Doing wheelies on a road bike

Phil

Guest
Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.
140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?
<q>I'm really not trolling.

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.
> only 140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?

I used to ride my 10speed off road all the time back in the '70s. Go for
it. But be prepared to work on your wheels.

Mike

In article <[email protected]>, Phil <[email protected]> wrote:
>Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.

I have never seen someone damage a bike from a wheelie unless they fall down doing it.

>I was thinking about doing some XC MTB'ing soon on it... just to see what would happen. I'm only
>140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?

Riding road bikes in the dirt is great fun. You will eat parts just like on mountain bikes but if
the equipment is in good order (esp. wheels) then I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. Passing
mountain bikes on the descent is worth every penny. Really rocky or sandy stuff is usually not that
great for skinny tires as they do not offer much floatation in loose stuff or much protection
against bashing.

--Paul

If i recall right McEwen finished a mountain stage in the Tour on his rear wheel once.

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.
> only 140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?

In article <K182a.32337$A%[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Phil <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Is it okay to do wheelies on my road bike? It's full cromo, with 25mm tires inflated pretty high.
>
> I have never seen someone damage a bike from a wheelie unless they fall down doing it.
>
> >I was thinking about doing some XC MTB'ing soon on it... just to see what would happen. I'm only
> >140lbs though, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?
>
> Riding road bikes in the dirt is great fun. You will eat parts just like on mountain bikes but if
> the equipment is in good order (esp. wheels) then I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. Passing
> mountain bikes on the descent is worth every penny. Really rocky or sandy stuff is usually not
> that great for skinny tires as they do not offer much floatation in loose stuff or much protection
> against bashing.
>
> --Paul

I hear Floyd Landis who with the USPS Tour Team can ride a mean wheelie, evn up a hill.

Dave in Mnnesota