Doh!

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > For once, the p*ncture fairy wasn't to blame for a slow puncture on one of
> > my bikes.
> >
> > Here's what I found when I took the tube out.
> >
> > http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/innertube.jpg
> >
> > That's an impression of a schrader valve cap btw. ;-)
> >
> > Anyone left anything bigger in a tyre?
> >

> A large bit of cardboard ... but mine was intentional. ;)

bust tire? last time i went out with the wheelers someone had a tire
blow, quite impressive, fixed it with a bit of old tire from his mate.
certinaly a warning how fragile these lightweight tires can be.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

In article <1i1fxng.xva73711sex70N%[email protected]>, Roger
Merriman
[email protected] says...

> bust tire? last time i went out with the wheelers someone had a tire
> blow, quite impressive, fixed it with a bit of old tire from his mate.
> certinaly a warning how fragile these lightweight tires can be.

On the whole they're not really fragile, just less tolerant of abuse and
more likely to fail spectacularly if they do fail because of the
pressure involved.

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1i1fxng.xva73711sex70N%[email protected]>, Roger
> Merriman
> [email protected] says...
>
> > bust tire? last time i went out with the wheelers someone had a tire
> > blow, quite impressive, fixed it with a bit of old tire from his mate.
> > certinaly a warning how fragile these lightweight tires can be.
> >

> On the whole they're not really fragile, just less tolerant of abuse and
> more likely to fail spectacularly if they do fail because of the
> pressure involved.

well there is lot less tire, about half the weight, of the
touring/commutter type tires fitted to my bike. hit very small pebble or
such he was just in front, certianly not abuse thats my more my style he
was being careful but obvously hit a little bit of debrie in the lane.

tires PSI aren't likely to be that differnat 100 to what 110-130 or so
300g isn't a lot of anything.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

In article <1i1k1x8.ezpp4dl521yoN%[email protected]>, Roger
Merriman
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <1i1fxng.xva73711sex70N%[email protected]>, Roger
> > Merriman
> > [email protected] says...
> >
> > > bust tire? last time i went out with the wheelers someone had a tire
> > > blow, quite impressive, fixed it with a bit of old tire from his mate.
> > > certinaly a warning how fragile these lightweight tires can be.
> > >

> > On the whole they're not really fragile, just less tolerant of abuse and
> > more likely to fail spectacularly if they do fail because of the
> > pressure involved.

> well there is lot less tire, about half the weight, of the
> touring/commutter type tires fitted to my bike.

Less width and less rubber - the casing should be at least as strong.
The sidewalls are more prone to damage from brake rub, rough rims or
underinflation, but if that happens it's not the fault of the tyre.

> hit very small pebble or
> such he was just in front, certianly not abuse thats my more my style he
> was being careful but obvously hit a little bit of debrie in the lane.

I think there must have been some previous damage for that to have
happened.

> tires PSI aren't likely to be that differnat 100 to what 110-130 or so
> 300g isn't a lot of anything.

You run 100PSI in touring tyres?

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1i1k1x8.ezpp4dl521yoN%[email protected]>, Roger
> Merriman
> [email protected] says...
> > Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <1i1fxng.xva73711sex70N%[email protected]>, Roger
> > > Merriman
> > > [email protected] says...

> > > On the whole they're not really fragile, just less tolerant of abuse and
> > > more likely to fail spectacularly if they do fail because of the
> > > pressure involved.

> > well there is lot less tire, about half the weight, of the
> > touring/commutter type tires fitted to my bike.

> Less width and less rubber - the casing should be at least as strong.
> The sidewalls are more prone to damage from brake rub, rough rims or
> underinflation, but if that happens it's not the fault of the tyre.

i dought the casing can be a strong as there is less to spread the load,
one reason for the speed. but the tire is more than the casing, the
extra rubber will no dought help as well.

thin tires are for going fast, not durablity. it's the comprmise. it
also depends on your view point, i never used a bike off road to any
degree so the idea that a small bit of road junk could not only puncture
but put a nice hole though is very much a fragile to others it would be
more normal or expected.

> > hit very small pebble or
> > such he was just in front, certianly not abuse thats my more my style he
> > was being careful but obvously hit a little bit of debrie in the lane.

> I think there must have been some previous damage for that to have
> happened.

maybe the though to be honest with those types of tires there isn't a
lot between the road and air, some heavy weight inner tubes are not far
off.

> > tires PSI aren't likely to be that differnat 100 to what 110-130 or so
> > 300g isn't a lot of anything.
> >

> You run 100PSI in touring tyres?

sure the marthon's are rated to 100PSI at least in 26inch.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com