Doh! A Deer

Tim Hall

Guest
Out last night with Mrs. Hall on the tandem. Going at a respectable
pace down a slight down hill country lane. It's half nine, so pretty
dark.

Suddenly something detaches itself from the verge and runs at us - its
a young (spotty) deer. I slam on the anchors, lock the wheels up for
a second. The deer skids, swerves away and keeps pace with us for a
few yards before bounding back the way it came.

It was all a bit exciting.

Tim

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Out last night with Mrs. Hall on the tandem. Going at a respectable
> pace down a slight down hill country lane. It's half nine, so pretty
> dark.
>
> Suddenly something detaches itself from the verge and runs at us - its
> a young (spotty) deer. I slam on the anchors, lock the wheels up for
> a second. The deer skids, swerves away and keeps pace with us for a
> few yards before bounding back the way it came.
>

> It was all a bit exciting.
>

> Tim

.... did you notice if it was a female deer?

RG

In message <[email protected]>
Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> RG said the following on 23/08/2006 09:47:
>
> > ... did you notice if it was a female deer?

> Well, at 9:30pm there was certainly no ray of golden sun :)

My, my, my, what a story!

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

in message <[email protected]>, Tim Hall
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Out last night with Mrs. Hall on the tandem. Going at a respectable
> pace down a slight down hill country lane. It's half nine, so pretty
> dark.
>
> Suddenly something detaches itself from the verge and runs at us - its
> a young (spotty) deer. I slam on the anchors, lock the wheels up for
> a second. The deer skids, swerves away and keeps pace with us for a
> few yards before bounding back the way it came.

On an evening's mountain bike ride in the gloaming a few years back, a
deer I startled actually collided with me. I didn't come off and wasn't
hurt, and the deer bounded off apparently unhurt, but it was definitely
memorable.

;; We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other
;; languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their
;; pockets for new vocabulary -- James D. Nicoll

Tim Hall wrote:
> Out last night with Mrs. Hall on the tandem. Going at a respectable
> pace down a slight down hill country lane. It's half nine, so pretty
> dark.
>
> Suddenly something detaches itself from the verge and runs at us - its
> a young (spotty) deer. I slam on the anchors, lock the wheels up for
> a second. The deer skids, swerves away and keeps pace with us for a
> few yards before bounding back the way it came.
>

> It was all a bit exciting.

Not as exciting as my pal's deer encounter. Deer appears from shrubbery
at speed and hits cyclist. Deer carries cyclist into path of oncoming
car. Deer deceased. Cyclist bloodied but OK.

Not Responding wrote:

> Not as exciting as my pal's deer encounter. Deer appears from
> shrubbery at speed and hits cyclist. Deer carries cyclist into path
> of oncoming car. Deer deceased. Cyclist bloodied but OK.

Feck!

*** top post here if using Google groups*****
Tim Hall wrote:
> Out last night with Mrs. Hall on the tandem. Going at a respectable
> pace down a slight down hill country lane. It's half nine, so pretty
> dark.
>
> Suddenly something detaches itself from the verge and runs at us - its
> a young (spotty) deer. I slam on the anchors, lock the wheels up for
> a second. The deer skids, swerves away and keeps pace with us for a
> few yards before bounding back the way it came.

Ashdown Forest? apparently one of the few deer habitats where numbers
are controlled by road kill alone. I've happened upon one (with car
driver waiting for the humane squad) whilst riding near Kingscote; and
a couple of months ago Mrs M met a whole (insert plural noun) standing
in the middle of the Turners Hill road at about 2230.

On the Denmead 200 in March I was sure I'd chanced upon a herd of
Muntjacs, but on closer inspection they were hares.

MartinM wrote:

> Ashdown Forest? apparently one of the few deer habitats where numbers
> are controlled by road kill alone. I've happened upon one (with car
> driver waiting for the humane squad) whilst riding near Kingscote; and
> a couple of months ago Mrs M met a whole (insert plural noun) standing
> in the middle of the Turners Hill road at about 2230.

A froup of us came close to being trampled underhoof by a herd of 'em near
Coggeshall on last year's Essex Lanes 150. We were travelling with no great
haste, having just passed a couple of horses when the lead rider anchored up
sharply as a deer came charging out of the woods and across the road.
Followed by 30 or so more.

> On the Denmead 200 in March I was sure I'd chanced upon a herd of
> Muntjacs, but on closer inspection they were hares.

Came across a solitary muntjac during the Muswell Hills 200 last month.

--
Dave Larrington
Mr. Charles Kennedy (Krankieburgh): Would the Prime Minister

MartinM wrote:

> On the Denmead 200 in March I was sure I'd chanced upon a herd of
> Muntjacs, but on closer inspection they were hares.

From my experience of Muntjac in Oxfordshire they only ever seem to be
in ones and two rather than herds. Never had a problem with them on a
bike though. Now sheep on the other hand...

Colin

On 23 Aug 2006 14:15:04 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:

>*** top post here if using Google groups*****
>Tim Hall wrote:
>> Out last night with Mrs. Hall on the tandem. Going at a respectable
>> pace down a slight down hill country lane. It's half nine, so pretty
>> dark.
>>
>> Suddenly something detaches itself from the verge and runs at us - its
>> a young (spotty) deer. I slam on the anchors, lock the wheels up for
>> a second. The deer skids, swerves away and keeps pace with us for a
>> few yards before bounding back the way it came.

>Ashdown Forest?

Edges of. The lane running south towards Ardingly Reservoir from the
Turners Hill - Worth Abbey road. I'd offered Mrs. Hall the choice of
straight on to the Cowdray Arms or do an extra loop. She, foolishly,
chose the loop.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:

> >Ashdown Forest?

> Edges of. The lane running south towards Ardingly Reservoir from the
> Turners Hill - Worth Abbey road. I'd offered Mrs. Hall the choice of
> straight on to the Cowdray Arms or do an extra loop. She, foolishly,
> chose the loop.

Back Lane; nice. Paddockhall Farm barn down that lane was built by a
naval engineer; apparently the roof is self supporting (not open to the
public unless you are Mark Thomas). You can also get into Wakehurst for
free on a footpath from that lane. Is the Cowdray still a free house or
has it succumbed to The Greene Side ?.

On 24 Aug 2006 13:29:58 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tim Hall wrote:
>
>> >Ashdown Forest?

>> Edges of. The lane running south towards Ardingly Reservoir from the
>> Turners Hill - Worth Abbey road. I'd offered Mrs. Hall the choice of
>> straight on to the Cowdray Arms or do an extra loop. She, foolishly,
>> chose the loop.

>Back Lane; nice. Paddockhall Farm barn down that lane was built by a
>naval engineer; apparently the roof is self supporting (not open to the
>public unless you are Mark Thomas).

Was it the same naval engineer (Whitehead?) who did all the torpedo
work and lived at Worth abbey? Buried in Worth church IIRC.

>You can also get into Wakehurst for
>free on a footpath from that lane. Is the Cowdray still a free house or
>has it succumbed to The Greene Side ?.

It had a <spit> Greene King sign outside, which caused consternation,
but was selling other beer (Morland I think) inside.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:

> Was it the same naval engineer (Whitehead?) who did all the torpedo
> work and lived at Worth abbey? Buried in Worth church IIRC.

probably; don't know that much about it, my brother did a job there
which is how I know.

> It had a <spit> Greene King sign outside, which caused consternation,
> but was selling other beer (Morland I think) inside.

Morland is owned (and brewed) by GK AFAIK. I had a very scary chat at
the GBBF about how easily they could swallow Harveys ;-(

back on topic; have often espied bunches of beer around there; perhaps
taunting the poor buggers kept captive in Wakehurst...

MartinM wrote:

> Tim Hall wrote:
>

> > It had a <spit> Greene King sign outside, which caused consternation,
> > but was selling other beer (Morland I think) inside.

> Morland is owned (and brewed) by GK AFAIK.

Corect :-(
GK are effectively a national brewer and is swallowing up the family
independents like wildfire - they own and have closed Morland, Ruddles,
Ridleys, and are about to destroy Hardy & Hansons.
These once fine brews are now names only shipped out of Bury St Edmunds.

> I had a very scary chat at
> the GBBF about how easily they could swallow Harveys ;-(

My money is on Harvey's selling out to Fullers in the next year or two :-(

Fullers have recently ripped the heart out of Hampshire's brewing with
their purchase and closure of Gale's.
http://www.savegales.org.uk/
Harvey's is just one more step along the south coast and would fit in
nicely into teh Fuller's estate.

> back on topic; have often espied bunches of beer around there....

I have a soft spot for Harvey's.
Some year's back we cycled around all the Harvey's pubs with out two
daughters on the back of our bikes, to become the first to complete their
'Harvey's Hoppers Trail'. We camped at many of the pubs.
On arrival in Lewes we were feted at the brewery and the Jenner family
(owners of Harveys) came out in force.
It was certainly a tour with a difference.

John B

John B wrote:

> My money is on Harvey's selling out to Fullers in the next year or two :-(

Hmm not sure, yes have seen Gales fall to Fullers in the New Forest but
weren't Gales always a bit of a also ran to Whitbread and kept on a
short leash?
Fullers is quite widely obtainable down here anyway.

> I have a soft spot for Harvey's.
> Some year's back we cycled around all the Harvey's pubs with out two
> daughters on the back of our bikes, to become the first to complete their
> 'Harvey's Hoppers Trail'. We camped at many of the pubs.
> On arrival in Lewes we were feted at the brewery and the Jenner family
> (owners of Harveys) came out in force.
> It was certainly a tour with a difference.

nice one; one way of avoiding the two year waiting list ;-) have you
tried their Olympia, a summer ale brewed for the GBBF (in Earl's
Court!) ?