dogs that chase us

I can agree with about half of that. Without belittling your response or even being disrespectful my question to you would be "where the hell do you live?" I've been fairly lucky but on the rare occasion I have been chased the dog was not at all comforted by the human voice, in fact, the dog was not even looking at the bike as some kind of chase toy. No, the dogs were always looking me in my eyes as they ran full speed with only one thing on their mind, eating me. So be careful about becoming complacent with dogs because one day it won't be so fun. Good luck, be safe.

two wheels said:
My wife and I live in the country. Beautiful riding roads but encounter problems with dogs(mainly pitt bulls) coming out of nowhere when we pass by the occasional house and chasing us to within an inch of our lives! :eek::eek: In the country, these dogs just roam loose! Looking for any advise as to what to do to help with this problem. I was thinking maybe carrying pepper spray.
You could even use a starter pistol or something with blanks. I had a Doberman run up on me one time. I took off real fast to get away and destroyed the gear derailer. On the account of a dog. I could have made the bastards pay for that.

bicycledick said:
You could even use a starter pistol or something with blanks. I had a Doberman run up on me one time. I took off real fast to get away and destroyed the gear derailer. On the account of a dog. I could have made the bastards pay for that.
I don't know. You could get shot for shooting something which looks and sounds real.

garage sale GT said:
I don't know. You could get shot for shooting something which looks and sounds real.

I was thinking the same thing as I know this has happened.Many years back a college student jumped on the hood of a car and pointed a similar gun at the driver. He was shot and killed by the driver who had a real gun. The driver was not charged.
There are many similar instances.

jhuskey said:
I was thinking the same thing as I know this has happened.Many years back a college student jumped on the hood of a car and pointed a similar gun at the driver. He was shot and killed by the driver who had a real gun. The driver was not charged.
There are many similar instances.
It wouldn't even have to be a gun. Just something to make a noise. But the fact is if you ride you will have dogs running after you. I used to try to outrun them, but then you can have an accident. Some kind spray repellent for animals I would carry in advance. Because over the years I have crashed a couple times and even once tore up my bike. You have idiot homeowners who think it's cute if their dog runs after people. They should pay for this. They'll raise hell if you spray their dog. But the road is public property.

So lets all agree not to pull a knife or starter pistol on that German Shepard because he may be packin and pump a few rounds into your Assos.

Some guy I know who used to read meters said he was issued an automatic umbrella. The sudden opening is supposed to scare dogs away.

Gladly would like to share my experience.When I saw dogs which are far in front,I would get ready for an extreme pick-up.

1)Shift down when you see him staring at you from far.
2)Try to drag the timing by going to the opposite side of the road(I mean the road is wide and of course IF there is least traffic).
3)When you see him dash,TIME TO SPRINT FOR YOUR LIFE!!
4)They will only chase you for less than 6 sec or so.:cool:

Emp said:
Gladly would like to share my
4)They will only chase you for less than 6 sec or so.:cool:

That "or so" part doen't add much comfort when you start running out of breath after 5 seconds.

I think you should go with the dog whisperers advice... be the bigger dog, establish dominance! To do this, try barking back in a deeper and louder bark than the pit bull chasing you. ;)

I use the varying speed tactic, allow it to think it is catching you then burn rubber, slow down again and repeat. The dog will give up fairly quickly and you remain in control of your bike safely.

I was hiking alone in early spring in a park that at one time had been farmland. I was following a trail up the crest of a hill when I heard the sound of something moving through the woods. I saw a good sized dog, about the size of a german shepard but all black running toward me. I had about enough time to grab the nearest "weapon", a stick about as long as my arm and an inch thick, before the dog got to the point to jump at me. I don't know if he just wanted to be freindly or if he had a more malevolent intent, but he lept at me and then stopped dead, dropped to the ground, and got back on his feet sort of dazed. At that point he was within five feet of me. He gave me a strange look, turned tail, and ran away as fast as he could. I walked over to where he had been standing, and there was a small section of an old farm fence that you couldn't see until you were practically on top of it. I sort of felt sorry for the dog, running full bore face first into a fence, but I thanked God for it being there. A little later I encountered the same dog on the trail again. Once again he started for me, but then he must have caught my scent because he again turned and ran away as fast as his legs could carry him.

kdelong said:
A little later I encountered the same dog on the trail again. Once again he started for me, but then he must have caught my scent because he again turned and ran away as fast as his legs could carry him.

Is it more telling about you or the dog that your scent could stop him dead in his tracks? Scientists theorize that one key to **** sapien's evolutionary success was his/her foul body odor (compared to the rest of the animal kingdom).

alienator said:
Is it more telling about you or the dog that your scent could stop him dead in his tracks? Scientists theorize that one key to **** sapien's evolutionary success was his/her foul body odor (compared to the rest of the animal kingdom).
After nearly five miles through the Bushy Creek Gorge on a day that started out cool and then warmed up quickly, I may have been a little late in shedding my sweatshirt and probably was not too difficult to detect by my odor. But I really hope that the dog regarded me as some sort of super being with some sort of painful force field around me.

Well as far as dogs chasing, I'll mostly get the dog in the front yard that will start running at me, but will stop and not leave the property.

But I got one for all of you......
How many times did some of you get chased by a horse ??? lol, well maybe not "chased", but I was on a small side road in Topsfield MA (a rich heavily wooded town where every other person owns a mil $ house and a horse, lol) and a lady on a horse was going the opposite way, and the horse just got really spooked and cut across the road almost hitting me as I tried to fly by as quiet as I could.

-Greg

Had a small pooch run at me today that actually came beyond its yard and tried to catch up to me, wasn't barking at all though so it could've been a friendly one. I didn't feel like slowing down or stopping to find out though.

gman0482 said:
How many times did some of you get chased by a horse ???

Can't say I have yet, but a few of my routes take me by horse farms. These are fenced in though to help keep the horses from escaping.

gman0482 said:
Well as far as dogs chasing, I'll mostly get the dog in the front yard that will start running at me, but will stop and not leave the property.

How many times did some of you get chased by a horse ??? lol, well maybe not "chased", but I was on a small side road in Topsfield MA (a rich heavily wooded town where every other person owns a mil $ house and a horse, lol) and a lady on a horse was going the opposite way, and the horse just got really spooked and cut across the road almost hitting me as I tried to fly by as quiet as I could.

-Greg

Interesting.

I've never had that happen, but I did once have a javelina peel out in front of me.

I get chased by dogs all the freaking time. Big dogs, little dogs, nice dogs and mean dogs. The little ones aren't bad; I usually just take out a water bottle and give them a quick squirt in the face. When I see the big dogs coming I throw down a sprint to get the heck out of there. I'm not about to find out what the intentions are. Although I had a strange happening last year around Christmas time. Riding on a back road through pine forests in SC, I had a group of dogs catch me by surprise. I thought I was screwed, but they just fell into formation behind me. 4 or 5 dogs, all running in my draft, just chilling. The one closes to me would just look up at me, and I offered my hand and he sniffed it. I just kept upping the tempo, and they just sped up with me until they got tired. Really strange.

gman0482 said:

-Greg

Not a horse, but deer. Every year, we have a race weekend in the TX hill country around Lake Travis at Lago Vista. Leading up to the race, everybody would say "watch out for the deer." I didn't think anything about it, but while riding to the start at 7:30 am, coming out of the condos, there were deer everywhere...at least a few dozen. It definitely caught me by surprise, and only then did I understand what the warnings were about. When you're racing down a hill going 40+ mph and there is a deer on the side of the road, all you can do is hope it doesn't decide to pick the wrong time to decide to get spooked and cross the road. Luckily, this year, nobody was hit.

The S is Silent said:
Not a horse, but deer. Every year, we have a race weekend in the TX hill country around Lake Travis at Lago Vista. Leading up to the race, everybody would say "watch out for the deer." I didn't think anything about it, but while riding to the start at 7:30 am, coming out of the condos, there were deer everywhere...at least a few dozen. It definitely caught me by surprise, and only then did I understand what the warnings were about. When you're racing down a hill going 40+ mph and there is a deer on the side of the road, all you can do is hope it doesn't decide to pick the wrong time to decide to get spooked and cross the road. Luckily, this year, nobody was hit.

Hmmm. Gingerman Raceway and Nelson Ledges Road Course have the same problem, except the problem gets a whole lot worse when you're racing motorcycles. It's been said that racers have ridden through deer, with only bodywork damage, flying innards, and a big red mist the result.