Dogs, kids and bicycles.

Buck

Guest
It seems I can't get away from moronic kids these days. While pulling my daughter in the trailer
yesterday, I had another run-in with one. As I rounded the bend along my "local" loop (the one I use
for pulling the kids), I noticed two kids walking across the street up ahead. They were off the
roadway long before I reached them, but the situation became a bit more complex when a golden
retriever came running out of the woods. I picked up the pace and kept my eye on the dog until he
was behind me. When I got near the kids, the younger of the two jumped back into the street, threw
his arms wide and yelled "run over me, please!" Fortunately, he had the good sense to not actually
jump in front of me, but he was out far enough to make me nervous. So, I decided to slam on the
brakes and have a talk.

It turned out that the kid and the dog came from the same house. We went back over to have a little
chat with his parents. His mom answered the door and was surprised to see me. I told her what her
son had done and her reaction was immediate - that kid was in trouble. Before I left the house, the
kid was grounded. Then we had a little chat about the dog. She seemed reluctant at first, but when I
pointed out that my daughter was in the trailer and that a collision with her dog could injure me,
my daughter and the dog, she reluctantly agreed that the dog should be penned up.

I'll be passing that way again, but not with any kids in the trailer - at least until I'm sure that
the dog is locked up for good. As for the mom, I have to give big kudos to her. She wasted no time
in determining that her little darling was being a little punk and put himself and others at risk.
Although he has a whole lifetime of stupid things to do, I'm betting that jumping into traffic won't
be one of them.

-Buck

"Buck" <s c h w i n n _ f o r _ s a l e @ h o t m a i l . c o m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It seems I can't get away from moronic kids these days. While pulling my daughter in the trailer
> yesterday, I had another run-in with one. As I rounded the bend along my "local" loop (the one I
> use for pulling the
kids),
> I noticed two kids walking across the street up ahead. They were off the roadway long before I
> reached them, but the situation became a bit more complex when a golden retriever came running out
> of the woods. I picked
up
> the pace and kept my eye on the dog until he was behind me. When I got
near
> the kids, the younger of the two jumped back into the street, threw his
arms
> wide and yelled "run over me, please!" Fortunately, he had the good sense
> not actually jump in front of me, but he was out far enough to make me nervous. So, I decided to
> slam on the brakes and have a talk.
>
> It turned out that the kid and the dog came from the same house. We went back over to have a
> little chat with his parents. His mom answered the
door
> and was surprised to see me. I told her what her son had done and her reaction was immediate -
> that kid was in trouble. Before I left the
house,
> the kid was grounded. Then we had a little chat about the dog. She seemed reluctant at first, but
> when I pointed out that my daughter was in the trailer and that a collision with her dog could
> injure me, my daughter
and
> the dog, she reluctantly agreed that the dog should be penned up.
>
> I'll be passing that way again, but not with any kids in the trailer - at least until I'm sure
> that the dog is locked up for good. As for the mom,
> have to give big kudos to her. She wasted no time in determining that her little darling was being
> a little punk and put himself and others at
risk.
> Although he has a whole lifetime of stupid things to do, I'm betting that jumping into traffic
> won't be one of them.
>
> -Buck

I'll bet you're great fun at parties.

"GWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'll bet you're great fun at parties.

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the other threads on this group. There is one about a
kid jumping his bike in front of a car and the parents aren't taking any responsibility for their
child's stupidity. About six weeks ago, I had one of the little darlings jump in front of me and I
ended up knocking him down. When we were kids, we used to tell each other to "go play in traffic" as
an insult. I think many of the kids these days are dumb enough to try it.

So, it was nice to see an adult taking responsibility for her child's actions. We have to remember
that if no one lets the parent know about the stupid things their kids do, the kids will just keep
doing stupid things until someone gets hurt.

-Buck

Buck wrote:
> "GWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>I'll bet you're great fun at parties.
>>

> Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the other threads on this group. There is one about a
> kid jumping his bike in front of a car and the parents aren't taking any responsibility for their
> child's stupidity. About six weeks ago, I had one of the little darlings jump in front of me and I
> ended up knocking him down. When we were kids, we used to tell each other to "go play in traffic"
> as an insult. I think many of the kids these days are dumb enough to try it.

When we were kids we also used to dart across the road when a car was approaching. Now it sounds
dumb, but we had lots of fun then.

Originally posted by 223rem
Buck wrote:
> "GWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>I'll bet you're great fun at parties.
>>

> Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the other threads on this group. There is one about a
> kid jumping his bike in front of a car and the parents aren't taking any responsibility for their
> child's stupidity. About six weeks ago, I had one of the little darlings jump in front of me and I
> ended up knocking him down. When we were kids, we used to tell each other to "go play in traffic"
> as an insult. I think many of the kids these days are dumb enough to try it.

When we were kids we also used to dart across the road when a car was approaching. Now it sounds
dumb, but we had lots of fun then.

Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on Friday night a 14 year old pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen year old friend and the gun fired killing his friend . He was quote as saying"I was only trying to freak him out" . How would you like to go to that party with the childs family. A proper time and place for everything.

"223rem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Maupb.7465$P%[email protected]...

> When we were kids we also used to dart across the road when a car was approaching. Now it sounds
> dumb, but we had lots of fun then.

The difference is they don't dart now.

You might find it surprising that kids do this to bikes, but there are some that play similar games
with cars. BUT he was a very disturbed child, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was "inside" by now.

"jhuskey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on Friday night a 14 year old
> pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen year old friend and the gun fired killing his friend .
> He was quote as saying"I was only trying to freak him out" . How would you like to go to that
> party with the childs family.

<separate for effect>

> A proper time and place for everything.

!!!
When is the proper time for playing games with loaded shotguns?

jhuskey wrote:

> Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on >Friday night a 14 year old
> pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen >year old friend and the gun fired killing his friend.

No, the gun didn't fire - the kid fired the gun. Guns don't normally fire on their own. It's kind of
like the headlines "Car kills bicycle rider." Anything to keep the responsibility off the
individual.

Alexander Gilchrist

Originally posted by W K
"jhuskey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on Friday night a 14 year old
> pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen year old friend and the gun fired killing his friend .
> He was quote as saying"I was only trying to freak him out" . How would you like to go to that
> party with the childs family.

<separate for effect>

> A proper time and place for everything.

!!!
When is the proper time for playing games with loaded shotguns?

When supervised by a responsible adult. You are twisting my point. Parents should teach children the consequences of thier actions.And to clarify. There is no proper time to play games with guns, moving vehicles or otherwise.

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:09:54 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> from BT Openworld wrote:

>When is the proper time for playing games with loaded shotguns?

You mean like skeet or trap shooting?

--
real e-mail addy: kevansmith23 at yahoo dot com a ***** immensely smites on chicken parts

Originally posted by Alexander Gilch
jhuskey wrote:

> Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on >Friday night a 14 year old
> pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen >year old friend and the gun fired killing his friend.

No, the gun didn't fire - the kid fired the gun. Guns don't normally fire on their own. It's kind of
like the headlines "Car kills bicycle rider." Anything to keep the responsibility off the
individual.

Alexander Gilchrist

Why does everyone try to play semantics. The child is dead . It is a hell of a waste. That is my point. the gun fired initiated by pressure to the firing mechanism. I am not putting down guns, I own several, just responsibility ,or the lack of it in our society.

jhuskey <[email protected]> wrote:
: Why does everyone try to play semantics. The child is dead . It is a hell of a waste. That is my
: point. the gun fired initiated by pressure to the firing mechanism. I am not putting down guns, I
: own several, just responsibility ,or the lack of it in our society.

right. and the reponsible party is the one that caused the gun to fire (or drove the SUV into the
kid). so name that party and not the tool used.

it's not semantics.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

David Reuteler wrote:
> jhuskey <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Why does everyone try to play semantics. The child is dead . It is a hell of a waste. That is my
> : point. the gun fired initiated by pressure to the firing mechanism. I am not putting down guns,
> : I own several, just responsibility ,or the lack of it in our society.
>
> right. and the reponsible party is the one that caused the gun to fire (or drove the SUV into the
> kid). so name that party and not the tool used.

An armed gun can fire if you shake it or drop it. Unintentionally, that is.

David Reuteler wrote:
:: jhuskey <[email protected]> wrote:
::: Why does everyone try to play semantics. The child is dead . It is a hell of a waste. That is my
::: point. the gun fired initiated by pressure to the firing mechanism. I am not putting down guns,
::: I own several, just responsibility ,or the lack of it in our society.
::
:: right. and the reponsible party is the one that caused the gun to fire (or drove the SUV into the
:: kid). so name that party and not the tool used.

Which would be owner of the gun and not the kid.

::
:: it's not semantics.
:: --

:
: David Reuteler wrote:
:> jhuskey <[email protected]> wrote:
:> : Why does everyone try to play semantics. The child is dead . It is a hell of a waste. That is
:> : my point. the gun fired initiated by pressure to the firing mechanism. I am not putting down
:> : guns, I own several, just responsibility ,or the lack of it in our society.
:>
:> right. and the reponsible party is the one that caused the gun to fire (or drove the SUV into the
:> kid). so name that party and not the tool used.
:
: An armed gun can fire if you shake it or drop it. Unintentionally, that is.

now THAT is semantic. ok, you're shaking your gun, it goes off and a kid is shot as a result. that
is somehow not your fault? are you not the one responsible for the gun?

you should only be pointing guns at places you want bullets to go or else leaving the gun in a state
that is safe (unloaded). maybe you need some gun safety classes.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Originally posted by David Reuteler
: David Reuteler wrote:
[...]

I work in the legal liability industry.
Let me put in simply. We need more assumed personal accountability in this country. It is so easy to blame someone else.In this paticualy case the child loaded the gun and was screwing around recklessly.Many lives are now forever changed.So who is to blame?Maybe all of us in some small way. :confused:

On 5 Nov 2003 13:28:30 +1050, jhuskey <[email protected]> wrote:

>I work in the legal liability industry. Let me put in simply. We need more assumed personal
>accountability in this country.

That would entail dismantling thr "legal liability industry". Which means you'd have to change your
major. Which explains:

> :confused:

> It is so easy to blame someone else.In this paticualy case the child loaded the gun and was
> screwing around recklessly.

Someone left a gun and ammunition within reach of a "child" with just enough brain power to put the
ammo in the gun and point it.

>Many lives are now forever changed.So who is to blame?Maybe all of us in some small way.

Please explain how you came to the conclusion that this is somehow my fault. You feel a great debt
to your fellow man, and you just want to find some way to pay the debt with other peoples' money.

Originally posted by Zippy The Pinhe
On 5 Nov 2003 13:28:30 +1050, jhuskey <[email protected]> wrote:

>I work in the legal liability industry. Let me put in simply. We need more assumed personal
>accountability in this country.

That would entail dismantling thr "legal liability industry". Which means you'd have to change your
major. Which explains:

> :confused:

> It is so easy to blame someone else.In this paticualy case the child loaded the gun and was
> screwing around recklessly.

Someone left a gun and ammunition within reach of a "child" with just enough brain power to put the
ammo in the gun and point it.

>Many lives are now forever changed.So who is to blame?Maybe all of us in some small way.

Please explain how you came to the conclusion that this is somehow my fault. You feel a great debt
to your fellow man, and you just want to find some way to pay the debt with other peoples' money.

I knew someone would bite and say "its not my fault" I hear this day after day. I didnt say it was your fault but we live in a society that believes that money form insurance companies falls out of the sky. I know who pays ,we do.We allow law makers to make it easy for crimminal to go free and frivolous law suit to go forth and juries to award incredible judgements. If you live in the US then yep, you need to shoulder part of the blame. Thats the problem it is always someone elses fault. Trust me I am the guy trying not to pay the debt of others. If you only knew. The point again ,parent take responsibility,kids share responsibility and quit making excuses for little Billy because his third cousin looked crossed eye at him in the third grade and gave him a complex. Well I have revived this horse too many times and beat him to death again.

On 6 Nov 2003 09:42:25 +1050, jhuskey <[email protected]> wrote:

> .So who is to blame?Maybe all of us in some small way.

If you meant that we are "all" to blame for setting up a system in which everything that happens
must lead to a court case and an insurance claim, you can count me out of that, too.

But your original post seemed to intimate that we were all to blame "in some small way" for some
little shithead taking an unsecured gun, loading it with unsecured ammunition, and blowing up
another kid.

Not guilty on that count, either.

>The point again ,parent take responsibility,kids share responsibility and quit making excuses for
>little Billy

On this point we are in complete agreement.