Domestic Bike Locker

Simon wrote:
> I'm considering a large, secure domestic bike locker, I know http://www.cycle-works.com/ has them
> but what do they cost? Any other suppliers?
>
> Ta

Timely question - I'm going to have to store that new bike outside. Now I know it's not ideal but I
think it's going to be inevitable.

What do you lot think of a custom built "locker" attached to my garden wall - the bike would have to
be stored vertically. Security fixings aside, would it be OK to hang the bike from a hook through
the rear wheel? On the point of security fixings what would you recommend?

Painted "park bench green" I can't convince myself it would be an asset to the frontage but I can
see no other way of storing it. At least I'd have the satisfaction of padlocking the box and then
securing it again inside (kryptonite style lock perhaps?).

"Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon wrote:
> > I'm considering a large, secure domestic bike locker, I know http://www.cycle-works.com/ has
> > them but what do they cost? Any other suppliers?
> >
> > Ta
>
> Timely question - I'm going to have to store that new bike outside. Now I know it's not ideal but
> I think it's going to be inevitable.
>
> What do you lot think of a custom built "locker" attached to my garden wall - the bike would have
> to be stored vertically. Security fixings
aside,
> would it be OK to hang the bike from a hook through the rear wheel? On
the
> point of security fixings what would you recommend?
>
> Painted "park bench green" I can't convince myself it would be an asset to the frontage but I can
> see no other way of storing it. At least I'd have the satisfaction of padlocking the box and then
> securing it again inside (kryptonite style lock perhaps?).

=============
I had a small shed made to measure by a local shed maker. It sits on a paved area at the front of my
house and it's painted to blend in with the house colour. It cost me about £100-00 and I added a
steel security bar on the floor to which I can secure the trike using a cable lock. I notified my
house insurance company and they added a clause to my policy to cover the trike at little or no
extra cost.

You can buy 'utility' hooks at Focus which attach to a wall or door. My mountain bike hangs on two
of these by the handle bars with the saddle and handle bars facing the wall. It's quick and easy and
does no harm to bike or wall.

Cic.

Cicero wrote:
> =============
> I had a small shed made to measure by a local shed maker. It sits on a paved area at the front of
> my house and it's painted to blend in with the house colour. It cost me about £100-00 and I added
> a steel security bar on the floor to which I can secure the trike using a cable lock. I notified
> my house insurance company and they added a clause to my policy to cover the trike at little or no
> extra cost.
>
> You can buy 'utility' hooks at Focus which attach to a wall or door. My mountain bike hangs on two
> of these by the handle bars with the saddle and handle bars facing the wall. It's quick and easy
> and does no harm to bike or wall.
>
> Cic.

What I have in mind is a -vertical- "cupboard" as narrow as possible as it will attach to a side
wall abutting the house (front garden falls away steeply and this would be at the bottom). So I'd
like to make it as slim as possible say 15-18" (?). I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain
it with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways - if that makes sense?) and hang the bike from
the rear wheel. Putting anchors for security in the wall shouldn't be a problem together with a
padlock outside.

Still think it's viable/OK?

Tenex wrote:
> Cicero wrote:
>> =============
>> I had a small shed made to measure by a local shed maker. It sits on a paved area at the front of
>> my house and it's painted to blend in with the house colour. It cost me about £100-00 and I added
>> a steel security bar on the floor to which I can secure the trike using a cable lock. I notified
>> my house insurance company and they added a clause to my policy to cover the trike at little or
>> no extra cost.
>>
>> You can buy 'utility' hooks at Focus which attach to a wall or door. My mountain bike hangs on
>> two of these by the handle bars with the saddle and handle bars facing the wall. It's quick and
>> easy and does no harm to bike or wall.
>>
>> Cic.
>
> What I have in mind is a -vertical- "cupboard" as narrow as possible as it will attach to a side
> wall abutting the house (front garden falls away steeply and this would be at the bottom). So I'd
> like to make it as slim as possible say 15-18" (?). I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and
> chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways - if that makes sense?) and hang the bike
> from the rear wheel. Putting anchors for security in the wall shouldn't be a problem together with
> a padlock outside.
>
> Still think it's viable/OK?

Yup .. I hang three bikes up, two by their rear wheels, one by it's front wheel, and none have
suffered any problems at all.

--

Completed 1705 Seti work units in 12954 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
PS, Extra Smileys in my posts are to bug K Man .. ;)

"Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Cicero wrote:
> > =============
> > I had a small shed made to measure by a local shed maker. It sits on a paved area at the front
> > of my house and it's painted to blend in with the house colour. It cost me about £100-00 and I
> > added a steel security bar on the floor to which I can secure the trike using a cable lock. I
> > notified my house insurance company and they added a clause to my policy to cover the trike at
> > little or no extra cost.
> >
> > You can buy 'utility' hooks at Focus which attach to a wall or door. My mountain bike hangs on
> > two of these by the handle bars with the saddle and handle bars facing the wall. It's quick and
> > easy and does no harm to bike or wall.
> >
> > Cic.
>
> What I have in mind is a -vertical- "cupboard" as narrow as possible as it will attach to a side
> wall abutting the house (front garden falls away steeply and this would be at the bottom). So I'd
> like to make it as slim
as
> possible say 15-18" (?). I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain
it
> with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways - if that makes sense?) and hang the bike from the
> rear wheel. Putting anchors for security in the
wall
> shouldn't be a problem together with a padlock outside.
>
> Still think it's viable/OK?

==============
Yes, it's certainly viable. What we're discussing is after all only an unusually shaped shed. I
believe B&Q sell an upright garden store made from plastic which you might be able to use. The only
minor drawback with your requirements is having to remove / refit the front wheel every time. Are
there such things as folding handlebars which (if they exist) would allow you to hang the bike
without dismantling anything?

Cic.

Cicero wrote:

> ==============
> Yes, it's certainly viable. What we're discussing is after all only an unusually shaped shed. I
> believe B&Q sell an upright garden store made from plastic which you might be able to use. The
> only minor drawback with your requirements is having to remove / refit the front wheel every time.
> Are there such things as folding handlebars which (if they exist) would allow you to hang the bike
> without dismantling anything?
>
> Cic.

Don't know, maybe worth a look. Thanks to you and Paul for the feedback.

You're right, B&Q do have some but the wall store is only a metre tall and shiplap. The nice
plastic ones are floor mounted and therefore no good. If anyone knows of a cheap wall mounted one
let me know!

"Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways
> - if that makes sense?)

Alternatively to poping off the front wheel you could loosen off the stem a bit and turn the bars
sideways that way. I find poping off a wheel involves a bit more than releasing a QR (on mine it
involves unscrewing the other side of the QR a few turns, releasing the cable from the brake
calipers and lifting/juggling the bike to get the axle out). Loosening off a couple of bolts with an
allen key could be quicker.

Rich

Richard Goodman wrote:
> "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways
>> - if that makes sense?)
>
> Alternatively to poping off the front wheel you could loosen off the stem a bit and turn the bars
> sideways that way. I find poping off a wheel involves a bit more than releasing a QR (on mine it
> involves unscrewing the other side of the QR a few turns, releasing the cable from the brake
> calipers and lifting/juggling the bike to get the axle out). Loosening off a couple of bolts with
> an allen key could be quicker.
>
> Rich

Good point. I tried floating the idea last night of hanging the bike on the kitchen wall - there is
an 11' ceiling height after all and as you can imagine it's not being used. Lead and ballon are two
words that may be used to describe the response..... Some people.

Tenex wrote:
> Richard Goodman wrote:
>> "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars
>>> sideways - if that makes sense?)
>>
>> Alternatively to poping off the front wheel you could loosen off the stem a bit and turn the bars
>> sideways that way. I find poping off a wheel involves a bit more than releasing a QR (on mine it
>> involves unscrewing the other side of the QR a few turns, releasing the cable from the brake
>> calipers and lifting/juggling the bike to get the axle out). Loosening off a couple of bolts with
>> an allen key could be quicker.
>>
>> Rich
>
> Good point. I tried floating the idea last night of hanging the bike on the kitchen wall - there
> is an 11' ceiling height after all and as you can imagine it's not being used. Lead and ballon are
> two words that may be used to describe the response..... Some people.

Perhaps a winch, such as used in days of yore for washing lines indoors, may help get the bike above
eye-line .. ;)

Of course, there are various other uses for such a device, but that's maybe best left to the
imagination .. ;)

--

Completed 1708 Seti work units in 12974 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

> Perhaps a winch, such as used in days of yore for washing lines indoors, may help get the bike
> above eye-line .. ;)

No need I can reach ;-)

... and I'd be hanging it upside down so no doubt the bars would get used for hanging
something else.....

"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars
> > sideways - if that makes sense?)
>
> Alternatively to poping off the front wheel you could loosen off the stem
> bit and turn the bars sideways that way. I find poping off a wheel
involves
> a bit more than releasing a QR (on mine it involves unscrewing the other side of the QR a few
> turns, releasing the cable from the brake calipers
and
> lifting/juggling the bike to get the axle out). Loosening off a couple of bolts with an allen key
> could be quicker.
>
> Rich

I've fitted a couple of these for peeps who need to store bikes in a corridor: http://www.x-fix.nl/
There is some English on the site if you look carefully and I got them to mail to me after an email
and sending Euro notes. (My bank wanted more for the transfer than the cost of the part) Ian