Dogs

>As I propped myself tripod style with my head on my saddle, a small dog wandered up and urinated
>over my front forks.

Oh dear - another keyboard to be replaced due to coffee spit ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Richard Bates wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:09:46 +0000 (UTC), "John Gibson" <[email protected]> in
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [story about being chased by a dog snipped]
>
> I've never been chased by a dog. But several years ago, I was cycling up the monster hill to Rowen
> Youth Hostel. I couldn't cycle any further so I dismounted to walk up the hill (wimp). As I
> propped myself tripod style with my head on my saddle, a small dog wandered up and urinated over
> my front forks.

LOL

I was sitting stationary on the trice outside a pub a couple of months ago and a small dog mooched
up and started to **** its leg against the front nearside wheel. Before it could do any business I
swivelled the steering so the wheel smacked into the dog's rear end.

It was most satisfying - (for me not the dog I hasten to add).

John B

Simon Mason wrote:
> "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Mj%[email protected]...
>>
>> I've been chased by dogs but I've found that by letting them get close enough and braking sharply
>> enough, they usually run into the back wheel. Sometime this requires rapid accelleration before
>> they come to and start to savage parts of bike or body.
>>
>> Gadget
>
> Before Saturday, I'd only been attacked by one dog, a small Scotty who ran out of a farm house as
> I passed by at speed. It was amusing to see its little legs going like the clappers as I easily
> held it off at about 12 mph.

Our cairn terrier used to chase helicopters. I don't know what he would have done if he
caught one.:)
--
Mark

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:09:46 +0000 (UTC), "John Gibson" <[email protected]> in
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [story about being chased by a dog snipped]
>
> I've never been chased by a dog. But several years ago, I was cycling up the monster hill to Rowen
> Youth Hostel. I couldn't cycle any further so I dismounted to walk up the hill (wimp). As I
> propped myself tripod style with my head on my saddle, a small dog wandered up and urinated over
> my front forks.

I saw a small dog urinate over the bare legs of a be-shorted man sitting quietly by himself on a
seat outside a pub enjoying a pint once, outside the station in Parramatta. He wasn't quiet for long
after that!

Trev

Dransfield <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone else had enough of being in the park with your toddlers, and dog owners allowing their
> hound to run up to your toddler: "Its alright, he loves kids"

Yeah, me. It happened once when my eldest was knee high to a umm dog, and I took a kick at it the
second time, sadly missing it. The stunned owner came running up crying "Don't kick my dog, they're
just like people, you know!" He looked a bit confused when I pointed out that I didn't see any
people crapping all over the park, so how was that then?

Dope.

Trev

"John Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... (CUT)
> It never ceases to amaze me peoples double standards, and you might think I give cyclists a bad
> name but we will never be as anti social as people who let their flea bitten mutts **** all over
> the path.
>
> So dog owners get the massage. Eat my brake dust shitter.

About a year ago, I cycled to my local woods to pick mushrooms. There I am, bike leaned against a
tree not far away, and a big black dog comes sprinting through the undergrowth towards me barking
and snarling. I held my basket in front of me, and tried to talk calmingly to the mutt, while
circling to get behind my bicycle for protection. It continued to snarl while I was doing so, till
its owner shouted for it. She said, unapologetically, that it was obviously scared of my basket!

Small, square, whickerwork, largely full of mushrooms and unthreatening as it was, the best excuse
this woman had for her dogs behaviour was that I had a basket. I let her have a full earful of why
she ought to have her dog on the lead, and she was still entirely unapologetic.

A large dog is a dangerous thing if not kept under control. If it isn't taught how to behave then it
might well turn out quite monstrous. Allowing people to own them with no need to demonstrate safe
handling is like allowing people to keep guns in their homes, it allows very irresponsible people to
be in possession of highly dangerous living weapons.

I'm a real dog lover, and I strongly feel that these idiots get dog owners a very bad name.

Trevor Barton wrote:
> Yeah, me. It happened once when my eldest was knee high to a umm dog, and I took a kick at it the
> second time, sadly missing it. The stunned owner came running up crying "Don't kick my dog,
> they're just like people, you know!" He looked a bit confused when I pointed out that I didn't see
> any people crapping all over the park, so how was that then?

<BG>

I've not yet had to protect my munchkin from a dog, but my FIL has told me many times that a dog
owner who will do nothing about a dog running towards a small child will soon call it back when
Daddy steps in front of said child wielding a big stick.

Thomas Paine

On Wed, 28 May 2003 21:14:00 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:09:46 +0000 (UTC), "John Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> I prefer cats, myself, but am not anti-hound. It's the owners I'd like to put on a slow barbeque.
>> Double standards, as you say.
>>
>The meat would be more tender - but *far* more likely to contain harmful pathogens than even
>dog-meat, which is particularly tough and greasy (this advice came from an old Chinese aunt).

Alex

Having not eaten DOG I cannot possibly comment. Having eaten CAT, well, ConfusedMan, he say ...

James

On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:09:46 +0000 (UTC), "John Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>So dog owners get the massage. Eat my brake dust shitter.

You forgot to say what designer label the dog was displaying.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Wed, 28 May 2003 12:02:25 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Go and read what dog-owner Richard Ballantine has to say on the subject of dogs chasing cyclists.

Advice carried in the heads of all my family. Uses for the old faithful HPX, no. 27.

My mate Chris likes to say "he's wagging his tail, but I reckon he's bluffing"

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Wed, 28 May 2003 18:05:42 +0200, "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote:

>taking pleasure from seeing an animal hurt or killed through no fault of its own is pathetic

Is it more or less pathetic than deliberately setting a dangerous animal on a passerby going about
their lawful business? Just curious.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)