Dolphin vs flutter kick

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tf, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Tf

    Tf Guest

    I am taking a swimming class at my college and learning to swim...Pretty sad, I'm 20 and can barely
    swim :(. Our school district does require high school graduates to pass a swimming test (swim about
    50 meters and tread for 1 minute) or pass a swimming class. Though I passed the class, I was unable
    to pass the test...

    The other day I was watching a video of some guy surfacing by sorta wiggling his body back and
    forth, I'm guessing this is a dolphin kick. So...today I tried to imitate this in my swimming class.
    I think it worked to some extent because I was moving by just doing that kick. Is the dolphin kick
    more powerful than flutter kick? I noticed that I could go further without breathing with the
    dolphin kick compared to flutter kick. Is it efficient to use that kick with front crawl? I cannot
    do breast stroke because I haven't learned to breathe with that stroke yet.

    Tags:

  2. TF wrote:

    > I am taking a swimming class at my college and learning to swim...Pretty sad, I'm 20 and can
    > barely swim :(. Our school district does require high school graduates to pass a swimming test
    > (swim about 50 meters and tread for 1 minute) or pass a swimming class. Though I passed the class,
    > I was unable to pass the test...
    >
    > The other day I was watching a video of some guy surfacing by sorta wiggling his body back and
    > forth, I'm guessing this is a dolphin kick. So...today I tried to imitate this in my swimming
    > class. I think it worked to some extent because I was moving by just doing that kick. Is the
    > dolphin kick more powerful than flutter kick? I noticed that I could go further without breathing
    > with the dolphin kick compared to flutter kick. Is it efficient to use that kick with front crawl?

    Only if you also pull with both arms at the same time.

    Yes, the dolphin kick is more powerful, but, it has a dead space in it that the flutter kick
    doesn't have, owing to the fact that the human body doesn't have the muscular symmetry of a fish or
    whale. So, although it is probably possible to generate more power with the dolphin kick, it would
    require more energy to be able to maintain a greater speed over a long distance than with flutter
    kick. You will see backstrokers use it under water when they push off the wall on each turn, but
    I've never seen it used effectively in either backstroke or crawl, presumably because it throws the
    body out of balance.

    > I cannot do breast stroke because I haven't learned to breathe with that stroke yet.

    It is pretty easy. Your body will lift naturally as you pull, because of the hydroplane effect. Let
    your face rise above the surface as your body lifts; take a breath, and then let your face fall back
    into the water.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  3. 4precious

    4precious Guest

    [email protected] (TF) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am taking a swimming class at my college and learning to swim...Pretty sad, I'm 20 and can
    > barely swim :(. Our school district does require high school graduates to pass a swimming test
    > (swim about 50 meters and tread for 1 minute) or pass a swimming class. Though I passed the class,
    > I was unable to pass the test...
    >
    > The other day I was watching a video of some guy surfacing by sorta wiggling his body back and
    > forth, I'm guessing this is a dolphin kick. So...today I tried to imitate this in my swimming
    > class. I think it worked to some extent because I was moving by just doing that kick. Is the
    > dolphin kick more powerful than flutter kick? I noticed that I could go further without breathing
    > with the dolphin kick compared to flutter kick. Is it efficient to use that kick with front crawl?
    > I cannot do breast stroke because I haven't learned to breathe with that stroke yet.

    There's a really fun video of Michael Klim dolphin kicking after a flip turn at the following site:

    http://wave.prohosting.com/swimmers/

    The video is under freestyle and called KlimFree.avi

    Klim does a flip-turn, or tumble turn, directly onto his back. No time spent twisting. He then
    dolphin kicks like mad while he rotates from back to side to stomach to begin freestyle again. It
    looks like he literally picks up tenths of a second on the competition, who are doing flip turn with
    partial twists (toes point to the side when they hit the wall, not up) and then start flutter
    kicking. Of course Klim is a World Class Butterflyer, so his turn technique plays to that strength.

    -Eric