Donate to send Recycle-A-Bicycle to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott Gordo, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    There's a great program called Recycle-A-Bicycle, an independent
    organization dedicated to youth development, environmental education,
    recycling and bicycle transportation in New York City.
    A local New Orleans non-profit bicycle project, Plan B, received
    donations of over 600 used bicycles for residents adversely affected by
    the hurricane. Plan B is a community-run bike project that functions as
    an open workspace for bicycle repair as well as a bike shop that sells
    recycled bicycles. Its building remained intact, and volunteers are
    struggling to refurbish the large volume of donated bikes to put back
    on the street as quickly as possible. The majority of these bicycles
    are not in working order and require an average of 2 hours/bike to make
    them safe. As bikes are completed, they are offered to the people of
    New Orleans for a nominal fee of $15.
    NY Recycle-A-Bicycle mechanics are taking time off from work, and
    donating their time to help Plan B meet its mission. We estimate that
    each mechanic will repair at least 5 bikes per day. If we raise enough
    money to send 10 mechanics, we will be able to repair 350 bicycles for
    the people of New Orleans. The cost of sending each mechanic to New
    Orleans is $500 for travel and food. We hope to raise $25/bike to cover
    the cost of repair materials. This sets our total budget at $13,750.
    Please help the New Orleans Bike Build Project reach this goal with a
    non-profit donation through the Internet or by mail at the address
    noted below. Your support is tax-deductible.
    Please donate through the Network for Good:
    http://partners.guidestar.org/contr...eport=1&partner=networkforgood&ein=11-3422028

    Tags:

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:
    > There's a great program called Recycle-A-Bicycle, an independent
    > organization dedicated to youth development, environmental education,
    > recycling and bicycle transportation in New York City.
    > A local New Orleans non-profit bicycle project, Plan B, received
    > donations of over 600 used bicycles for residents adversely affected by
    > the hurricane. Plan B is a community-run bike project that functions as
    > an open workspace for bicycle repair as well as a bike shop that sells
    > recycled bicycles. Its building remained intact, and volunteers are
    > struggling to refurbish the large volume of donated bikes to put back
    > on the street as quickly as possible. The majority of these bicycles
    > are not in working order and require an average of 2 hours/bike to make
    > them safe. As bikes are completed, they are offered to the people of
    > New Orleans for a nominal fee of $15.
    > NY Recycle-A-Bicycle mechanics are taking time off from work, and
    > donating their time to help Plan B meet its mission. We estimate that
    > each mechanic will repair at least 5 bikes per day. If we raise enough
    > money to send 10 mechanics, we will be able to repair 350 bicycles for
    > the people of New Orleans. The cost of sending each mechanic to New
    > Orleans is $500 for travel and food. We hope to raise $25/bike to cover
    > the cost of repair materials. This sets our total budget at $13,750.
    > Please help the New Orleans Bike Build Project reach this goal with a
    > non-profit donation through the Internet or by mail at the address
    > noted below. Your support is tax-deductible.
    > Please donate through the Network for Good:
    > http://partners.guidestar.org/contr...eport=1&partner=networkforgood&ein=11-3422028

    Why just New Orleans? Why not all over this Big-Mac gobbling pigsty?

    JD

  3. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    > Scott Gordo wrote:
    >> There's a great program called Recycle-A-Bicycle, an independent
    >> organization dedicated to youth development, environmental education,
    >> recycling and bicycle transportation in New York City.
    >> A local New Orleans non-profit bicycle project, Plan B, received
    >> donations of over 600 used bicycles for residents adversely affected by
    >> the hurricane. Plan B is a community-run bike project that functions as
    >> an open workspace for bicycle repair as well as a bike shop that sells
    >> recycled bicycles. Its building remained intact, and volunteers are
    >> struggling to refurbish the large volume of donated bikes to put back
    >> on the street as quickly as possible. The majority of these bicycles
    >> are not in working order and require an average of 2 hours/bike to make
    >> them safe. As bikes are completed, they are offered to the people of
    >> New Orleans for a nominal fee of $15.
    >> NY Recycle-A-Bicycle mechanics are taking time off from work, and
    >> donating their time to help Plan B meet its mission. We estimate that
    >> each mechanic will repair at least 5 bikes per day. If we raise enough
    >> money to send 10 mechanics, we will be able to repair 350 bicycles for
    >> the people of New Orleans. The cost of sending each mechanic to New
    >> Orleans is $500 for travel and food. We hope to raise $25/bike to cover
    >> the cost of repair materials. This sets our total budget at $13,750.
    >> Please help the New Orleans Bike Build Project reach this goal with a
    >> non-profit donation through the Internet or by mail at the address
    >> noted below. Your support is tax-deductible.
    >> Please donate through the Network for Good:
    >> http://partners.guidestar.org/contr...eport=1&partner=networkforgood&ein=11-3422028

    > Why just New Orleans? Why not all over this Big-Mac gobbling pigsty?
    >
    > JD

    New Orleans might actually be a safe place to cycle, now that all the
    criminals have been dispersed to other locales.

  4. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Scott Gordo wrote:
    > > There's a great program called Recycle-A-Bicycle, an independent
    > > organization dedicated to youth development, environmental education,
    > > recycling and bicycle transportation in New York City.
    > > A local New Orleans non-profit bicycle project, Plan B, received
    > > donations of over 600 used bicycles for residents adversely affected by
    > > the hurricane. Plan B is a community-run bike project that functions as
    > > an open workspace for bicycle repair as well as a bike shop that sells
    > > recycled bicycles. Its building remained intact, and volunteers are
    > > struggling to refurbish the large volume of donated bikes to put back
    > > on the street as quickly as possible. The majority of these bicycles
    > > are not in working order and require an average of 2 hours/bike to make
    > > them safe. As bikes are completed, they are offered to the people of
    > > New Orleans for a nominal fee of $15.
    > > NY Recycle-A-Bicycle mechanics are taking time off from work, and
    > > donating their time to help Plan B meet its mission. We estimate that
    > > each mechanic will repair at least 5 bikes per day. If we raise enough
    > > money to send 10 mechanics, we will be able to repair 350 bicycles for
    > > the people of New Orleans. The cost of sending each mechanic to New
    > > Orleans is $500 for travel and food. We hope to raise $25/bike to cover
    > > the cost of repair materials. This sets our total budget at $13,750.
    > > Please help the New Orleans Bike Build Project reach this goal with a
    > > non-profit donation through the Internet or by mail at the address
    > > noted below. Your support is tax-deductible.
    > > Please donate through the Network for Good:
    > > http://partners.guidestar.org/contr...eport=1&partner=networkforgood&ein=11-3422028

    > Why just New Orleans? Why not all over this Big-Mac gobbling pigsty?
    >
    > JD

    One Big-Mac gobbling pigsty at a time....

    /s

  5. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Scott Gordo wrote:
    > > There's a great program called Recycle-A-Bicycle, an independent
    > > organization dedicated to youth development, environmental education,
    > > recycling and bicycle transportation in New York City.
    > > A local New Orleans non-profit bicycle project, Plan B, received
    > > donations of over 600 used bicycles for residents adversely affected by
    > > the hurricane. Plan B is a community-run bike project that functions as
    > > an open workspace for bicycle repair as well as a bike shop that sells
    > > recycled bicycles. Its building remained intact, and volunteers are
    > > struggling to refurbish the large volume of donated bikes to put back
    > > on the street as quickly as possible. The majority of these bicycles
    > > are not in working order and require an average of 2 hours/bike to make
    > > them safe. As bikes are completed, they are offered to the people of
    > > New Orleans for a nominal fee of $15.
    > > NY Recycle-A-Bicycle mechanics are taking time off from work, and
    > > donating their time to help Plan B meet its mission. We estimate that
    > > each mechanic will repair at least 5 bikes per day. If we raise enough
    > > money to send 10 mechanics, we will be able to repair 350 bicycles for
    > > the people of New Orleans. The cost of sending each mechanic to New
    > > Orleans is $500 for travel and food. We hope to raise $25/bike to cover
    > > the cost of repair materials. This sets our total budget at $13,750.
    > > Please help the New Orleans Bike Build Project reach this goal with a
    > > non-profit donation through the Internet or by mail at the address
    > > noted below. Your support is tax-deductible.
    > > Please donate through the Network for Good:
    > > http://partners.guidestar.org/contr...eport=1&partner=networkforgood&ein=11-3422028

    > Why just New Orleans? Why not all over this Big-Mac gobbling pigsty?
    >
    > JD

    Forgot to add:
    http://www.phonelosers.org/pranks_mcdonalds_sign.html

    /s