Doing wheelies on a road bike, part 2

Phil

Guest
Sent too soon...

I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link in
here). I thought I might give it a try.

Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sent too soon...
>
> I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link in
> here). I thought I might give it a try.
>
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Some of the pro trackies (and Floyd Landis) have been known to do wheelies on their road bikes. Last
time I tried it, I ended up on my back...

The balance point is all wrong for doing stuff like that.

Try it at your own risk.

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sent too soon...
>
> I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link in
> here). I thought I might give it a try.
>
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

One way to control a wheelie on a MTB is to feather the rear brake to keep from going over
backwards. If you can manage this on a road bike you'll be a better man than I. ;^) There is a
scene in the movie "Quicksilver" where a bike messenger does tricks on his bike which I believe
(it's been a while since I've seen it) is a fixed gear track bike which would make the 'braking'
done from the feet.

Mike - post a link to the pictures when you master it. I want to see!

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Sent too soon...
> >
> > I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link
> > in here). I thought I might give it a try.
> >
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> Some of the pro trackies (and Floyd Landis) have been known to do wheelies on their road bikes.
> Last time I tried it, I ended up on my back...
>
> The balance point is all wrong for doing stuff like that.

More importantly, you gotta keep your finger on the rear brake.

> Try it at your own risk.

Robin Hubert

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:09:56 +0000, Phil wrote:

> Sent too soon...
>
> I'm not trying to troll. I read about a biker who advocated road-bike XCing (maybe from a link in
> here). I thought I might give it a try.
>
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Just make sure you unclip if you have to bail over the back! I have seen three people do a little
damage landing on their butts. I forgot that when I attempted to ride wheelies as a kid I wasn't
attached to the bike. At a young age you bounce, at my age you thud!

1: ME, broke a saddle.

2: Friend: Broke derailleur hanger and major road rash. He was in a parking lot instead of
grass like me.

3: Aquaintance: Broke ankle when bike twisted and his ankle didn't.

Vaughn

I do wheelies on my road bike, but they are tricky. They require a great amount of power to get up
(especially with the higher gearing) and the balance point is fairly high and once you reach it, you
have a lot of momentum pushing you over. Honestly, I can't ride them far..only a few feet. On the
MTB I can wheelie for 10's of metres..not so on the road bike. Don't clip in!

Cheers,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson