Dollar supermarkets

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dawn, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there is
    a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced over a
    dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.

    Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    phenomenon?

    Dawn

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dawn
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?
    >
    > Dawn

    Lots of groceries in the dollar stores around here (Twin
    Cities), but I've never seen frozen goods there.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:51:55 GMT, Dawn <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    >with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    >is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    >over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.

    Aldi seems to be the leader in much of the US, but it does
    have meats and produce (I believe).

    We have several non-chain dollar stores here in Austin that
    have quite an assortment of canned and dry goods mostly
    cheap, and some name brands (regular price).

    Most of this stuff is closeout items (either discontinued by
    the manufacturer or bought from another dying chain). But
    sometimes it's not as good a deal as it appears to be. Other
    times it's just satisfactory. I don't go out of my way to
    shop there. -sw

  4. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], Dawn at

    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?
    >

    > Dawn

    We have something called "Xpect Discounts" here, and while
    it's not a dollar store, per se, they do have some very good
    deals. They carry canned, frozen and fresh produce. I
    believe the only meats there are in the frozen food case.
    They carry lots of basic dairy items, too. I don't go there
    much because it's about 10 miles away.

    We also have "Price Rite", which is similar, except they
    also carry fresh meats, like chicken, ground beef, pork
    chops, pork butt roasts, chuck for stew, etc. They have
    great everyday low prices on chicken, for example, in large
    packages. $1.99 for boneless chicken breasts, in a 3-4 pound
    package. And the leg quarters are a great deal, if you like
    legs....$3.99 for a 10 lb bag!!!!! Ground "mystery" beef is
    $2.12 a pound, prepacked in 1.5-2 lb packages. Its in those
    "pillow packs" like they have a Walmart. They are not store
    ground, fer sure.

    This store has their own brands of many items, like canned
    veggies, tuna, cereals, soda, peanut butter, jelly, basic
    white bread, steak sauce, flour, laundry detergent, etc.
    Mostly staple items. I buy a very large canister of oatmeal
    for about $1.29, for example. 20 lb bags of Goya rice for
    $4. You get good value there, that's for sure. Have to know
    what you're buying though. Sometimes, it's not really a
    better value, but you're saving enough on the other stuff
    you're buying, so paying the same $2.00 for item x that
    you'd pay for it at the regular market isn't a big deal.
    Even if you pay a few cents more for a couple of items (not
    likely, but it happens, I suppose), there are some items
    there, like the Oatmeal, that are over a dollar less at
    Price Rite than at regular markets, so it more than makes up
    for it. Price Rite is really a store to go to for restocking
    the pantry.

    There is a rather large Black and Latino community here and
    the grocery stores cater to their needs. I think it's great!
    Everyone wins...we see terrific variety in all the different
    ethnic foods! And lower prices, too.

    I have noticed the Super Stop and Shops in my neighborhood
    are beginning to have more items at "everyday low prices"
    which is something I've wanted for years. Mangoes are always
    2 for a dollar here. Lemons, 4/$1, Limes, 5/$1. 20 lb bags
    of rice are $3.99. And they added a "dollar aisle", where
    you can get stuff that is normally found in the dollar
    stores. They have fabulous! strawberry and fig "newton" type
    cookies. The pretzels are a brand I pay a lot more for
    elsewhere! And the liquid hand soap is great because it's
    not "antibacterial", which I appreciate. Certain items are
    not a great value, like the dish washing detergent, it's too
    watery for the amount you get and I get a big bottle of
    Crystal White Octagon for $1.18 at Walmart and its' GREAT at
    cutting the grease. Lots of other items are everyday low
    priced too.

    I think it's great that these stores are beginning to
    respond to their competition and follow the model of the
    stores that are most successful. I know Walmart is supposed
    to be the evil empire, but I really appreciate the fact that
    I don't have to buy something NOW on "sale", even if I don't
    really need it now, but I'm afraid if I wait 2-3 weeks until
    I need it, the price will be considerably more. I have to
    really watch every penny I spend, so knowing I can buy what
    I need, WHEN I NEED IT, at the best prices is very helpful.

  5. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?
    >

    > Dawn

    We just got a discount grocery store too on the other side
    of the island, but the canned goods aren't under $1! Every
    item is an off-brand I've never heard of. I was only inside
    this place once and I didn't purchase anything, but my
    friend did. She bought some items that when opened were
    almost unedible. She never went back.

    kili

  6. "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?
    >

    > Dawn

    There is a "discount" supermarket in Portland (ME). Honestly
    I've never been into the place. What I know of it was from a
    former co-worker shopping there on her lunch break,
    everthing they sold was expired. But cheap! Not
    surprisingly, the gal that shopped there was also the one
    that wouldn't speak to me for a month after I took it upon
    myself to clean out the fridge in the break room, I tossed
    her bottle of salad dressing with a late 80s expiration
    date, this was in 97 or 98. Nothing to lure me in when I had
    the Portland Greengrocer, Miccuci's, and the Portland Public
    Market within walking distance of the office.

    The dollar stores here sell some grocery items it's all
    canned/boxed stuff and usually things that are cheaper at
    the grocery store. That said, I'd still at least browse a
    dollar grocery store, one never knows what difficult to find
    foodstuff an off price place might turn up.

    Jessica

  7. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?

    99¢ Only Stores (NYSE: NDN) operates over 100 locations in 3
    western states. All the ones in the L.A. area now have a
    selection of refrigerated foods and frozen foods as well as
    a large variety of other food items in addition to non-
    foods. Some of the items like milk are always there but a
    lot of other things come and go. They began with one store
    here in 1982 so it hasn't been just a midwest trend.
    Interestingly, 99¢ Only Stores also operates an outlet
    called Sav-Mor to dispose of their own closeouts and
    distressed merchandise. Canned food with dents, for example,
    is sold for a quarter when it reaches their outlet

  8. "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?

    Um, these aren't food stores. They are variety/dime stores.

  9. Lynn Gifford

    Lynn Gifford Guest

    Dawn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?
    >

    > Dawn

    We have one called Cheep Foods but goods are not limited to
    under a dollar. They have some discounted frozen stuff no
    produce but they do carry some dairy at regular supermarket
    prices. Our dollar stores all have lots of food but no
    frozen, produce or dairy. Cheep Foods accepts food stamps.
    The dollar stores do not. Lynn from Fargo (Who loves
    "scoring" fancy schmancy salad dressings etc. at less than
    half the retail $.)

  10. Hw

    Hw Guest

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?
    >

    > Dawn Chain in SoCal 99 cents store....nothing over 99
    > cents...lots of
    overruns...imported stuff...even eggs at 99 cents dozen
    & quarts of
    milk....very little frozen...ice cream bars....give me ten
    bucks and I stay for a day..

    Harriet & critters

  11. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    > We have several non-chain dollar stores here in Austin
    > that have quite an assortment of canned and dry goods
    > mostly cheap, and some name brands (regular price).

    Are they dedicated supermarket stores or just a couple
    aisles among the rest of the salvage? The two I mentioned
    are pretty big, and dedicated food stores.

    Dawn

  12. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    projectile vomit chick wrote:

    > "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > kc.rr.com...
    >
    >>There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    >>with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    >>is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    >>over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >>
    >>Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    >>phenomenon?
    >

    > Um, these aren't food stores. They are variety/dime
    > stores.

    But they do sell non-perishable food items as well as knick-
    knacks and junk.

    Best regards, Bob

  13. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:27:06 GMT, Dawn <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Steve Wertz wrote:
    >>
    >> We have several non-chain dollar stores here in Austin
    >> that have quite an assortment of canned and dry goods
    >> mostly cheap, and some name brands (regular price).
    >
    >Are they dedicated supermarket stores or just a couple
    >aisles among the rest of the salvage? The two I mentioned
    >are pretty big, and dedicated food stores.

    The latter. They stock about 800 different items though.
    These are *long* isles.

    Aldi is a dedicated supermarket.

    -sw

  14. Julian9ehp

    Julian9ehp Guest

    KML in Pittsburgh isn't as cheap as it once was -- canned
    goods are being reclaimed for Second Harvest. But the store
    has chicken for 25-35 cents a pound.
    E. P.

  15. Seattlejo

    Seattlejo Guest

    Dawn wrote:

    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?

    Sounds like a midest phenomenon to me. We have Grocery
    Outlet here in Seattle but no "under a dollar" grocery
    store. I've been into Grocery Outlet exactly twice, while
    purchasing the surplus grocery boxes used by a delivery
    grocery service. It seemed to have a small decent variety of
    canned and boxed goods. Some dairy, some produce, I dont
    remember if there was meat or not. I didnt see myself
    shopping their though, as everything was either an off brand
    or out of date. Deb

  16. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dawn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There's two of these in my area now. One opened last year
    > with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now there
    > is a new one that claims nothing in the store is priced
    > over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce department.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > phenomenon?
    >

    > Dawn

    They've been here in the South for years, but mostly just
    junque shops! Don't need dollar stores for canned goods most
    of the time, unless you are talking about some of the
    fancier canned meats. ;-)

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  17. Darkginger

    Darkginger Guest

    "Seattlejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dawn wrote:
    >
    > > Again, no meat or produce department.
    > >
    > > Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > > phenomenon?
    > >

    > It seemed to have a small decent variety of canned and
    > boxed goods. Some dairy, some produce, I dont remember if
    > there was meat or not.

    Both posters above seem to be using the word 'produce' to
    mean something specific - can anyone explain what that
    something is? To me (English living in Ireland), 'produce'
    could mean any type of basic ingredient, but obviously it's
    being used in a different way here. Thanks in advance for an
    explanation!

    Jo

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.614 /
    Virus Database: 393 - Release Date: 05/03/04

  18. "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > projectile vomit chick wrote:
    >
    > > "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > kc.rr.com...
    > >
    > >>There's two of these in my area now. One opened last
    > >>year with deep discounts on canned and frozen goods, now
    > >>there is a new one that claims nothing in the store is
    > >>priced over a dollar. Again, no meat or produce
    > >>department.
    > >>
    > >>Anyone else seeing these stores or is it a midwest
    > >>phenomenon?
    > >

    > > Um, these aren't food stores. They are variety/dime
    > > stores.
    > >

    > But they do sell non-perishable food items as well as knick-
    > knacks and
    junk.

    Yes, but I hardly consider that a "supermarket".

  19. Seattlejo

    Seattlejo Guest

    Darkginger wrote:

    > Both posters above seem to be using the word 'produce' to
    > mean something specific - can anyone explain what that
    > something is? To me (English living in Ireland), 'produce'
    > could mean any type of basic ingredient, but obviously
    > it's being used in a different way here. Thanks in advance
    > for an explanation!
    >
    > Jo

    When I refer to produce I'm talking fresh fruits and
    vegetables. Deb

  20. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    projectile vomit chick wrote:

    >>>Um, these aren't food stores. They are variety/dime
    >>>stores.
    >>>

    >>But they do sell non-perishable food items as well as knick-
    >>knacks and
    >
    > junk.
    >
    > Yes, but I hardly consider that a "supermarket".

    The ones I started this thread about are supermarkets. All
    they sell is food. Frozen food, canned food, dry boxed food,
    but only food. And everything is a dollar or less.

    It must be a local thing at the moment.

    Dawn