountain bike when two sheep dogs started to chase me on a hill. I
    was that pumped up with adrenaline that I stopped the bike and chased the stunned dogs back to where
    they came from. I fumbled for my pump for the rally which never came.

    The second time was when I entered a local park and a spaniel started growing at me for "invading
    his territory". I shouted "Bad Dog" and pointed my finger at it and low and behold it slinked off.

    Failing all that there is always the trusty aluminium barrelled pump.

    If a dog attacks me then I regard it is out of control and fair game, deserving what it gets. I
    strongly discourage my dog from even looking at cyclists.... the same way as I discourage him away
    from sheep.

    Saw an interesting thing last week on the Forth & Clyde Canal tow path, a stupid boy on a bike was
    actually encouraging his yapping mutt to chase him.

    Has anyone tried using a Dog Dazer?

    Wallace

  16. On Thu, 29 May 2003 00:09:34 +0000, Marc did issue forth:

    Quoted message said:

    Not as weird as top posters!

    And they aren't as weird as people who quote an entire message and put one line at the bottom!

    Huw "Think I'll introduce helmets here and start a real flamewar" Pritchard

  17. "Ric" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:


    "John Gibson" <[email hidden]> wrote in messag

    What a whiney spineless little man you must be. Scared of a dog! LOL!!! Then you go around
    boasting about kicking it.

    Its not so unusual to find people scared of certain animals. How narrow minded of you to have missed
    that. Strange though it seems its you that has pretty much been thrown to the lions in this thread.

    Quoted message said:


    Is it really so traumatic for you to have a dog bark at you? Perhaps you should see a psychiatrist
    for treatment over irrational fear syndrome.

    Not that traumatic,I am not a dog lover but neither do they scare me as such. But biting the back
    wheel and acting in a threatening manner because the owner has discarded his duty of responsibility
    then yes I consider it ok and reasonable to protect myself. My so called irrational fear does not
    mean I have to start another thread in disguise to "backbite" as you have done. Also when are you
    going to explain the American smart missiles statement? and the justification that it is ok for
    another poster to have his Kites attacked by dogs?

    So come on Ric, for the benefit of the thread lets have the explanation why you think people here
    like to see kids killed by American bombs, and how this relates to cyclists being chased by dogs.

    --
    Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - mailgate.orgmailgate.org

  18. Huw Pritchard said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not as weird as top posters!

    And they aren't as weird as people who quote an entire message and put one line at the bottom!

    Forced upon me by the actions of the top poster. :-(

    Quoted message said:


    Huw "Think I'll introduce helmets here and start a real flamewar" Pritchard

    Can't you throw in a few sheep slurs as well? That nornally gets the pot boiling

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    jaceeprint.demon.co.ukjaceeprint.demon.co.uk

  19. Quoted message said:

    The second time was when I entered a local park and a spaniel started growing at me for "invading
    his territory". I shouted "Bad Dog" and pointed my finger at it and low and behold it slinked off.


    I dunno much about dog's, but isn't the problem when you come across a natural pack leader:- This
    may be tripe, but I thought that about 1 in 50 dogs are virtually born to lead, and so will refuse
    to be subserviant, and so will not give in like this.

    Admittedly the odds are in our favour, but I bet if your 1 in 50 comes in, that the dog will be a
    big one that will take some fighting, rather than something more punt-able.

    Anyone else had enough of being in the park with your toddlers, and dog owners allowing their hound
    to run up to your toddler: "Its alright, he loves kids"

  20. On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:09:46 +0000 (UTC), "John Gibson" <[email hidden]> in
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [story about being chased by a dog snipped]

    I've never been chased by a dog. But several years ago, I was cycling up the monster hill to Rowen
    Youth Hostel. I couldn't cycle any further so I dismounted to walk up the hill (wimp). As I
    propped myself tripod style with my head on my saddle, a small dog wandered up and urinated over
    my front forks.

    Love and amazement from Rich x

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.