Dogs and bike worse than dogs and mailmen?

Packerbacker

Jun 14, 2011
Hi Intresting topic I live out in the farmland of Wisconsin it'a quiet lots of starts farm life great place to live however the disadvantage is when Im cycling. Love the pieceful ride until I hear the sound of paws hauling ass after my heels and a woof that means trouble so I have to kick it into high gear and hope to outrun the beast. this weekend I had a rotti and sometype of ofther larger dog come after me. I keep pepper spray with me for just the reason though by the time I hear the bark Im usually less worried about spraying them and more worried about getting away. And mailmen thought they had probs sheee's.

My question is what have your encounters been with mans supposidly best friend unless your on 2 wheels and how have you handle the problem?

On the few occasions I've been chased by a dog over the years, I've been able to drive off any that got too close by squirting them with a water bottle. I guess dogs don't like to have water squirted at them even in hot weather.

The main problem I have with dogs is a lot of their owners walk them with those 30 foot long retractable leashes that seem to be so popular, and it's just like a moving 30 foot long trip wire stretched between the dog and the owner. That's a real pain to get around, especially when the dog owner is listening to music, or talking on a cell phone, and doesn't hear you announcing your approach.....

My wife and I do a good job of keeping our dogs secured on our property. Although I am fairly sure that if they staged a prison break they would be out front chasing cars and bikes alike./img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

I have never been caught by a dog yet but the ones that get close enough get the water treatment.

I have one beagle that I am sure is doping. Little ******* gets faster all the time. My biggest fear is hitting a dog and crashing.

The worst for me was not when I was on my bike but I was out running. The dog came across the yard at full speed, right across the street and lunged at me with teeth showing. I hit him in the head with my fist and he went to the ground. He then came at me again and I punched him on the head once more. The whole time I am thinking I need to kill this dog right now. Then the owner came running out of the house and called the dog off. The lady said she was so sorry and it would never happen again. So far everytime I go past that house I see the dog chained up now.

It seems to be more of a problem in rural settings than here in the city. The only problem I have had is one instance I was riding past a fenced in dog park and one dog chased after me as I rode past. That didn't bother me as much, dog was on the other side of the fence, as the owner saying "Get the bike. Get the bike" I informed the owner that was the wrong thing to say. Haven't had a problem since in the times I've gone past the same place. I do carry a brand of Mace, same thing postal workers carry on routes but you are correct, fight or flight takes over. In this case flight comes first, which is appropriate, then fight if necessary in the event the dog does catch up. I would say that you can't control dogs on the loose especially in a rural setting. People on farms especially are going to let their dogs run loose to control predators. The only suggestion I would offer is keeping doing what your doing and be prepared. Maybe even a H2O and ammonia mix in a spare water bottle (different, brighter color of course- don't want to get them mixed up).

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

............My biggest fear is hitting a dog and crashing.

That's what I worry about too. Most of the dogs that have chased me are just doing it because it's fun to chase things, especially when I'm telling them "c'mon boy...you can run faster". /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

But, I do worry about hitting a dog or getting tangled up in a long leash..

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

But, I do worry about hitting a dog or getting tangled up in a long leash..
Exactly, not to mention being bitten or having you tires chewed. Of course here in Texas we have small claims courts for just that sort of thing. What? You think I'm gonna pay for the damage someone else's dog does to me or my bike?

Years ago I wasted an expensive frame pump on a dog that got my sock. I had just climbed out of a valley in Virginia way back in the woods and was too winded to out run anything. There was a house at the top of the hill and there were a bunch of people sitting on the front porch. Suddenly a black good sized mutt came running from behind the house. I tried to get going but pulled my pump loose too. The dog got close, grabbed my sock, and I let him have it. He came back a couple of more times and I smacked him each time, then I suppose he had enough. I glanced up at the porch and these hillbillies, er...people were having a good old time laughing and joking with each other. I continued my ride, but it was kind of spooky, I had the song Dueling Banjos running through my mind for the rest of the ride.

After that, I started using a strong mix of water and ammonia in a small spray bottle. If I couldn't out run them, usually just a small squirt in their general direction stopped them dead in their tracks. I suppose that they intuitively know that any thing that smells that bad could hurt them. Now I just use mace since it is now easily available and affordable.

The ammonia works well as it smells like urine to a dog. Dominant dogs urinate on or near dogs they consider to be subordinate or will urinate over where a subordinate has marked territory. With the exception of very aggressive alphas, most dogs will hit the brakes when sprayed with even a very dilute solution of ammonia. A teaspoon of non-sudsing ammonia in a quart of water and a SuperSoaker water pistol works great. Be aware that an aggressive alpha may consider this a challenge as you are announcing that you are now the dominant alpha on the block. In this case pepper spray might be a better option.

Originally Posted by Myosmith .

The ammonia works well as it smells like urine to a dog. Dominant dogs urinate on or near dogs they consider to be subordinate or will urinate over where a subordinate has marked territory. With the exception of very aggressive alphas, most dogs will hit the brakes when sprayed with even a very dilute solution of ammonia. A teaspoon of non-sudsing ammonia in a quart of water and a SuperSoaker water pistol works great. Be aware that an aggressive alpha may consider this a challenge as you are announcing that you are now the dominant alpha on the block. In this case pepper spray might be a better option.
Good points. However, it's not the smell, ammonia also replaces oxygen in the respiratory system causing the "breathless" sensation experienced on exposure. Then there's the fact that ammonia is an irritant. It really has noting to do with the smell itself. A dog can be alpha all it wants, all day and all night and it will still bow down to ammonia.Only only mentioned it as a possible low cost option. I carry the postal service version of mace.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia

I'll have to try the ammonia solution, maybe in some red pepper tea. My cayenne "tea", by the way, is far stronger than any commercially-available mace, and I've never had anything, or anyone, for that matter, able to stand it. Cayenne tea is recommended in chinese herbal manuals for eye problems, as it causes profuse tearing. It also causes choking when inhaled. There are no known side effects.

As kdelong noted, some folks seem to derive great amusement watching their dogs menace others. I have a former in-law that was like that, and her dog got hurt as a result. She of course didn't think that was very amusing, and screamed over and over through her sobs and tears: "I didn't know THAT could happen". Dumb ****. Personally, I think that if you're so sick as to derive pleasure and amusement from encouraging your dog and watching while it attacks or harrasses someone passing by, you should be stomped shitless and your pets destroyed. Or sterilized.

I realise I sound heartless and unsympathetic to such folks, having endured far too many, but we do live in a world of sick and thoughtless people. Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst.