Donations to MUC

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by harper, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. harper

    harper Guest

    I have looked through Tommy Thompson's 'Memphis Unicycling Club'
    (http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com/ie/main.shtml) site but have been
    unable to find a place to make a cash donation directly. MUC will be
    hosting NAUCC 2006 and will probably need some extra funds. Could
    someone point me to the donation link or could Tommy please provide one
    and post it here? Thanks, and thanks for hosting NAUCC 2006.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  2. harper

    harper Guest

    This got alot of action. Where's Tommy when you need him, riding?

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  3. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

  4. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    I wasn’t ignoring you, Greg. I was trying to communicate with others as
    to what is the best way to handle donations for the NAUCC. I am so
    excited to know that others are as committed to the success of this
    year's NAUCC as we are here in Memphis.

    The Memphis Unicycle Club will gladly accept any donations and ear-mark
    any monies donated toward the presentation of the NAUCC. However, the
    Memphis Unicycle Club does not have non-profit status and donations to
    the MUC can not be deducted from income taxes. However, the Unicycling
    Society of America is a non-profit.

    If the IRS tax deduction is not a driving force, I encourage those
    interested in making a donation to donate directly to the MUC and
    making the check / money order payable to: MUC – NAUCC 2006. If the
    IRS deduction is important then I suggest making a donation to the USA
    and indicating that the donation be directed to the presentation of the
    NAUCC 2006.

    Mailing addresses are:

    Memphis Unicycle Club
    1616 Eastmoreland
    Memphis Tennessee 38104

    Unicycling Society of America, Inc.
    P.O. Box 790
    North Bend, WA 98045
    United States of America

    Any financial help will be greatly appreciated and noted in programs
    and brochures at the NAUCC.

    Thanks for bringing this up, Greg!

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar

    Tommy Thompson
    -NAUCC, June 30 - July 5, 2006-
    [email protected]
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  5. tadaniels

    tadaniels Guest

    Tommy,

    To my knowledge, donations to the Unicycling Society of Ameria, Inc.
    aren't currently tax deductible, either. The organization did not have
    the required 501(c)(3) status from the IRS when I was President.

    Tom

    --
    tadaniels
    tadaniels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/352

  6. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    Thanks for the clarification, Tom. I was thinking after my post that I
    should have noted a disclaimer. I know nothing about taxes or tax
    deductions. As they say at the end of all of those financial ads, seek
    professional advice from a trusted advisor.

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar

    Tommy Thompson
    -NAUCC, June 30 - July 5, 2006-
    [email protected]
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  7. bugman

    bugman Guest

    tadaniels wrote:
    > Tommy,
    >
    > To my knowledge, donations to the Unicycling Society of Ameria, Inc.
    > aren't currently tax deductible, either. The organization did not have
    > the required 501(c)(3) status from the IRS when I was President.
    >

    > Tom

    This was discussed at length at NAUCC 2005 and Tom is correct. This is
    something that is in the works though, how far or if it has been
    started is unclear. 501(c)(3) status would be great to offset rising
    costs of opperating USA. I would love to make donations as oppossed to
    paying higher dues. I'm going to donate to something, so why not to an
    organization that supports us?

    --
    bugman

    It's tough for an atheist when he feels grateful and has noone to thank.

  8. harper

    harper Guest

    Any way to get an easy PayPal donation set up? It sure makes things
    smoother and spontaneous. I would think this would be desirable for
    you. I know how much you adhere to the American ideal of instant
    gratification through financial over-extension. Just a thought. People
    respond to easy.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  9. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    There is a PayPal account that has been set up to allow folks to easily
    purchase the t-shirts, hats and bumper stickers that we use to support
    our grassroots, youth and community development program.

    To make a PayPal donation to the MUC simply send any donation to:
    [email protected]

    Of course, any donation can be ear-marked for a special use within our
    club, presentation of the NAUCC or toward one of our many community
    out-reach projects involving kids and unicycles.

    Greg, thanks you for bringing this idea of supporting our club to our
    uni-community's attention. To read our vision-mission statement please
    visit the MUC's website at: www.memphisunicycleclub.com.

    Warmly,
    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar

    Tommy Thompson
    -NAUCC, June 30 - July 5, 2006-
    [email protected]
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  10. harper

    harper Guest

    Good. The PayPal plan is convenient for most. Thanks for hosting this
    big event. If I make it I want to judge over 50 year old trials so I
    can kick your sissy tush even if I have to shave points from you.

    Donate to these folks. They need money and they need your time as a
    volunteer.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  11. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

    Definitely a good cause! Thanks Greg for taking an initiative and
    bringing it to everyone's attention.

    From my perspective, MUC has a huge start on what will be the best
    NAUCC ever. Lots of MUni, lots of freestyle, lots of racing, lots of
    hanging out with unicyclists that share your same interests! If you
    live in North America, you just can't miss this event. I hope to see
    you all there.

    --
    Gilby
    Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

  12. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    Hey Greg,

    Bring it on in the trials department! You and Steve were my
    inspiration at NAUCC 2003! Since then I’ve been watching you from
    afar, noting every post and picture posted, emulating your pedal grab
    (Remember your post two years ago from your trip to the playground in
    East Tennessee?). Quietly, I’ve been training for this opportunity
    avenge the feeling of watching you ride and play on the trials course
    on that beautiful Minneapolis afternoon – while I watched, too
    freaked-out to even try to ride my, then state of the art, brand new
    Summit.

    Are we going to resurrect our Team Geezer for basketball? My
    basketball skills have not improved – at all. I’m afraid that I’m
    still going to be the weak link on team.

    How about a Team Geezer hockey team? I’m going to be building a hockey
    arena just for the NAUCC. I’m even worse at hockey.

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar

    Tommy Thompson
    -NAUCC, June 30 - July 5, 2006-
    [email protected]
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  13. harper

    harper Guest

    Team Geezer Rules. We can't remember the score or what team we're on. We
    randomly leave the court because we forget why we're out there and
    think we're in the way of the other riders. Sponsored by Geritol since
    1902, I can't remember the last time we even lost a game...or
    practiced. Who else is on that team? I can't remember.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  14. harper

    harper Guest

    Donating time or cash to MUC for NAUCC 2006 will be helpful to the club
    and to Tommy. Tommy has put alot of energy into forming this club and
    keeping it funded. Let's help him put on a great nationals this year.
    And you can visit Graceland, a special shrine in so many ways. I wonder
    if you can sit on the throne.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  15. dogzilla

    dogzilla Guest

    Not just Graceland. You can visit Sun Studios, or for the in-depth
    music afficianado, there's the STAX museum. Very nice.

    Rules for unicyclists visiting Memphis:

    No rail grinds on the fence around Elvis's grave. (The man is buried
    in his back yard like a pet hamster, y'all.) It makes the Reverent
    Souls gathered there become violent.

    Only the ducks are allowed to play in the big fountain in the Peabody
    Hotel Lobby. No Trials inside the Peabody.

    The huge and bewildering 'mountain' sculpture in Mid-America mall? You
    can ride on that, but only if you don't get seen by authority figures.
    Even then, it's okay sometimes. Ask the skateboarders where it is,
    they'll show you.

    Mid-America Mall has no motor traffic. Perfect for unicycling and
    stuff. The Trolleys, however, can sneak up on you. Don't turn your
    back on them. The drivers must get awfully bored going in circles, and
    unicycles must be very tempting.

    Mud Island (As seen in the Tom Cruise film 'The Firm') is not a made-up
    place. It's real, and it's neat to uni on the scale model of the
    Mississippi river ("Look, I can jump from Mississippi to Louisiana!
    Bam!") Don't make fun of the name. We already know it's a goofy
    name.

    The 'Dancing Water' fountain on Main Street. Wonderful way to clear the
    sinuses. Ride on in. Take your cell phone out of your pocket first.

    Everyone from the Smokeys or the Rockies... Don't pooh-pooh our
    mountain bike trails. We're in a mighty river delta here, and that's
    the best we got. They're fun, you just gotta work what's there.

    And finally, three big cheers to Tommy Thompson. He's working his #@$
    off for all of us to enjoy this NAUCC. Good man. You'll see what he's
    done when you get here, but some of us see what he's going through to
    get it ready for you.

    --
    dogzilla

    Dogzilla, Ex-Kayote.

    Pretty unicycle drawrings on shirts and things:
    http://www.cafepress.com/unicycles
    dogzilla's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11191

  16. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    This is going to be fun for everybody - but especially for me!

    I can't wait to see all my uni-buddies here and reunite team Geezer. I
    look forward to the rematch with the Puerto Ricans in basketball. If I
    remember correctly, the Puerto Rican basketball team played with us
    like the Harlem Globetrotters abused "team X." We Geezers shall be
    redeemed!

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar

    Tommy Thompson
    -NAUCC, June 30 - July 5, 2006-
    [email protected]
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  17. harper

    harper Guest

    Tmornstar wrote:
    > This is going to be fun for everybody - but especially for me!
    >
    > I can't wait to see all my uni-buddies here and reunite team Geezer. I
    > look forward to the rematch with the Puerto Ricans in basketball. If I
    > remember correctly, the Puerto Rican basketball team played with us
    > like the Harlem Globetrotters abused "team X." We Geezers shall be
    > redeemed!
    >
    > Tommy

    Who is Team Geezer? What does this mean? It's all very confusing.

    All those interested can now make donations to MUC easily through
    PayPal. They will also be interested in your time that you are willing
    to donate during the meet. If there is something you would like to do
    to help organize, let them know as soon as possible. Your time is
    perhaps worth more than money for an event such as this.

    Unicyclers are the best at pulling stuff like this off. Shine, unicycle
    community.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  18. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    The planning committees are busily putting the pieces of this
    world-class event together. We had a meeting recently that gave us
    many new ideas. This thing is going to be huge and hugely fun! I lie
    awake dreaming of the hockey rink that I’m going to be building just
    for this event.

    See you in Memphis!

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar

    Tommy Thompson
    -NAUCC, June 30 - July 5, 2006-
    [email protected]
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  19. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

    Tmornstar wrote:
    > I can't wait to see all my uni-buddies here and reunite team Geezer.

    We need some Teem Geezer T-Shirts! I'm several more years geezered than
    last time.

    --
    UniBrier

    Steve

    Hop Drop & Roll

    “If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
    stick that guitar in the closet next to your
    shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
    inside and watch TV.” – Homer
    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  20. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest