Doing wheelies on a road bike, part 2

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Phil, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Sent too soon...

    I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link in
    here). I thought I might give it a try.

    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sent too soon...
    >
    > I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link in
    > here). I thought I might give it a try.
    >
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Some of the pro trackies (and Floyd Landis) have been known to do wheelies on their road bikes. Last
    time I tried it, I ended up on my back...

    The balance point is all wrong for doing stuff like that.

    Try it at your own risk.

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sent too soon...
    >
    > I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link in
    > here). I thought I might give it a try.
    >
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    One way to control a wheelie on a MTB is to feather the rear brake to keep from going over
    backwards. If you can manage this on a road bike you'll be a better man than I. ;^) There is a
    scene in the movie "Quicksilver" where a bike messenger does tricks on his bike which I believe
    (it's been a while since I've seen it) is a fixed gear track bike which would make the 'braking'
    done from the feet.

    Mike - post a link to the pictures when you master it. I want to see!

  4. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:e2e738bf.0302102209.250676[email protected]...
    > > Sent too soon...
    > >
    > > I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link
    > > in here). I thought I might give it a try.
    > >
    > > Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >
    > Some of the pro trackies (and Floyd Landis) have been known to do wheelies on their road bikes.
    > Last time I tried it, I ended up on my back...
    >
    > The balance point is all wrong for doing stuff like that.

    More importantly, you gotta keep your finger on the rear brake.

    > Try it at your own risk.

    Robin Hubert

  5. Vaughn

    Vaughn Guest

    On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:09:56 +0000, Phil wrote:

    > Sent too soon...
    >
    > I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link in
    > here). I thought I might give it a try.
    >
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Just make sure you unclip if you have to bail over the back! I have seen three people do a little
    damage landing on their butts. I forgot that when I attempted to ride wheelies as a kid I wasn't
    attached to the bike. At a young age you bounce, at my age you thud!

    1: ME, broke a saddle.

    2: Friend: Broke derailleur hanger and major road rash. He was in a parking lot instead of
    grass like me.

    3: Aquaintance: Broke ankle when bike twisted and his ankle didn't.

    Vaughn

  6. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I do wheelies on my road bike, but they are tricky. They require a great amount of power to get up
    (especially with the higher gearing) and the balance point is fairly high and once you reach it, you
    have a lot of momentum pushing you over. Honestly, I can't ride them far..only a few feet. On the
    MTB I can wheelie for 10's of metres..not so on the road bike. Don't clip in!

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson