Dominate foot

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by nxixcxk, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. nxixcxk

    nxixcxk Guest

    I used to play lots of basketball and didn't end up developing my other
    hand (in terms of doing layups) untill a year or two after starting
    bball. Having both hands developed really helped me gain a competitive
    edge and I'm trying to relate this to unicycling.

    Now that I'm just getting the hang of unicycling, I'm wondering *-how
    many of you practice idling/mounting with your non-dominate leg*-...and
    how much does this help. I can idle and mount fine with my dominate
    leg, and have now been practicing my other side and have noticed that
    the motor skills gained in my non-dominant leg from practicing
    idling/mounting have really helped my overall performance on the uni.

    Thoughts?

    --
    nxixcxk
    nxixcxk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10250

  2. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    I practice idling with my non-dom. I'm okay, but better with my right
    foot.
    I can hop 12" with right foot in front, and about 3" with left foot in
    front.
    I can usually mount on first try with my left.

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  3. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    I hop with my left foot back, and idle with my left foot down. but I
    can idle equally well both ways, it's just easier with my left foot
    down. and I can mount with my right foot kinda okay, it's not easy, but
    I can do it successfully most of the time. I'm trying to learn to hop
    with my right foot back instead of my left, and I'm not very good at it
    so far...

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

  4. skate4flip

    skate4flip Guest

    I practiced alot of things with my non-dominant foot for the skill
    levels. I can:

    Idle with left and right foot
    Idle one footed with left and right foot
    Idle with one foot extended with left and right foot
    Ride one footed in a figure 8 with left or right foot.

    I have tried hopping with my left foot in front but it is hard. I can
    hop in place but i havent tried hopping up or across anything.

    The only mounts i can do with either foot is the static and rollback
    mount. I have tried the side mount with my right foot a couple times but
    i couldnt do it.

    --
    skate4flip - level 6
    skate4flip's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10198

  5. halfbike

    halfbike Guest

    It's nice to be able to do skills with both legs. I really noticed it
    helps to know things on both sides when I started to play a little uni
    bball. But one thing I haven't master is one footed idle with foot.

    --
    halfbike - Obsessed Rider

    Your mom goes to college...
    halfbike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9428

  6. halfbike

    halfbike Guest

    It's nice to be able to do skills with both legs. I really noticed it
    helps to know things on both sides when I started to play a little uni
    bball. But one thing I haven't master is one footed idle with foot.

    --
    halfbike - Obsessed Rider

    Your mom goes to college...
    halfbike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9428

  7. dinmamma

    dinmamma Guest

    I can mount just as well with left as right foot, and can also idle
    equally well. The same goes for one-footed riding (and idling). I've
    learned to one-foot wheel walk with my non-dominant foot also, but it
    doesn't feel as natural or relaxed.

    There are plenty of reasons to learn skills with your non-dominant foot
    as well. For example if you've done a trick and are about to get back
    onto the pedals, they may not be in the preferred position. Instead of
    having to dismount you can still get into riding.

    Many of the skills in the ten levels build on this, and I'm sure it
    helps overall competence in handling the unicycle.

    --
    dinmamma
    dinmamma's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9995

  8. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    The word nxixcxk is looking for is "dominant." There are lots of good
    reasons to learn the base range of skills with both feet. They will make
    your body more even, your riding more versatile, and you less likely to
    fall off while doing any number of things on a unicycle.

    As you go into the higher range of difficulty there is less benefit or
    need to know skills on both sides. Especially if they are tricks you
    only do for show. For example, I once spent a bunch of time practicing a
    one-foot riding thing where I would smoothly switch from one foot to the
    other. It turned out nobody really noticed what I was doing. Judges
    should notice, but an audience may not pick up on it.

    Mounting and idling are the basics of what you should learn with both
    feet. I have also learned one-footing (forward and back) and wheel
    walking with either foot.

    --
    johnfoss - More Moab Fun

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  9. johnfoss

[...]

  10. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    - I mount beginning with my right foot,
    - Idle with either foot, .
    - I have to go out and check which foot I hop with .... (pause for a
    couple o'minutes).... turns out I hop with my left foot in front.

    I'm happy with always mounting with the right foot, for now.

    It never occurred to me that I was only hoping with my left foot in
    front. I'm going to work on leading with the right. I just tried and was
    able to do it, but was very weak, and sloppy.

    Thanks for the skill boost idea.

    --
    Chrashing - Unicycles are flying machines!

    Regards,
    Ken
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  11. jsm

    jsm Guest

    I mount and do one-footed riding and one-footed wheel walk with both
    feet. I've even managed a little one-footed backward riding and
    one-footed backward wheel walk with my non-dominant foot. My right foot
    is dominant for everything except sideways wheel walk one-footed, which
    I do with my left foot.

    --
    jsm - Sunset Side Ride

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  12. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    I have found that learning to idle with my left foot has really helped
    me in learning to ride backwards (although I can't do it yet, it feels
    much, much better) after learning to idle with my left foot. As opposed
    to just idling with my right foot. I was amazed how 'weak' my left foot
    is in unicycling when I started to learn to idle with it.
    The next thing is to learn to mount with that foot and I'm working on
    that too.
    Cathy

    --
    cathwood - Lunicyclist

    A thought is just a thought.

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  13. zod

    zod Guest

    My left foots my chocolate foot but I can mount and idle with my right
    foot as well........just not as easily.

    --
    zod - Southern Fried mUni

    zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631