A tailwind out flatters pace and drains reserves before the headwind home arrives. The pace display can make the first half look like a bargain, but spending effort to hold that speed seems like a way to make the return harder. I would rather let the speed go than turn a helpful wind into a target. The useful decision is setting the effort before the easy-feeling stretch starts, not trying to win the first half and sorting it out later.
How do you stop the tailwind leg from setting an unrealistic pace for the headwind home: choose a deliberate effort ceiling, or just ride by feel and accept the slower pace?
I’d set a deliberate effort ceiling, ideally with power, and let the speed vary. A tailwind can make the same effort look like a bargain on the screen; a headwind can make it look like you’re crawling. Hold the effort, not the pace. If you haven’t got power, use feel as the guide and treat the pace display as background noise.
I’d cap it by feel and keep cadence turning; speed can sulk in the headwind. Cadence is my guardrail against mashing, not a power meter in disguise, so if I’m breathing hard in the tailwind, I ease off even if the legs are spinning happily.
That breathing check is the useful part. Cadence can stay smooth while the load climbs, so it’s no effort ceiling on its own. Use it to avoid grinding, but let breathing tell you when the tailwind is tempting you to push too hard.
Breathing is a check, not a limiter. On a short tailwind stretch it can lag the surge, so I’d decide the effort before the speed starts looking free and use breathing to catch a drift, not wait until it’s obviously hard.