dogs that chase us

cyberlegend1994 said:
Easier said than done on an unpaved road, especially after it rains and the road develops tons of wavy ruts.... :eek:

I would try it ;)

There are two instances that I remember

1) I was riding on the local highway in Nebraska with a couple of friends, a puppy ran out from a farm and chased us, it trotted along side of my friend and then would dash between her front and rear wheel below the bottom bracket to the otherside and trot along and do this again. I stopped and petted the dog so my friend could get away, then a car drove up opened the door and someone yelled "get in here", the puppy hopped in and back they went.

2) when riding from Omaha to Lincoln, I was with a few friends and I was in the lead. 5 dogs came chasing me from a farm house. they didn't notice my friends but one of my friends wheel hit one of the dogs. When we were coming back from Lincoln the next day 4 dogs chased us and the dog that got hit sat on side of the road watching us ride by.

had the same dog chase me every day he used to have a stick in his mouth and he would try to stick it through my spokes, then i discovered my jersey was same colours as the pedigree chum dog food tin, now wear different jersey so far so good only the neigbours cat is getting excited now....

Guys, I might be on the contrary state of mind here.

After watching the American Flyers I am really into forcing dogs to chase me, so I can ride faster. Unfortunately dogs in Bulgaria are too lazy.

However if you ride with race shoes you have a very powerful weapon against them, (I lock to the pedal with a metal Shimano piece, so trust me, dogs do fly away from me!)

dogs do make great sprint partners.i think they suck in general.the country dogs out here need a little amonia in the face, just a little squirt will do. after that they tend to not be so interested.dogs are a sickness one must get over.

Using dogs for sprint training is a cleaver and creative way to help improve your speed and reaction time, however, many cyclists, including myself, dedicate a particular day of the week for the sole purpose of sprint training. The remaining days involve intervals, endurance training and the race at the end of the week so I am not necessarily wanting to do sprints that day. Also many people (not enough) commute by bicycle and are not necessarily trained athletes. The logical solution seems be simply change your route, unfortunately some people who commute are not afforded the luxury of being able to change their route therefore the get sprint training 5 to 6 days a week.

Using dogs for sprint training is a cleaver and creative way to help improve your speed and reaction time, however, many cyclists, including myself, dedicate a particular day of the week for the sole purpose of sprint training. The remaining days involve intervals, endurance training and the race at the end of the week so I am not necessarily wanting to do sprints that day. Also many people (not enough) commute by bicycle and are not necessarily trained athletes. The logical solution seems be simply change your route, unfortunately some people who commute are not afforded the luxury of being able to change their route therefore the get sprint training 5 to 6 days a week.

The girl who works at the counter at the local Latex Implement and Stimulator store will not leave me alone. I have to spring through the store aisles to keep away from her, and then she chases all over the strip mall.

Now alienator whatever you're doing in a latex and stimulator store is entirely your business, however, having a girl chase you around the mall, in my opinion, does not call for sprint training, in fact it seems to me it is an ideal time to take a break.

crbnfbr said:
Now alienator whatever you're doing in a latex and stimulator store is entirely your business, however, having a girl chase you around the mall, in my opinion, does not call for sprint training, in fact it seems to me it is an ideal time to take a break.

Yeah, but what if the girls look like Bevo:

800px-Bevo.jpeg

thats not a nice way to talk about us ,after all were the best friend youll ever have,you dont know what its like sitting around bored for hrs ,no stupid cats anymore to go for...what the hell are we suposed to do when we see you coming up the road like that ,we only want to make friends and get a rub ...we really like you .oops my master is coming woof .......

You said "But what if the GIRLS look like Bevo?" In your sentence girls is plural so if you are shopping at a mall where not only one but two, maybe even more girls look like Bevo then I would seriously consider finding another mall.

My wife and I live in the country. Beautiful riding roads but encounter problems with dogs(mainly pitt bulls) coming out of nowhere when we pass by the occasional house and chasing us to within an inch of our lives! :eek::eek: In the country, these dogs just roam loose! Looking for any advise as to what to do to help with this problem. I was thinking maybe carrying pepper spray.

The problem with pepper spray is that it is hard to not get some residue on your hands and most people will rub their eyes at some point.

HALT works, but please always call the authorities, both for your sake and the sake of other cyclists. People do get mauled to death by dogs, you know.

Even without the mauling, dogs running after you offer all sorts of crash opportunities. Call the pollice. The dog owners have a responsibility to control their dog.

I've been "chased" by lots of dogs, but I've never felt threatened by any of them. Most dogs don't recognize a bicycle as being half-person - they see it as some other form of animal. When they hear a human voice, they usually back off or at least stop being so threatening. You can whistle and call them, tell them to go home, or just talk in a freindly manner - once they recognize a human, they are less agitated. Most just want to race you or get a little exercise, anyway.