Don't cha' just hate it when...

Dave W

Guest
your bike develops a "glitch" while you're going over it the night before a big ride. Well, tonight
was just such a night for me. After getting all the nesessities together, you know, things like
tubes (2), patch kit, multi tool w/ built in chain tool,spoke tool, extra power link, tire levers,
etc...(which, by the way fits neatly in a liter Crown Royal bag!) Bag full of Imperial Storm Trooper
gear...blah, blah, blah..you get the idea/

Any how, I had washed the bike earlier today, getting it all spiffy and lubed up properly, when I
notice a slight rub in the rear when spinning the wheel. Hmmm, brake pad scrub. Best do a little
adjusting. So I'm trying to diagnose the problem when I notice the tension adjustment screw on the
right side of the brake has a little play in it where it screws into the

slips right out of the cam!! "Not good" says I, considering it's 19:15, and the LBS closed 15 mins
ago. Hell they'd probably be hard pressed to come up with a single cam anyway (anybody know where I
can get them?)on short notice. Damn, I'm screwed! Gotta hit the bricks at 0700 in order to be at the
Thomson factory by 1000! This sux!

You'd think the gods have had their laugh by now, but no. Turns out the #6 screw itself was fine,
threads still straight and intact. it couldn't be a quick fix, nothing as easy as a quick ride to
Wally-world to p/u another screw, no my friends, the cam itself was stripped. I'm assuming there was
just to much tension on the return spring and the little cam couldn't hold it any longer. Either
way, I'm boned. And no tap & die set to be found! (Hell I'd of settled for a 9/64 thread chaser or
"ease-out")

So as I'm sitting there, wondering which way to turn, my 7 y.o (who's totally immersed in my tool
box :) says "hey dad, why don't you squirt some of this glue looking stuff on it?" "wha..?" It was
the good ol' red tube Of Permatex Thread lock! " Hey, you may be onto something there boy" So I
scrounged up a #8 self drilling screw, loaded that sucker up with the red goop, and proceeded to
drill that puppy into the soft metaled cam. Damn, this actually might work! I place the pin of the
cam into the stay on the frame quickly, then I ran the #8 in to where I thought it would live,
(because after it set, that's where it was going to be sitting!) I let it dry for a few while I
enjoyed a frosty beverage (Grolsch Amber Ale if anybody was wondering). Then I hooked up the cable,
got it set right, and walla! It held. Woo Hoo! Unfortunatly any adjustments after this installation
will have to be made from the left side, but Avids are pretty easy to dial in, so I shoud be o.k. My
son had already gone to bed at this point, so I couldn't congratulate him properly :( But I'll hook
him up as soon as I get back from the ride!! (Sounds like a little Dairy Queen is in order!)

So, here's to last minute snaffu's that help keep us on our toes!

Peace,

Dave (Tips the glass toward ya'!)

P.S. I intend to snap some photos at Thomson tommorrow if anyones interested. I'll post em' as soon
as I can. I especially want to see the "other post manufacturers" products destruction. Should
be interesting.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 04:50:56 -0000, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

>your bike develops a "glitch" while you're going over it the night before a big ride.

Never happens with my SS.

[snip]

Have fun, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all
and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 04:50:56 -0000, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>your bike develops a "glitch" while you're going over it the night before a big ride.
>
> Never happens with my SS.
>
> [snip]

oh, c'mon. Are you expecting us to belive that you ride an SS with no brakes? If so you truly are
a bad ass!

If you rode where I did today. you'd damn well better have em, or you'd a been deAD :)

Dave ( RIDE REPORT AND HOPEFULLY DECENT PICS TO FOLLOW!)

> Have fun, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all
> and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

>oh, c'mon. Are you expecting us to belive that you ride an SS with no brakes? If so you truly are
>a bad ass!

I have two brakes a front and a back. I'm not a bad ass

>If you rode where I did today. you'd damn well better have em, or you'd a been deAD :)

If I rode where you ride I'd want to be dead.

>Dave ( RIDE REPORT AND HOPEFULLY DECENT PICS TO FOLLOW!)

Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

>>oh, c'mon. Are you expecting us to belive that you ride an SS with no brakes? If so you truly are
>>a bad ass!
>
> I have two brakes a front and a back. I'm not a bad ass

then what the hell does a brake problem have to do with a geared vs. ss
s/u. C'mon Bill. we expect so much from you. Perhaps too much eh?

Aww, damn. Why'd ya' have to go and be a **** then?

> Peace, Bill

Apparently not.

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> had this to say
> news:[email protected]
>

> >>oh, c'mon. Are you expecting us to belive that you ride an SS with no brakes? If so you truly
> >>are a bad ass!
> >
> > I have two brakes a front and a back. I'm not a bad ass
>
> then what the hell does a brake problem have to do with a geared vs. ss
> s/u. C'mon Bill. we expect so much from you. Perhaps too much eh?
> >

> >>If you rode where I did today. you'd damn well better have em, or you'd a been deAD :)
> >
> > If I rode where you ride I'd want to be dead.
>
> Aww, damn. Why'd ya' have to go and be a **** then?

It's teh 'kewlness' aura of teh S/S.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:20:25 -0000, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>If you rode where I did today. you'd damn well better have em, or you'd a been deAD :)
>>
>> If I rode where you ride I'd want to be dead.
>
>Aww, damn. Why'd ya' have to go and be a **** then?

It's part of me, I can't help myself.

Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:28:07 -0600, "Mojo Deluxe"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> > If I rode where you ride I'd want to be dead.
>>
>> Aww, damn. Why'd ya' have to go and be a **** then?
>>
>It's teh 'kewlness' aura of teh S/S.

Now Mojo...really. If I wanted to be kewl, why wouldn't I just get a Crack-N-Fail with one of those
"Lefty's"?

I ride an SS because it's a lifestyle choice and it's all I need. Most knuckle heads out there who
are trying to be kewl are just being bitten by the Hype machine that pushes these useless over built
geared pigs. They think they're being kewl by getting the latest and greatest **** they can find.

Anti-bob bs, more gears bs, light weight this light weight that, more suspensions.... These are all
just more things that can take away for the biking experience. Who needs them.

I was and am fed up with the BS that a lot of people in the bike industry are pushing, %90 of it is
****. I'm living proof. I bought into it just like most, but I realized that when it comes down to
it, it's really not the bike at all. It's a state of mind, simplicity, minimalism.

Peace, Bill

...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and on the trails
pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

> >> Aww, damn. Why'd ya' have to go and be a **** then?
> >>
> >It's teh 'kewlness' aura of teh S/S.
>
> Now Mojo...really. If I wanted to be kewl, why wouldn't I just get a Crack-N-Fail with one of
> those "Lefty's"?
>
> I ride an SS because it's a lifestyle choice and it's all I need. Most knuckle heads out there
> who are trying to be kewl are just being bitten by the Hype machine that pushes these useless
> over built geared pigs. They think they're being kewl by getting the latest and greatest ****
> they can find.
>
> Anti-bob bs, more gears bs, light weight this light weight that, more suspensions.... These are
> all just more things that can take away for the biking experience. Who needs them.
>
> I was and am fed up with the BS that a lot of people in the bike industry are pushing, %90 of it
> is ****. I'm living proof. I bought into it just like most, but I realized that when it comes down
> to it, it's really not the bike at all. It's a state of mind, simplicity, minimalism.

Why not own both, JD.....er, Bill?

My geared pig steel hardtail is done.

Up next, a 2004 Voodoo SS, if/when the frame is released.

The state of my mind will not be involved. Just the simplicity/lack of maintenance.

It'll be my 'beater' bike.

Over here in the UK we have Haynes manuals for cars which are based on a complete strip down and rebuild of each and every component.

It is a right of passage that you will get one when you get your first car.....and try to use it.

The principle I worked on was that if any instruction started with the word "Simply" then I knew to leave the job alone.

The other thing with mechanical maintenance is don't do it the day before you need it finished!

Haynes manuals usually say things like "This job will take 2 to 4 hours". They lie...cruelly.

I have sweated blood trying to fix bikes, cars and steam engines within a reasonable time frame. I always start the job two days before I need it.

Haynes have just branched out into sex manuals and they use the same terms and phraseology. I turned to the foreplay section and it said "This job will take...." closely followed by "Simply.....".

Sod that for a lark.