Dogs on the Bike Path

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    So yesterday, it being warm and all here in WI, I got the son's bike out of the basement and we took
    off down the bike path. This is a somewhat alarming experience for me, as he isn't quite steady in
    the seat. Still, he only ran off the path a couple times, and although some of his passes by
    pedestrians were closer than I would've done...Not too bad for an 8-year old.

    We approached one cluster of women standing on the bike path talking. They were surrounded by dogs,
    some on leash, some not. One particularly old canine -- really a cute dog! -- stood blocking half
    the bike path, while its owner called in vain for it to move. The other women were laughing, yucking
    it up at how the dog would not move. As we passed I conversationally mentioned, with as much
    neighborly asperity as I could manage, "That's 'cause he's not wearing a leash". We were beyond the
    gaggle by then. Hopefully they moved the dog off the path.

    It was a beautiful day for a bike ride. We rode all the way down to the Pacific Cycle Headquarters,
    then turned around. The dog was gone on the way back

    Scott, really at notscape det not

    Tags:

  2. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > So yesterday, it being warm and all here in WI, I got the son's bike out of the basement and we
    > took off down the bike path. This is a somewhat alarming experience for me, as he isn't quite
    > steady in the seat. Still, he only ran off the path a couple times, and although some of his
    > passes by pedestrians were closer than I would've done...Not too bad for an 8-year old.
    >
    > We approached one cluster of women standing on the bike path talking. They were surrounded by
    > dogs, some on leash, some not. One particularly old canine -- really a cute dog! -- stood blocking
    > half the bike path, while its owner called in vain for it to move. The other women were laughing,
    > yucking it up at how the dog would not move. As we passed I conversationally mentioned, with as
    > much neighborly asperity as I could manage, "That's 'cause he's not wearing a leash". We were
    > beyond the gaggle by then. Hopefully they moved the dog off the path.
    >
    > It was a beautiful day for a bike ride. We rode all the way down to the Pacific Cycle
    > Headquarters, then turned around. The dog was gone on the way back
    >
    > Scott, really at notscape det not

    The bike paths were crazy on Sat. We started at Pacific HQ and by the time we got to Odana we opted
    to take the roads cause they were less stressful. It was fun cheering for the racer boys though, you
    know, the guys who get really irritated when they have to drop below 20 mph.

  3. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:24:19 -0600, Scott <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > One particularly old canine -- really a cute dog! -- stood blocking half the bike path, while its
    > owner called in vain for it to move. The other women were laughing, yucking it up at how the dog
    > would not move.

    I'm mellowing out a lot wrt to this phenom. Yesterday I actually talked to several nice ladies
    walking dogs.

    One guy was on the otherside of the trail, and his med. sized dog was broadside.

    I yelled (nicely) "Sir could you 'heel' your dog?" He started towards the center of the trail rather
    menacingly with mirrored shades on and said 'Why'?

    I said 'b/c he'll jump out in front of me...'

    He calmed and said 'no he won't'

    I said 'ok', and continued on. I resolved to test that assumption on the way back, (but not hit
    the dog) by just doing my 'clicking' the breaks. But on the pass, he was close enough that he
    reached down and clipped the leash on his pet. If the pet can't 'heel' and come, then why are they
    not on a leash??

    The thing is, he wasn't visibly packing, and was ordinary size. I couldn't believe my eyes that he'd
    'menace' a biker, chest out, fists clenched striding like a challenge. Boy he'd have been surprised
    when he discovered he'd connected up with a lifter and bjj guy, heh. Plus I know I outweighed him by
    like 60lbs. sheesh. I checked him for printing, and he wasn't showing, tank top and running shorts.
    (yeah i know you can clip in a lightweight, etc.) ;-)

    Later a nice lady was walking two dogs, and one stayed behind next to a copse of trees - she
    couldn't see him. Well he was off the trail to the left, and not moving, so I continued.

    At the exact moment I came up on him, he runs right out in front of me tail between his legs. I
    -almost- hit him.

    Later I caught up with her after my U-turn, coming back, and stopped and gently suggested her dog
    had misbehaved a little. She said 'oh he's afraid of bikes'. I said, 'fine, but he shows this by
    jumping out in front of me and running (too slowly); I just don't want to hit him'. She says OK. So
    the dog is staning like 20 feet up the road looking the same way and she continues on the opposite
    way, behind me. I had to call out and insist 'Ma'am, please call your dog (I had stopped to chat).
    She called and the dog didn't come, sitting there. I go 'MA'AM', call your dog, I don't want to have
    him jump in front of me again.

    Well she seems unable to comprehend this, and I'm between her and the dog.

    So I said "OK" and started riding slowly towards my house (and the dog).

    Hahah. He skittered in front of me the whole way (about 3 miles) with her running behind, and fading
    into the distance calling him. She realized 'hey, I should have paid attention! (doh). About 10 min
    later I turn off into my back yard and the dog is still running away down the far trail, as another
    bike had taken over.

    -B

  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Badger_South wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:24:19 -0600, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>One particularly old canine -- really a cute dog! -- stood blocking half the bike path, while its
    >>owner called in vain for it to move. The other women were laughing, yucking it up at how the dog
    >>would not move.
    >

    > I'm mellowing out a lot wrt to this phenom. Yesterday I actually talked to several nice ladies
    > walking dogs.

    I'm actually pretty mellow about it (although I do look for opportunities to make a snarky comment
    when I'm in the mood). I was more concerned for the neophyte biker son, although he did a great job
    of slowing down and riding in a reasonably straight line before walking his bike around the dog.

    Half the dogs on the bike path I recognize anyway, from back when we had a dog and I was walking her
    in the woods between the bike path and the cemetery and Golf Course.

    Scott, really at notscape det not

  5. Max

    Max Guest

    > Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Scott <[email protected]>wrote:
    >
    > > One particularly old canine -- really a cute dog! -- stood blocking half the bike path, while
    > > its owner called in vain for it to move. The other women were laughing, yucking it up at how the
    > > dog would not move.
    >
    > I'm mellowing out a lot wrt to this phenom. Yesterday I actually talked to several nice ladies
    > walking dogs.
    >
    > One guy was on the otherside of the trail, and his med. sized dog was broadside.
    >
    > I yelled (nicely) "Sir could you 'heel' your dog?" He started towards the center of the trail
    > rather menacingly with mirrored shades on and said 'Why'?

    [fox river trail between St. Charles and Batavia]

    I don't even bother anymore, partly because I can't seem to make the request sound anything other
    than a disguised "hey dumbass, control your effing mutt" ;-) and partly because i've found a lower
    risk solution to letting Sparky get jammed in my chainstays.

    I always slow down when approaching peds.

    I basically pick a point outside the dog's leash-arc. If that arc extends past the edge of the
    trail, i slow down to walking speed and come off the saddle w/ one foot off the other side pedal,
    keeping an eye on the dog and just chat up the owners. Sometimes I'll stop, and sometimes i'll pull
    off a glove and let the dog smell my sweaty fingers and pet it.

    Being a little sweaty, flushed and breathing hard makes the unpoken point that i _was_ on my way
    somewhere with a purpose (I usu. have my gate card visible), but i'm so nice that i'll stop to smell
    the dog butts (figuratively, mostly), which leaves the owners feeling good about meeting me, as
    opposed to embarASSed or resentful.

    In general i've found owners respond v. well to this approach, and on subsequent meets they'll pull
    Sparky out of the nice man's [that's me] way.

    And, in terms of my commute, i find it doesn't really add that much time, and besides, it gives me
    an opportunity to flex my enormous ripply quads, tight buns and giant calves for the hotties when i
    leave. :)

    .max

    --
    the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

  6. Jeffbonny

    Jeffbonny Guest

    You people got seized headsets? Paying attention and avoiding is one of the essential skills for
    every cyclist. If ya wanna let it rip get off the path and onto the road.

    jb

  7. Csb

    Csb Guest

    wrote:

    >So yesterday, it being warm and all here in WI, I got the son's bike out of the basement and we
    >took off down the bike path.

    <snip>

    There is no such thing as a 'bike path'.

  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    CSB wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:24:19 -0600, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>So yesterday, it being warm and all here in WI, I got the son's bike out of the basement and we
    >>took off down the bike path.
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    > There is no such thing as a 'bike path'.

    Maybe -- but's it's much easier to type 'bike path' than 'multiuse paved transportation corridor'. I
    trust you took my meaning and were only being pedantic.

    Scott, really at notscape det not

  9. jawnn

    jawnn New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    get an air horn for boats......people will pay attention.

  10. Chris B .

    Chris B . Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:22:53 -0600, Scott <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >CSB wrote:
    >> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:24:19 -0600, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>So yesterday, it being warm and all here in WI, I got the son's bike out of the basement and we
    >>>took off down the bike path.
    >>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> There is no such thing as a 'bike path'.
    >
    >Maybe -- but's it's much easier to type 'bike path' than 'multiuse paved transportation corridor'.
    >I trust you took my meaning and were only being pedantic.

    I can only wish that it is a trivial difference.

  11. David

    David Guest

    "CSB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:24:19 -0600, Scott <[email protected]>
    >
    > There is no such thing as a 'bike path'.

    What exactly are you claiming doesn't exist? Paved, bike-only paths? I've seen those in a couple of
    different places, just not in the USA.

  12. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    CSB wrote:
    >> There is no such thing as a 'bike path'.
    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:22:53 -0600, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Maybe -- but's it's much easier to type 'bike path' than 'multiuse paved transportation corridor'.
    >I trust you took my meaning and were only being pedantic.

    MUP is pretty well understood here to mean "Multi Use Path", referring to a paved path often
    mislabeled "bike path" which may or may not be suitable for bikes.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  13. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:26:30 GMT,
    <[email protected]>,
    jeffbonny <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You people got seized headsets? Paying attention and avoiding is one of the essential skills for
    >every cyclist. If ya wanna let it rip get off the path and onto the road.
    >
    >jb

    Ask Ms. Breakswind, she'll tell you that bikes don't belong on HER road when they have dog walking
    paths on which to play with the skaters and jogging strollers.
    --
    zk

  14. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:22:53 -0600,
    <[email protected]>, Scott
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Maybe -- but's it's much easier to type 'bike path' than 'multiuse paved transportation corridor'.
    >I trust you took my meaning and were only being pedantic.

    Multi-Use Path through a recreational corridor. aka FMUP
    --
    zk

  15. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <<snip..>>

    > It was a beautiful day for a bike ride. We rode all the way down to the Pacific Cycle
    > Headquarters, then turned around. The dog was gone on the way back
    >
    > Scott, really at notscape det not

    I'm a big dog lover but owners like that really are rather irresponsible. And unfortunately, it'll
    be the dog that gets hit. I hope that if you ever have to pull an avoid move to miss a dog that you
    somehow run over the owner!! Honestly, "bike paths" are an oxymoron, at least they are here. As I've
    said before here, we had a bike path that was really a pedestrian path, despite signs asking people
    to walk on the grass. Eventually, after people were hurt, they decided to twin the path, one for
    walking, one for riding, rollerblading etc. All it really did was split the number of pedestrians
    among 2 paths. Which is an improvement I guess, but not the hoped for result. So don't ever believe
    there will be a "bikes only" path, it won't happen. And it drives me nuts because people still
    insist on walking their baby carriages down the paved path 2 abreast. One day there is going to be a
    horribly unfortunate accident and the blame will be levelled quite obviously at the cyclist. A
    bewildered parent crying about their injured infant when really the blame is at least equally
    shared, wouldn't you say? In any event, I pick and choose my times on the path, resigned to fact
    that I can't fight the sum total of ignorance that exists in the general population. I lose, which
    sucks I guess, and I give up, which makes me a quitter I suppose. C'est la vie.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  16. From: [email protected] (kantspel)

    >The bike paths were crazy on Sat. We started at Pacific HQ and by the time we got to Odana we opted
    >to take the roads cause they were less stressful. It was fun cheering for the racer boys though,
    >you know, the guys who get really irritated when they have to drop below 20 mph.

    Tell me about it! The Venice beach "bike" path (and I use the term looser than a Las Vegas whore)
    was down right dangerous any day of the week after 6 am. Dogs, bladers, joggers, you name it. All of
    them practicing oblivion

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  17. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > > There is no such thing as a 'bike path'.
    >
    > What exactly are you claiming doesn't exist? Paved, bike-only paths?
    I've
    > seen those in a couple of different places, just not in the USA.

    No, what I get out of it is that he's saying those paths are supposed to be bike paths but the
    idiots disregard that entirely. Our town has a bike path complete with "bicycles only" signs AND a
    parallel path for joggers and dog walkers. But no--they all want to be on the bike path and then
    look at the cyclists as if we are the interlopers. Sad, but that's what goes on. Even when I swim
    laps, I've had some idiot tell me that the lap lanes are "really" multi-use lanes in the "multi-use"
    pool; i.e., it's not a "swimming pool" any more....

    Pat in TX

  18. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    jawnn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > get an air horn for boats......people will pay attention.

    --

    I have an air horn from an Amtrak Metroliner. Works great!
    Give em a blast, and you can ride right underneath them without changing your
    line.

    Now what to do with te 80lbs of compressor and battery......)

    HAND

    --
    "Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

  19. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, mikie357 @forgedabit.net says...

    > I have an air horn from an Amtrak Metroliner. Works great! Give em a blast, and you can ride right
    > underneath them without changing your line.
    >
    > Now what to do with te 80lbs of compressor and battery......)

    Bob trailer.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the newsgroups if possible).

  20. On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:23:47 -0500, David Kerber
    <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, mikie357 @forgedabit.net says...

    >> I have an air horn from an Amtrak Metroliner. Works great! Give em a blast, and you can ride
    >> right underneath them without changing your line.
    >>
    >> Now what to do with te 80lbs of compressor and battery......)
    >
    >Bob trailer.

    you forgot the shimidt dynohubs to power the compressor.