doing my civic duty - by bike

davek

Guest
I've been called up for jury service in October - I already put them
off once but looks like I won't be able to get out of it this time (not
that I mind doing my civic duty, but being self-employed there's the
loss of earnings to consider).

Anyway, got a pack of info through from them the other day with
information on allowable expenses, which mentioned 6.5p per mile if you
travel to court by bike. (Which is considerably more generous than the
allowance for driving to court.)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.

d.

davek wrote:
> I've been called up for jury service in October - I already put them
> off once but looks like I won't be able to get out of it this time (not
> that I mind doing my civic duty, but being self-employed there's the
> loss of earnings to consider).
>
> Anyway, got a pack of info through from them the other day with
> information on allowable expenses, which mentioned 6.5p per mile if you
> travel to court by bike. (Which is considerably more generous than the
> allowance for driving to court.)
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
> worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
> hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
> would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.
>
> d.

Seems low at 6p/mile as normal business mileage is 20p/mile - the cost
of civil duty hey?? ;-)

Check the courts have showers...

--
XBL GameTag: Kinesin

(clear the weather to reply)

davek wrote:
> I've been called up for jury service in October - I already put them
> off once but looks like I won't be able to get out of it this time (not
> that I mind doing my civic duty, but being self-employed there's the
> loss of earnings to consider).
>
> Anyway, got a pack of info through from them the other day with
> information on allowable expenses, which mentioned 6.5p per mile if you
> travel to court by bike. (Which is considerably more generous than the
> allowance for driving to court.)
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
> worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
> hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
> would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.
>
> d.

Some years ago I claimed the first few days. But I was never actually
picked for a case. The Prosecution always rejected me. However I do
remember going in the court lift when leaving. It was one of those
'talking lifts'. On the doors closing it would say "Going
Down".......... An unfortunate phrase for those not yet sentenced I
thought..........
Sean.

Kinesin wrote:
> Seems low at 6p/mile as normal business mileage is 20p/mile - the cost
> of civil duty hey?? ;-)

It's not bad considering that those who drive their cars to court get
just 2.5p a mile.

> Check the courts have showers...

Hmm, good point.

d.

sean wrote:
>The Prosecution always rejected me.

Was this anything to do with turning up to court in lycra? ;-)

> On the doors closing it would say "Going
> Down".......... An unfortunate phrase for those not yet sentenced I
> thought..........

Arf!

d.

Kinesin <[email protected]> wrote:
> davek wrote:
>> I've been called up for jury service in October - I already put them
>> off once but looks like I won't be able to get out of it this time (not
>> that I mind doing my civic duty, but being self-employed there's the
>> loss of earnings to consider).
>>
>> Anyway, got a pack of info through from them the other day with
>> information on allowable expenses, which mentioned 6.5p per mile if you
>> travel to court by bike. (Which is considerably more generous than the
>> allowance for driving to court.)
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
>> worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
>> hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
>> would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.
>>
>> d.
>>

> Seems low at 6p/mile as normal business mileage is 20p/mile - the cost
> of civil duty hey?? ;-)

However, I guess it's not so bad given that the revenue might try
to describe your trip to court as a journey to and from work and
the allowance therefore liable for tax. ;-)

--
Nobby

"sean" <[email protected]>typed

> Some years ago I claimed the first few days. But I was never actually
> picked for a case. The Prosecution always rejected me. However I do
> remember going in the court lift when leaving. It was one of those
> 'talking lifts'. On the doors closing it would say "Going
> Down".......... An unfortunate phrase for those not yet sentenced I
> thought..........

A bit like the Labour Ward with 'PUSH' on the doors...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

davek wrote:
> I've been called up for jury service in October - I already put them
> off once but looks like I won't be able to get out of it this time (not
> that I mind doing my civic duty, but being self-employed there's the
> loss of earnings to consider).
>
> Anyway, got a pack of info through from them the other day with
> information on allowable expenses, which mentioned 6.5p per mile if you
> travel to court by bike. (Which is considerably more generous than the
> allowance for driving to court.)
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
> worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
> hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
> would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.

Having worked for a few gov't entities, albeit in Canada not the UK I
would say claim it even if it is a hassle. Often a minor progarm like
this is a matter of "use it or lose it". The cycling milage would seem
to help validate cycling as a normal means of transportation.

If it is not used someone is likely to come along in a few months or
years and remove it and the next time anyone asks a gov't dept for
cycling mileage the answer will be: "Oh the court service tried it but
nobody used it; it's just not worth doing". An anti-bike campaigner
then can say "We can't even pay people to ride their bikes"

And think of the satisfaction you get when you wave your pint at a
fellow jury-man sitting in his car stuck in traffic :)

John Kane
Kingston ON

davek wrote:
> I've been called up for jury service in October

So you're being forced to participate in a corrupt charade
that is based on depriving 12 innocent people of liberty and
livelihood for an *unlimited* period[1].

There's only one way to treat that: conscientious non-cooperation.
Noncooperation means you must refuse to take notice of the
theatrical performance in the courtroom - which side has the
more accomplished storyteller. You must simply acquit:

* if the accused hasn't done whatever they're charged with, then
acquittal is obvious.
* if the accused has done it, even if you get a Shipman or Huntley,
it's an altogether less significant crime[2] than that into which
you are coopted. In order not to make yourself complicit in the
greater crime, you must still acquit.

[1] At the extreme end - the OJ Simpson jury were locked up
for, in total, longer than he would have been if convicted.
[2] Almost certainly. I suppose if The Liar came on trial
for illegal wars, there could be an argument to the contrary.

--
Nick Kew

I did jury service at Harrow Crown Court a year and a half ago and cycled
there every day from Edgware, a grand total of a six mile round trip. It
took all on ten minutes at a leisurely pace and was by far the quickest
method (car would have been 20-25mins due to traffic at the peak and bus
(186 or 340 Helen!) would've been 25-30mins).
It wasn't far enough to warrant any lycra or showers and I rode in wearing
the clothes I wore for jury service.

Claiming was very easy, just filled in a form and they paid it. It actually
pays more not to buy their food or drink, take your own. I got more money
from doing that than for cycling in! I think it was something like £3 per
day in food allowance, as opposed to my 36p per day cycling.

Interestingly, they didn't check how anyone came in, I overheard another
juror saying how they walked the half mile or so every day but claimed the
70p each way for bus fare. Despite working for London Underground and
getting free travel I did not see it as a good move to attempt to defraud
the legal system and my claims remained honest!

Bob.

news:[email protected]...

davek wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
> worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
> hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
> would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.

Didn't bother: wasn't going to claim 50p! Aside from anything else
it'll cost 100 times that to administer, and it's all coming out of
public taxation (i.e., my money at some level) anyway, so unless
it's a fairly tidy sum I'd just file under "can't be arsed".

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Bob" <[email protected]>typed

> I did jury service at Harrow Crown Court a year and a half ago and cycled
> there every day from Edgware, a grand total of a six mile round trip. It
> took all on ten minutes at a leisurely pace and was by far the quickest
> method (car would have been 20-25mins due to traffic at the peak and bus
> (186 or 340 Helen!) would've been 25-30mins).
> It wasn't far enough to warrant any lycra or showers and I rode in wearing
> the clothes I wore for jury service.

David's probably doing Jury Service there in the autumn (they called
him, then cancelled in the spring, after he requested deferment)

I suspect he'll cycle there as it would be two buses each way from here
(114 + H9 or 32 + 186). This would take ages.

> Claiming was very easy, just filled in a form and they paid it. It actually
> pays more not to buy their food or drink, take your own. I got more money
> from doing that than for cycling in! I think it was something like £3 per
> day in food allowance, as opposed to my 36p per day cycling.

> Interestingly, they didn't check how anyone came in, I overheard another
> juror saying how they walked the half mile or so every day but claimed the
> 70p each way for bus fare. Despite working for London Underground and
> getting free travel I did not see it as a good move to attempt to defraud
> the legal system and my claims remained honest!

David could claim £3 for a One Day Bus Pass, but won't if he rides.

--

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> On the doors closing it would say "Going
>>Down".......... An unfortunate phrase for those not yet sentenced I
>>thought..........

> A bit like the Labour Ward with 'PUSH' on the doors...

Is that what comes nine months after the bar with "PULL" on the door?

--
Not me guv

Kinesin wrote:

> davek wrote:
>
>> I've been called up for jury service in October - I already put them
>> off once but looks like I won't be able to get out of it this time (not
>> that I mind doing my civic duty, but being self-employed there's the
>> loss of earnings to consider).

Claim for everything!
Discharged for early for the day? Spend the credit of your food card
before you leave!

>> Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
>> worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
>> hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
>> would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.
>>
>> d.

See above.

> Seems low at 6p/mile as normal business mileage is 20p/mile - the cost
> of civil duty hey?? ;-)
>
> Check the courts have showers...

You'll be the cleanest there, if you don't want to sit wear a suit and
tie and look professional, you'll stand out like a sore thumb with most
being scruffy can't be bothered to wash types....BTDTWTTS sticky carpet,
mucky seats, chewing gum everywhere, lovely way to spend a day....

Nick Kew wrote:
> davek wrote:
>
>> I've been called up for jury service in October

> So you're being forced to participate in a corrupt charade
> that is based on depriving 12 innocent people of liberty and
> livelihood for an *unlimited* period[1].
>
> There's only one way to treat that: conscientious non-cooperation.
> Noncooperation means you must refuse to take notice of the
> theatrical performance in the courtroom - which side has the
> more accomplished storyteller. You must simply acquit:
>
> * if the accused hasn't done whatever they're charged with, then
> acquittal is obvious.
> * if the accused has done it, even if you get a Shipman or Huntley,
> it's an altogether less significant crime[2] than that into which
> you are coopted. In order not to make yourself complicit in the
> greater crime, you must still acquit.

And the Chav that's flattened a cyclist? Acquit?

--
Tony

Anon

Peter Clinch wrote:
> davek wrote:
>
> > Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
> > worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
> > hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
> > would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.

> Didn't bother: wasn't going to claim 50p! Aside from anything else
> it'll cost 100 times that to administer, and it's all coming out of
> public taxation (i.e., my money at some level) anyway, so unless
> it's a fairly tidy sum I'd just file under "can't be arsed".

Funnily enough, I have been dragged up for jury service in a couple of
weeks time. I'll phone them and see what the cycle parking is like -
Any ideas Pete?

...d

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "sean" <[email protected]>typed
>

>>Some years ago I claimed the first few days. But I was never actually
>>picked for a case. The Prosecution always rejected me. However I do
>>remember going in the court lift when leaving. It was one of those
>>'talking lifts'. On the doors closing it would say "Going
>>Down".......... An unfortunate phrase for those not yet sentenced I
>>thought..........

> A bit like the Labour Ward with 'PUSH' on the doors...

Or the Maternity Unit with the Deliveries at the Rear sign...

--
Tony

Anon

davek wrote:

> Anyway, got a pack of info through from them the other day with
> information on allowable expenses, which mentioned 6.5p per mile if you
> travel to court by bike. (Which is considerably more generous than the
> allowance for driving to court.)
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming this - is it
> worth the bother? or is it one of those things that's just too much
> hassle? I was probably going to ride my bike to court anyway, but it
> would be good if I could claim a few beer tokens by way of recompense.

You should be able to claim the 6.5p from the Court and the 20p-6.5p
back on your tax form

--
Tony

Anon

On 30 Aug 2005 09:53:23 -0700, "davek" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've been called up for jury service in October - I already put them
>off once but looks like I won't be able to get out of it this time (not
>that I mind doing my civic duty, but being self-employed there's the
>loss of earnings to consider).

If you manage to get yourself charged with a criminal offence or
sectioned under the Mental Health Act, IIRC, you can get out of jury
service. I think that nuns and monks are exempt too.

Nick Kew wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > On the doors closing it would say "Going
> >>Down".......... An unfortunate phrase for those not yet sentenced I
> >>thought..........

> > A bit like the Labour Ward with 'PUSH' on the doors...
> >

> Is that what comes nine months after the bar with "PULL" on the door?
>
> --
> Not me guv

For years that always made me chuckle after just smoothing out my
eyebrows. And now someone as put it on the internet........ Now
Pull..... Now wash your hands.......
Sean.