dogs that chase us

alienator said:
Hmmm. Gingerman Raceway and Nelson Ledges Road Course have the same problem, except the problem gets a whole lot worse when you're racing motorcycles. It's been said that racers have ridden through deer, with only bodywork damage, flying innards, and a big red mist the result.

As grotesque as that is...it makes me chuckle. And then throw up a little bit in my mouth.

I remember seeing this thread when I was considering doing Rouge Roubaix this past spring. It also has horses and deer: Forum - Rouge Roubaix Forum

alienator said:
The girl who works at the counter at the local Latex Implement and Stimulator store will not leave me alone. I have to spring through the store aisles to keep away from her, and then she chases all over the strip mall.

I have that happen all the time.

alienator said:
Yeah, but what if the girls look like Bevo:

800px-Bevo.jpeg

OMG she has a huge rack.

shane_riddell said:
I have that happen all the time.

She wouldn't have to spring for me at all. I'd pay for the hotel room, but she'd have to spring for the leather restraints.

gman0482 said:
Well as far as dogs chasing, I'll mostly get the dog in the front yard that will start running at me, but will stop and not leave the property.

But I got one for all of you......
How many times did some of you get chased by a horse ??? lol, well maybe not "chased", but I was on a small side road in Topsfield MA (a rich heavily wooded town where every other person owns a mil $ house and a horse, lol) and a lady on a horse was going the opposite way, and the horse just got really spooked and cut across the road almost hitting me as I tried to fly by as quiet as I could.

-Greg
Never got chased by a horse or deer. I have had to swerve to avoid getting run into by deer more than a couple of times, but I like to ride early in the morning when they are on the move. I was chased by a blue jay (thank goodness for the helmet).

Concerning dogs again, I had a unique experience with a dog while driving my car. I was cruising down the road when a cat zipped across the road in front of me. A split second later there was a loud bang against the side of my car. I looked out the window in time to see a Doberman cartwheeling beside the car. I stopped and the dog jumped up and ran down a drive and behind a house. Another car stopped and its occupants and I ran after the dog. After all, who wants a wounded Doberman wandering around a residential area? We found the dog behind the house with the owner. The dog had a small cut on his head and probably a heap of bruises but that was all. We went back to our respective cars and that is when I discovered a pretty good dent behind the front wheel. I did not press the matter since the car was already in pretty sad shape to begin with. But when you talk about a dog and a car, how often do you hear about a car that got run over by a dog?

Do know what's worse than dodging angry dogs and misguided deer? I'll tell you: dodging the cattle the graze on college campuses. Seriously, cows have greater awareness of their surroundings and are more quick to react than college students, undergrads specifically, walking across campus trying to swoop sorority sows or having their faces impaled on their cell phones.

jarodwinn said:
That "or so" part doen't add much comfort when you start running out of breath after 5 seconds.

I think you should go with the dog whisperers advice... be the bigger dog, establish dominance! To do this, try barking back in a deeper and louder bark than the pit bull chasing you. ;)

I've actually done this many times and it works.:D I've also tried it with cars but it does'nt seem to work as well:(

I would definitely go with the pepper spray. I've been sprayed with it before and it sure as hell HURTS!! I remember seeing some once before that was a foam type with blue dye. Now wouldn't that be grand if the dog came limping home to its owner with it's face dyed blue?

Sometimes they're just evil. Especially the ones that have red eyes and chase you across the intersection of a busy highway with their pitbull buddy. Yeah that was fun, like my second week of starting to ride in earnest. Was almost enough to make me rethink the bicycle thing. Then I got used to it lol, the sprints are a good workout too.:D

I've been chased at least a dozen times. I always stop because if you can try to imagine what the dog is thinking, they don't really want to eat us or our bikes. They want to protect their territory and they seem to know that includes their house and yard but it stops at the road. They also like fetch and chasing things that appear catchable is fun for them. But when I stop, the game is over. In every instance, they stop too, turn around, and make their way back to their porch and I slowly get going again. When you meet them towards the end of a climb like I tend to do, the sprint option really makes no sense. Carrying dog weapons is bulky and I've had them nearly catch me before they began barking to let me know they're coming so I would have not had time to dig out mace or water guns etc.

I'm sure that works in most cases, but these two dogs really did want to eat me. I can tell the difference between "Oh hey lets chase that thing!" and "I'm gonna tear your leg off!". I actually did stop for them, the shoulder was gone. I had to walk on the other side of my bike, they seemed calm, until I glanced down at them. Then they went crazy and tried attacking my bike. Other than that incident, you're right, almost every dog just wants to play chase, or is just curious what you are. I would suggest just keep riding, nothing bad has come of that for me.

I agree that some dogs chase and some actually want to catch you. I get chased on pretty much every ride unless I am riding in the National Park.I know these dogs and what they are going to do, for the most part
The greatest danger is not getting bit but hitting the animal and crashing. Sometimes in multiple dog chases it is better to dismount rather than try and avoid all of them.