Doing wheelies on a road bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Phil, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.
    140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?
    <q>I'm really not trolling.

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.
    > only 140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?

    I used to ride my 10speed off road all the time back in the '70s. Go for
    it. But be prepared to work on your wheels.

    Mike

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Phil <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.

    I have never seen someone damage a bike from a wheelie unless they fall down doing it.

    >I was thinking about doing some XC MTB'ing soon on it... just to see what would happen. I'm only
    >140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?

    Riding road bikes in the dirt is great fun. You will eat parts just like on mountain bikes but if
    the equipment is in good order (esp. wheels) then I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. Passing
    mountain bikes on the descent is worth every penny. Really rocky or sandy stuff is usually not that
    great for skinny tires as they do not offer much floatation in loose stuff or much protection
    against bashing.

    --Paul

  4. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    If i recall right McEwen finished a mountain stage in the Tour on his rear wheel once.

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.
    > only 140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?

  5. Dave Jackson

    Dave Jackson Guest

    In article <K182a.32337$A%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Phil <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.
    >
    > I have never seen someone damage a bike from a wheelie unless they fall down doing it.
    >
    > >I was thinking about doing some XC MTB'ing soon on it... just to see what would happen. I'm only
    > >140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?
    >
    > Riding road bikes in the dirt is great fun. You will eat parts just like on mountain bikes but if
    > the equipment is in good order (esp. wheels) then I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. Passing
    > mountain bikes on the descent is worth every penny. Really rocky or sandy stuff is usually not
    > that great for skinny tires as they do not offer much floatation in loose stuff or much protection
    > against bashing.
    >
    > --Paul

    I hear Floyd Landis who with the USPS Tour Team can ride a mean wheelie, evn up a hill.

    Dave in Mnnesota