Dogtags

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Following an exchange on rec.bicycles.misc I've just ordered a set of dogtags from
http://www.dogtagsonline.com/ - it seems like a sensible idea to have contact information about
one's person. Actually I mentioned the thought to my wife and was told it was a Good Idea :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:32:05 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What was the charge for postage to blighty?

$3 for P&P I think.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

What was the charge for postage to blighty?

--
Mark
______________________________________

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

news:[email protected]...

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 14:01:23 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Following an exchange on rec.bicycles.misc I've just ordered a set of dogtags from
> http://www.dogtagsonline.com/ - it seems like a sensible idea to have contact information about
> one's person.

Do you have a crafty method of making sure that you're wearing it every time you're on the bike? Or
are you going to wear it all the time? I like the Steve Cram method of putting a tag on the laces of
your cycling (or running) shoes, 'cos I _do_ remember to put my clippyless shoes on before riding,
but I'm not at all sure I'd manage to remember a necklace.

OTOH, there is an Organ Donor card in the seatpack that almost always gets transfered to the bike
I'm riding -- and the others all have "remove before flight" flags where the seat pack attaches.

Mike

> Following an exchange on rec.bicycles.misc I've just ordered a set of dogtags from
> http://www.dogtagsonline.com/ - it seems like a sensible idea to have contact information about
> one's person. Actually I mentioned the thought to my wife and was told it was a Good Idea :)
>
> Guy

Definitely a 'Good Idea' Guy. I've thought about this in the past and opted for an old business
card, adjusted to take account of latest contact details, secured somewhere safe yet easily and
obviously accessible. A couple of weeks ago I invested in a cheapo hydration pack / rucksack. On the
waistband it has a little zip pocket, slightly larger than credit card size. On the outside of this
pocket is a red cross with the words 'emergency contact details'. Obviously I will likely only be
wearing this when cycling greater distances than the 10 mins down the shops, but as most of my
riding is done for my own pleasure in my own leisure time and therefore likely to be the longer
journeys, it will probably be in excess of 95% of the times I'm out on the bike. Cheers, Dave

>Do you have a crafty method of making sure that you're wearing it every time you're on the bike?

I'd wear one all the time if it was gold :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003, Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 14:01:23 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
> > Following an exchange on rec.bicycles.misc I've just ordered a set of dogtags from
> > http://www.dogtagsonline.com/ - it seems like a sensible idea to have contact information about
> > one's person.
>
> Do you have a crafty method of making sure that you're wearing it every time you're on the bike?
> Or are you going to wear it all the time?

Why not wear it all the time? I wear a dog-tag on account of a medical condition I have, and I just
wear it all the time - problem solved. Actually, not _all_ the time - the council makes me take it
off to go swimming, and there's one other, umm, leisure activity when I normally take it off, but
otherwise I wear it permanently (and have done for many years). It's no bother.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:44:11 +0000, "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Do you have a crafty method of making sure that you're wearing it every time you're on the bike?

Heh! Ask me when it arrives.

>OTOH, there is an Organ Donor card in the seatpack that almost always gets transfered to the bike
>I'm riding -- and the others all have "remove before flight" flags where the seat pack attaches.

Ah, I'd not really thought about them - I never forget my wedge pack (no idea why, normally I'd
forget my head if not securely attached). Good plan for some things, though, including hanging on
QRs and brakes when you slack them off for maintenance. Hmmm...

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On 09 Feb 2003, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Do you have a crafty method of making sure that you're wearing it every time you're on the bike?
>
> I'd wear one all the time if it was gold :)

The one I wear all teh time is available in gold (and I think also silver, and possibly platinum).
Mine is stainless steel.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:

> On 09 Feb 2003, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >Do you have a crafty method of making sure that you're wearing it every time you're on the
> > >bike?
> >
> > I'd wear one all the time if it was gold :)
>
> The one I wear all teh time is available in gold (and I think also silver, and possibly platinum).
> Mine is stainless steel.

After buying the bent mine would be plastic - if I could afford one :-((

JohnB

> >Do you have a crafty method of making sure that you're wearing it every time you're on the bike?
>
> I'd wear one all the time if it was gold :)
>
> Cheers, helen s

...would it be any use getting one in plutonium or uranium.?..., then if any cager really pisses you
off, you could nuke 'em...yeah!!!!....hhhmm, gap in the market methinks.. Dave.

in article [email protected], Just zis Guy, you know? at
[email protected] wrote on 9/2/03 2:01 pm:

> Following an exchange on rec.bicycles.misc I've just ordered a set of dogtags from
> http://www.dogtagsonline.com/ - it seems like a sensible idea to have contact information about
> one's person. Actually I mentioned the thought to my wife and was told it was a Good Idea :)

Interesting idea. I really should carry contact details just in case, and this strikes me as a
pretty sensible way to do it. Unfortunately, it'd clash with my bone carving (it's a New Zealand
thing), which I wear about 98% of the time. I did have a similar idea when I was in university - I
was going to have my name, date of birth and blood type tattooed under my left armpit (doesn't get
in the way, likely to be spotted if I'm ever hospitalised). Has the advantage that you never forget
to put it on, the disadvantage that it's much harder to include current contact details. ;) Never
really got around to it, though.

It is pernicious to think that the natural must be good, or that it must be unavoidable. Everything
that happens is natural, and much that happens is unavoidable. ::Alan Gibbard
http://www.tallpoppy.org

In article <BA6DB352.5B15%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> Interesting idea. I really should carry contact details just in case, and this strikes me as a
> pretty sensible way to do it. Unfortunately, it'd clash with my bone carving (it's a New Zealand
> thing), which I wear about 98% of the time.

Wear something like a cramtag or a smartID tag on your shoe instead.

http://www.cramtag.co.uk/ http://www.smartidtag.com/

The latter look a bit more substantial.

> I did have a similar idea when I was in university - I was going to have my name, date of birth
> and blood type tattooed under my left armpit (doesn't get in the way, likely to be spotted if I'm
> ever hospitalised). Has the advantage that you never forget to put it on, the disadvantage that
> it's much harder to include current contact details. ;) Never really got around to it, though.

I wouldn't bother with the blood type since they would be unlikely to use blood without testing
first. They wouldn't take the risk that you'd got it wrong.

Colin