dogs messing on the trails

cyclerfarah

Guest
this is most annoying, not including most are off leashes.
Any advice how to respond when biking on a trail and
coming up on this situation?

cyclerfarah wrote:
> this is most annoying, not including most are off leashes.
> Any advice how to respond when biking on a trail and
> coming up on this situation?

swerve.

On 1/16/06 7:32 PM, in article
[email protected], "cyclerfarah"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> this is most annoying, not including most are off leashes.
> Any advice how to respond when biking on a trail and
> coming up on this situation?

Yes...

Dogs have been shitting in the woods like ALL of Gods other animals for
YEARS! and nobody ever complained before (not like they could do anything
about it..)

Aren't you tree-huggers supposed to think higher of animals than us
homer-sapiens anyway??

IF you were a good little human you would get the hell out of animal
territory and stay where you belong!! In the street dodging cars..

Rex the Dog

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BFF1AC2F.1895DA%[email protected]...
> On 1/16/06 7:32 PM, in article
> [email protected], "cyclerfarah"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > this is most annoying, not including most are off leashes.
> > Any advice how to respond when biking on a trail and
> > coming up on this situation?
> >

> Yes...
>
> Dogs have been shitting in the woods like ALL of Gods other animals for
> YEARS! and nobody ever complained before (not like they could do anything
> about it..)
>
> Aren't you tree-huggers supposed to think higher of animals than us
> homer-sapiens anyway??
>
> IF you were a good little human you would get the hell out of animal
> territory and stay where you belong!! In the street dodging cars..
>

> Rex the Dog

What kind of dog owners would give their ***** a name like Rex?

In article <[email protected]>,
"cyclerfarah" <[email protected]> writes:
> this is most annoying, not including most are off leashes.
> Any advice how to respond when biking on a trail and
> coming up on this situation?

I don't think I've ever had that problem -- the dogs
where I am seem to naturally prefer to go off the trail,
in the grassy areas alongside. And then they'll often
sniff along for quite a way into the rough before they
find the right spot. Horses are a different matter.

If I ever do chance upon a rottweiler or bull mastiff
or somesuch taking a dump in the middle of the trail,
I guess I'd be thankful he's preoccupied.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "cyclerfarah" <[email protected]> writes:
> > this is most annoying, not including most are off leashes.
> > Any advice how to respond when biking on a trail and
> > coming up on this situation?

> I don't think I've ever had that problem -- the dogs
> where I am seem to naturally prefer to go off the trail,
> in the grassy areas alongside. And then they'll often
> sniff along for quite a way into the rough before they
> find the right spot. Horses are a different matter.
>
> If I ever do chance upon a rottweiler or bull mastiff
> or somesuch taking a dump in the middle of the trail,
> I guess I'd be thankful he's preoccupied.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

you'll see that sort of behavior more when there's snow... it sits there,
frozen until the spring..

The dog doo density on a couple stretches of the fox river trail was almost
comical after the last that. let's just say it paid to pay attention,
_and_ to be the bike in front of the bike behind. :)

..max
now geese...

In rec.bicycles.misc max <[email protected]> wrote:

> The dog doo density on a couple stretches of the fox river trail was almost
> comical after the last that. let's just say it paid to pay attention,
> _and_ to be the bike in front of the bike behind. :)

With dogs, as with humans, the problem is not the presence of, um,
fecal matter, but its density. If there's a lot of the stuff, it becomes
a health hazard. You might try writing to whatever government entity is
in charge of the area. The problem is exacerbated if the river you're
near is a water source. (BTW, is the Fox River you're talking about
perchance the one in Illinois?)

Bill

__o | Some Usenet posts tell you more about the poster
_`\(,_ | than they do about the subject.
(_)/ (_) |

far better than horses. "swerve" is the best advice I cab give

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

[email protected] wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc max <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>The dog doo density on a couple stretches of the fox river trail was almost
>>comical after the last that. let's just say it paid to pay attention,
>>_and_ to be the bike in front of the bike behind. :)

> With dogs, as with humans, the problem is not the presence of, um,
> fecal matter, but its density. If there's a lot of the stuff, it becomes
> a health hazard. You might try writing to whatever government entity is
> in charge of the area. The problem is exacerbated if the river you're
> near is a water source. (BTW, is the Fox River you're talking about
> perchance the one in Illinois?)

Yes. As I recall, carnivores such as dogs have inefficient
digestive systems, and there are plenty of nutrients in
effluvia for rats and other vermin. If you have a lot of
dog feces, you probably have a lot of rats, too. So if the
trail is in an incorporated city, you could bring the
problem to the attention of the health department.

Apologies to those eating :)

Scott

[email protected] wrote:

> (BTW, is the Fox River you're talking about
> perchance the one in Illinois?)

ja. "my" stretch runs from St. Chaz to the IPP Batavia Spur.

..max

Borrow the Ultimate Bicycle towed plow (dug into snow/ice too much) and
it should push the dropping off the side (he works at Batavia). Bring
along a pump pressurized pesticide sprayer loaded with plain water to
clean the plow before loading.

http://www-bdnew.fnal.gov/pbar/organizationalchart/peterson/snowplow_files/Bike_Plow.html