DOMS vs. Injury

On 15 Feb 2004 18:26:24 GMT, [email protected] (Isiafs5) wrote:

>Anyone have a good short term way to distinguish DOMS from muscle/tendon injury?
>
>Sling Skate
>
>My recommended reading for body fat control: http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

An interesting question I'm sure I don't have an answer for, maybe someone else does. In my
experiance it the differences are so minute that only time and experiances can really tell
the differnece. Kinda like an artist can tell the differnece between what I'd call light
green and well.... Light green. DOMS in my experinace has a slightly "dull" "achy" feeling.
Also in my experinace this is generally accompinied by a general "fatigue". Movements are
slow and hurt but continued motion have a tendancy of feeling a bit better not worse. OTOH
an injury is usually a slighty "sharper" pain. Generally more specific in location. you'd
probably say "It hurts when I push here" rather than "it hurts when I move this muscle". IOW
DOMS, at least in my experiance, incorporates most of the muslce or muscle group were as an
injury generally hurts in only a specific location of the muscle or tendon. Obviously if the
pain is in the area of a tendon only, Achilles, PF, ITB then it's not DOMS but some
irritation to the tendon. Obviously I'm not a doctor and this is only my experiance.
Hopefully someone else with have a more "clinical" method.

~Matt

>MJuric [email protected]
>Date: 2/15/2004 4:45 PM Pacific Standar

Thanks for the response. As any active person uh... matures this will become a more and more
important question.

You comments refect my experience with one exception. I find that in some tendon injuries that the
pain is generalized or even telescopes for a day or two and then I can find the exact source. A good
example of this is a back pain that nagged me. I massaged the area and didn't get the expected
results. After a few days and by accident I discovered that the injured tendon was actually one of
my obliques, on my side.

Everytime this happens its a risk decision: dont' waste a training day versus making the injury
worse and losing many more training days.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control: http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

DOMS - generally dull pain, like the other poster said. Injury - generall sharp pain. Also, if the
pain persists through another workout then it very well could be an injury.

All it takes is a couple of overuse injuries, and you will be able to tell. Bob Pawlak (remove
1et.tw to e-mail) Chess Assistance http://www.chessassistance.com Chess Reviews
http://www.chessreviews.com

> Anyone have a good short term way to distinguish DOMS from muscle/tendon injury?
>
> Sling Skate

DOMS affects the entire muscle, and responds well to massage and light use?

I do not generally get tendon pain when training, unless injured.

If you risked warming up a DOMS-sore muscle and using it, you should be able to do so without
symptoms. Though you could injure it by this test.

Isiafs5 wrote:

> Anyone have a good short term way to distinguish DOMS from muscle/tendon injury?

Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh

"Josh Steinberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Isiafs5 wrote:
>
> > Anyone have a good short term way to distinguish DOMS from muscle/tendon injury?
>
> Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a result of microscopic tearing (and also swelling, to a lesser
extent) of muscle fibers.

It's strange that a doctor wouldn't have come across this term before! Especially a doctor that runs
regularly.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

SwStudio wrote:
> "Josh Steinberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Isiafs5 wrote:
>>

>>>Anyone have a good short term way to distinguish DOMS from muscle/tendon injury?
>>
>>Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh
>

> Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a result of microscopic tearing (and also swelling, to a
> lesser extent) of muscle fibers.
>
> It's strange that a doctor wouldn't have come across this term before! Especially a doctor that
> runs regularly.
>

> cheers,

Why? It seems like a pretty useless TLA to me, but sounds so much more scientific than "fatigue."

Scott "Red" Ruffensore

"Scott Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> SwStudio wrote:

> >>Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh
> >

> > Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a result of microscopic tearing (and also swelling, to a
> > lesser extent) of muscle fibers.
> >
> > It's strange that a doctor wouldn't have come across this term before! Especially a doctor that
> > runs regularly.
> >

> > cheers,
>
> Why? It seems like a pretty useless TLA to me, but sounds so much more scientific than "fatigue."
>
> Scott "Red" Ruffensore

Scott, my comments that I found it suprising that a doctor would not have come across the term
"DOMS" was not meant to be a way of saying, "I think DOMS is really important, 'need-to-know'
phenomenon, and I think everyone should know about it".

I could care less if it's important, real, fake, or some-thing in between. I merely was suprised
that someone in his profession (and a long-time runner) hadn't come across it before. I see the term
all the time.

I see the National Enquirer every week at the supermarket checkout counter - but if you had never
heard of that doesn't mean I believe the news written within, when I not my suprise at you not
having come across it before.

cheers,.
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

> For me DOMS generally kicks in hard after around 40 hours.

For me, its been approximately my age in years as hours. It takes longer as get older.

SwStudio wrote:
> Scott, my comments that I found it suprising that a doctor would not have come across the term
> "DOMS" was not meant to be a way of saying, "I think DOMS is really important, 'need-to-know'
> phenomenon, and I think everyone should know about it".

David,

I find your posts enjoyable and informative. I didn't put a smiley 'cause I gave myself a silly
moniker at the end. I'm not really going to get wound up over an acronym.

I use TLAs when I can't spell the real thing (e.g., VMO), but I get really tired of learning new
ones. I already know DOM as Document Object Model, but what the hey.

Peace and good running to you.

Scott

SwStudio wrote:

> > Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh
>
> Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a result of microscopic tearing (and also swelling, to a
> lesser extent) of muscle fibers.
>
> It's strange that a doctor wouldn't have come across this term before!

I know, surprising, but that's why I had to ask. -- josh