Dogs Hurt!

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Tyler1407, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Tyler1407

    Tyler1407 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2004
    I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of questions! Last week while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice enough to run me off of the road, which caused me to flip my bike. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised as an experienced cyclist I know once told me that there are two types of cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2) those that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a cylcist with my first real crash. My question though is whether anyone has some good tips on avoiding a similar occurance? In your experiences, what have you found that is effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Tyler1407" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of
    > questions! Last week
    while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice
    enough to run me off of the road, which caused me to flip my
    bike. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised as an experienced
    cyclist I know once told me that there are two types of
    cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2)
    those that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a
    cylcist with my first real crash. My question though is
    whether anyone has some good tips on avoiding a similar
    occurance? In your experiences, what have you found that is
    effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

    Pepper spray. A small cannister fits neatly in the jersey
    pocket and works well on dogs (but, be aware of the wind
    direction if you have to use it!). Get the "cop strength"
    stuff, instead of the dog-specific Halt product (it's too
    weak for two-legged varmints).

    ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats -
    Software for Cyclists

  3. keydates

    keydates New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2004
    Some people may find that to be cruelty to animals, especially if it does long-term damage to the dog. Other suggestions here:
    http://chainreaction.com/dogs.htm

  4. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    more cruel to get killed because some dog ran you off the
    road or under a truck.

    my life is more important than any dog's discomfort.

    I carry the LARGE size (size of a med small can of shave
    cream) and when I go mountain biking in the boonies I carry
    the super size bear spray - 20+ foot range, puts out a
    cloud of it.

    As another poster said, keep your head and check the wind
    before you use it.

    "keydates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Some people may find that to be cruelty to animals,
    > especially if it does
    long-term damage to the dog. Other suggestions here:
    > http://chainreaction.com/dogs.htm
    >

    > --

  5. keydates

    keydates New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2004
    I suppose. Although that's an entirely different issue.

    On a completely different subject, what's with all these spammers offering links to Simpson's porn? I mean, for one it's cartoon porn. And another, this is a bike newsgroup, not a porn newsgroup.

  6. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Auto Spammers know no usenet boundaries...

    Anybody ever beaten a dog to death with a shackle lock???

    just askin...

  7. George

    George Guest

    "Tyler1407" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of
    > questions! Last week
    while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice
    enough to run me off of the road, which caused me to flip my
    bike. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised as an experienced
    cyclist I know once told me that there are two types of
    cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2)
    those that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a
    cylcist with my first real crash. My question though is
    whether anyone has some good tips on avoiding a similar
    occurance? In your experiences, what have you found that is
    effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

    If it is in an area where where you frequently ride and you
    see the owner let them know they are responsible if you get
    hurt. There is a person with a 125 lb dog about 1 mile from
    my house. The dog would run out and at you every time. I
    stopped and politely informed the owner that dogs must be
    under control and no matter how friendly he decided the dog
    was it could easily upset a bike and he would be
    responsible.

  8. Cowpunk

    Cowpunk Guest

    "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Auto Spammers know no usenet boundaries...
    >
    > Anybody ever beaten a dog to death with a shackle lock???
    >
    > just askin...

    I've had to shoot a few ferrel dogs and cats. It's not a
    very pleasant thing to do and I am a firm believer that
    people should leave their PETS at home where they belong.

  9. Around here, a dog leaving the yard and coming onto the road
    (not just running along side of me but at me) gets a face
    full of Halt from me and the owner gets a visit from the
    dogwarden the next day. I didn't use to report them, but the
    warden is a friend of my wife who told her about one dog
    owner who chased me down in his truck. She asked me "what if
    it was a little kid riding by next time?" Strangely enough,
    I have never seen that dog again after her little talk with
    the owner. Dogs coming on to the road after a bicyclist is
    agressive behavior, report it right away.

    "Tyler1407" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of
    > questions! Last week
    while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice
    enough to run me off of the road, which caused me to flip my
    bike. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised as an experienced
    cyclist I know once told me that there are two types of
    cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2)
    those that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a
    cylcist with my first real crash. My question though is
    whether anyone has some good tips on avoiding a similar
    occurance? In your experiences, what have you found that is
    effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

    > --

  10. Scott Eiler

    Scott Eiler Guest

    Michael Lester wrote:

    > Around here, a dog leaving the yard and coming onto the
    > road (not just running along side of me but at me) gets a
    > face full of Halt from me and the owner gets a visit from
    > the dogwarden the next day. I didn't use to report them,
    > but the warden is a friend of my wife who told her about
    > one dog owner who chased me down in his truck. She asked
    > me "what if it was a little kid riding by next time?"

    I once lived in a town where the dogs were a major problem
    that way. Then the town got an animal control officer who
    started actually controlling the problem. Boy, that led to a
    lot of protest politics in town meetings, right down to bits
    of parliamentary procedure which dog owners didn't
    understand... heh heh.

    > Strangely enough, I have never seen that dog again after
    > her little talk with the owner.

    I once saw a dog go out on the street to chase me - *and* it
    ran in front of a car to do it. I yelled at the owner inside
    his house, "I don't know if you care, but your dog almost
    died!" The owner yelled back, I forget what, but I never saw
    that dog again.

    > Dogs coming on to the road after a bicyclist is agressive
    > behavior, report it right away.

    Amen.

    --
    -------- Scott Eiler B{D> --------
    http://www.eilertech.com/ --------

    "It seemed an unlikely spot for a sensitive songwriter from
    Greenwich Village... She ordered the 20-ounce steak." -- Lin
    Brehmer, Chicago DJ, describing his meeting in a steakhouse
    with Suzanne Vega.

  11. RonTom

    RonTom New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    Check out http://www.udap.com/ They make this stuff to repel Grizzly Bear attackes and it reportedly works. There are several "tesitmonials" and few related to dogs (including one where the guy actualy turned around to spray the beast after getting away!)

    Anyway, I've been chased more than a few times and have had a couple close calls so I want something to ward off attacks. I was thinking of the handgun idea as advocated by a few respondents. However, dogs have come at me from either side - does anyone really think they can aim and fire from either hand while piloting a bike? Maybe Dirty Harry in the movies...

    Odd, I first came across a recommendation for the above spray in a gun magizine (Handguns, Aug./Sept. 2004 - "Outdoor Tactics")The author actually recommends this spray over a handgun for bear attacks! I consider this a "strong" recommedation as generally such sources advocate carring a big "magnum" and spending all your spare time practicing. I like riding more than shooting.

    The biggest problem I can imagine with spray is the wind caused by the velocity of the bike. However, if you're on flat ground or going down hill, most dogs can be outrun. The problem is having a dog attack on a uphill grind. You really can' outrun them then (I can't at least). In this case the wind effect from bike speed would be minimal.