Donations in memory of rider killed in Race Across America

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    From http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/days2003/day4.htm

    Visitation: Thursday June 26, 2003 from 1:00 PM - 8:00 PM Lynch & Sons Funeral Home 1368 Crooks
    Road, Clawson, MI 48017-1048
    (248) 435-0660

    In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to the following:

    To support efforts to help women, children and educational causes in the Greater Detroit area,
    please send donations to:

    The Marilyn Scheid Malin Foundation

    40 Hague Detroit, MI 48202

    To support efforts for bicycle safety and the creation of a memorial ride in Brett's honor, please
    send donations to: Brett Malin Memorial Fund First Bank 11 West Beaver Creek Rd. Avon, CO 81620
    (249) 949-0100

    Tags:

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Gee, they're dying like flies out there.

    It's not so bad that they can't ask for money though.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >From http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/days2003/day4.htm

    " ...was struck and killed by an 18-wheel tractor trailer rig coming from the opposite direction on
    a two-way highway (U.S.60) at around 2:30AM E.S.T.

    It appears the truck driver tried to avoid Brett as the collision occurred along the shoulder of the
    west bound lane."

    Not to be morbid, but can anybody clarify how the collision occurred?

    Reading the quote above, it seems like either the rider or the tractor-trailer would have been in
    the wrong lane.

    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:22:23 GMT, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gee, they're dying like flies out there.
    >
    >It's not so bad that they can't ask for money though.
    >--
    >Ron Hardin [email protected]
    >
    >On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now we all know, and for sure this time......

    Jerk.

  5. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    GregR wrote:
    > >Gee, they're dying like flies out there.
    > >
    > >It's not so bad that they can't ask for money though.
    > >--
    > >Ron Hardin [email protected]
    > >
    > >On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now we all know, and for sure this time......
    >
    > Jerk.

    Dying in a bicycle crash is not much of a connection, you know. Say somebody dies in a car crash. Do
    you drive a car? Yes, I thought so. Does it make sense for you to feel sad? To send money? No.

    No, but there's no pretense of them representing you either. That's what's involved here - these
    guys are just so special to themselves that people will want to send them money. After all
    bicyclists all look up to the bicycle activists, right?

    That's a political activist genre or something; they're a pain in the butt when they're around. A
    regular guy can just ride his bike to work every day and never be bothered by them if he's lucky,
    and probably put more miles on than they do too.

    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  6. C. Eastman

    C. Eastman Guest

    A little more info from Velonews.com

    http://www.velonews.com/race/dom/articles/4124.0.html

    Though the road was relatively quiet on Tuesday night, Malin attempted the maneuver on one side of a
    small rise in the road. As the rider moved off the shoulder and onto the road, the truck suddenly
    appeared over the hill and into Malin's field of view.

    Malin's father and brother reported that he and the driver of the truck tried to avoid each other
    but, instead, turned in the same direction. Malin was struck and then pinned between the truck's
    rear wheels and a guard rail. A Catron County Sheriff's spokesperson said Malin's injuries were
    catastrophic and that he was probably killed instantly. "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > RE/
    > >From http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/days2003/day4.htm
    >
    > " ...was struck and killed by an 18-wheel tractor trailer rig coming from
    the
    > opposite direction on a two-way highway (U.S.60) at around 2:30AM E.S.T.
    >
    > It appears the truck driver tried to avoid Brett as the collision occurred
    along
    > the shoulder of the west bound lane."
    >

    > Not to be morbid, but can anybody clarify how the collision occurred?
    >
    > Reading the quote above, it seems like either the rider or the
    tractor-trailer
    > would have been in the wrong lane.
    >

    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

  7. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > GregR wrote:
    > > >Gee, they're dying like flies out there.
    > > >
    > > >It's not so bad that they can't ask for money though.
    > > >--
    > > >Ron Hardin [email protected]
    > > >
    > > >On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
    > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now we all know, and for sure this time......
    > >
    > > Jerk.

    > Dying in a bicycle crash is not much of a connection, you know. Say somebody dies in a car crash.
    > Do you drive a car? Yes, I thought so. Does it make sense for you to feel sad? To send money? No.

    Race car driver, maybe.

    Bicyclist involved in RAAM, maybe.

    Joe Blow killed in a car crash, no. Joe Blow killed on a bike, no.

    Dashii

  8. x

    x Guest

  9. Just think, Ron, if you had not posted this, nobody would have known _YOU_ are a jerk.

    Lewis.

    Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Gee, they're dying like flies out there.
    >
    > It's not so bad that they can't ask for money though.

    >Ron Hardin [email protected]

    >On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  11. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "C. Eastman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Though the road was relatively quiet on Tuesday night, Malin attempted the maneuver on one side of
    > a small rise in the road. As the rider moved off the shoulder and onto the road, the truck
    > suddenly appeared over the hill and into Malin's field of view.
    >
    > Malin's father and brother reported that he and the driver of the truck tried to avoid each other
    > but, instead, turned in the same direction. Malin was struck and then pinned between the truck's
    > rear wheels and a guard rail. A Catron County Sheriff's spokesperson said Malin's injuries were
    > catastrophic and that he was probably killed instantly. "

    God, how horrible. Horrible for Malin, horrible for the driver of the truck, horrible for Malin's
    father and brother who had to wtness such a nightmare. Words fail to express...

  12. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >Dying in a bicycle crash is not much of a connection, you know. Say somebody dies in a car crash.
    >Do you drive a car? Yes, I thought so. Does it make sense for you to feel sad? To send money? No.

    Of the adult population, what % drive cars? 95%? What % ride bikes seriously, like those of us in
    this group. 1%? 0.5%? A bit of a difference I'd say. Serious bikers are part of a larger club that
    is more meaningful than driving. If someone feels moved to donate, wonderful. Why did so many people
    feel moved to donate after 9/11? What was so special about a bunch of people in an office building?
    Millions do that.

    I don't like the tenor of your notes.

    Doug

  13. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > difference I'd say. Serious bikers are part of a larger club that is more meaningful than driving.

    Well, am I a serious biker? Yet I am not part of a larger club. Try riding without the
    politics sometime.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  14. On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:40:56 -0500, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

    >God, how horrible. Horrible for Malin, horrible for the driver of the truck, horrible for Malin's
    >father and brother who had to wtness such a nightmare. Words fail to express...

    Absolutely, except for Malin. The stupid git brought it on himself, and was the *cause* of the rest
    of the horribleness.

    Jasper

  15. > Well, am I a serious biker? Yet I am not part of a larger club. Try riding without the politics
    > sometime.

    If *you* were interpreted in riding without the politics you wouldn't have responded to the post.

  16. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    > > Well, am I a serious biker? Yet I am not part of a larger club. Try riding without the politics
    > > sometime.
    >
    > If *you* were interpreted in riding without the politics you wouldn't have responded to the post.

    Must be ``interested.'' No, it's an anti-busybody instinct. The real bike riders are not the
    admiring audience that the bike activists expect. RBR's are just schlubs riding their bikes to work
    and have the usual range and non-overlap of interests that the population has.

    If you like listening to and identifying birds as you ride, it's assumed that you must be an
    environmentalist, and somebody tries to speak for you. No, wrong. That's how politics comes in and
    has to be stamped out.

    If you ride a bike, it's assumed that you're watching what you never have heard of, some race across
    America. News flash: no. Strangers remain strangers; life goes on in the way it always goes on. You
    deal with your own neighborhood, which is where real life is.

    Real life is like real bike riding: local. Race across America: all fraud and fakery.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  17. > The stupid git brought it on himself

    Hey, lighten up. The guy had been riding hard, grabbing sleep in moving vehicles, on top of which he
    likely sprinted into the changeover and went into oxygen debt. When you do that stuff your judgement
    may not be 100%. This is not like the young guys I see daily on the freeway driving like reckless
    idiots, just a moment's inattention and some seriously bad luck. Could happen to any of us.

  18. mapsno2

    mapsno2 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Originally posted by Ron Hardin:
    > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >
    > > Well, am I a serious biker? Yet I am not part of a larger club. > > Try riding without the politics
    > > sometime.
    >
    > If *you* were interpreted in riding without the politics you
    > wouldn't have responded to the post.

    > Must be ``interested.'' No, it's an anti-busybody instinct. The

    ...which makes you a busy-anti-body...hmm... busybody-anti...
    no busy-anti-busybody,... busybody-anti-busybody???

    CLB

  19. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:56:35 GMT, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >GregR wrote:
    >> >Gee, they're dying like flies out there.
    >> >
    >> >It's not so bad that they can't ask for money though.
    >> >--
    >> >Ron Hardin [email protected]
    >> >
    >> >On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now we all know, and for sure this time......
    >>
    >> Jerk.

    >Dying in a bicycle crash is not much of a connection, you know. Say somebody dies in a car crash.
    >Do you drive a car? Yes, I thought so. Does it make sense for you to feel sad? To send money? No.
    >
    >No, but there's no pretense of them representing you either. That's what's involved here - these
    >guys are just so special to themselves that people will want to send them money. After all
    >bicyclists all look up to the bicycle activists, right?
    >
    >That's a political activist genre or something; they're a pain in the butt when they're around. A
    >regular guy can just ride his bike to work every day and never be bothered by them if he's lucky,
    >and probably put more miles on than they do too.

    Unfortunatley, my response was to your quote and how you are a Jerk for belitteling the tragedy. Too
    add insult to injury, the initial requst was not to "ask" for money, but for those who would have
    sent flowers etc for the funeral, rather to send a chairitable donation to in lieu of flowers as
    condolence.

    Yet you continue to spew bullshit about how annoying it is for you to have to see a post for this
    request to hide your own stupidity for responding in the first place.

    Respond to that...Jerk.

  20. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    GregR wrote:
    > Unfortunatley, my response was to your quote and how you are a Jerk for belitteling the tragedy.

    News flash: 100,000 people die every day.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]