Don't eat

Piotr said:
So, in summary, we need to eat less before all those LSD rides that we must do to increase our "pure endurance" and to get ready for all the stage racing. :confused::rolleyes::):D
Sounds like it, and don't forget to maintain that precise 1/3 glycogen depletion as you train the following day, and the next, and the next...

Sounds like a hard protocol to get right and some serious implications in terms cumulative glycogen depletion during your weekly training cycle. But I suppose it's one way to understand the way a hard training hour after three to four hours of easier preloading ala Eddy seems to work well, that is if it doesn't fry ya.

I'll want to see this play out and see how it works for folks as part of an overall training plan before I start intentionally depleting my glycogen stores prior to training.

-Dave

No, I think you plan it so that you bonk immediately after the last 5-min interval separated by 1-min rests. BTW, how many of those are we supposed to do, and how hard? ;)

jojoma said:
So ride until you bonk, then train hard??
I recall Jonathon Vaughters saying that he used to train really hard for 4 to 5 hours, eating minimal amounts and then after the ride eat just as much you normally would eat on a normal day. The following day you'd go out hard for 2 to 3 hours - starting at a pace that you could maintain if you did eat properly but eating again a minimal amount. After 1 hour you'd be spend and left to grovel for the remaining 2.

Apparently it works pretty well...

Jono L said:
How suspect.:p
Gross! I swear you inner urban feltcher latte sipping gheybos have sick twisted minds.
tongue.gif

daveryanwyoming said:
Sounds like it, and don't forget to maintain that precise 1/3 glycogen depletion as you train the following day, and the next, and the next...

-Dave
This is exactly what I thought when I read that article. Maybe it's effective for one workout. But its effectiveness for several hard days of training, well.... Put it this way, I think we all have probably experienced what it's like to do several hard days and make the mistake of not getting enough carbs in the tank. You end up blowing up rather spectacularly. Ever sat on the side of the road watching cars drive by? Workout quality will definitely suffer(since you are sitting on the side of the road watching cars go by and not doing intervals):p This is supposed to lead to better fitness?

grahamspringett said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness.php?id=fitness/2009/glycogen_training

Interesting concept, perhaps tricky to get right. And totally against what we've all come to accept as the right way to fuel ourselves for training.
I find it kind of interesting because after reading and looking at how I train I seem to naturally want to do this. For example after a longer layoff I will never load up before base. Just ride on almost empty for 4 hours. I have no reason for this outside of the fact that it just was what I would do and it felt right for some reason. But when I'm in a intense build type phase then I was all about loading carbs (even after full rest days). Again for no reason other than it just seemed to feel right.

How scientific I am. lolz.

Just a point of interest. SAS troops specifically train for the ability to 'operate on empty' and obviously see utility in that in an operational sense. Now you number buffs can come up with a new aconym for 'hours trained at gluco depleted level'.

I have trained for a couple of years without eating before some of my rides. The theoretical purpose was to teach my body to more efficiently use fuel.
I generally do this on short intense rides.
Does it work? I think so. Am I fast? Hell no, but I still maintain that it made me better.

jhuskey said:
Does it work? I think so. Am I fast? Hell no, but I still maintain that it made me better.
Well sure, because glycogen signalling helps build mitochondria, which we all know only contribute during riding slowly during pure endurance events such as stage racing. :p

The reason for this is that improving your glycogen signalling increases your energy efficiency at slower speeds, when you are undergoing aerobic respiration and want as much fat-burning as possible. Racing shorter distances for an hour or less requires a faster speed, meaning that your body has to burn carbohydrate no matter what, so glycogen signalling is largely irrelevant.

But for longer distance events, particularly stage rides where you have to pedal day after day, this type of training can bring definite benefits. In essence, only pure endurance will get the full benefit.

Geoff Vadar said:
I find it kind of interesting because after reading and looking at how I train I seem to naturally want to do this. For example after a longer layoff I will never load up before base. Just ride on almost empty for 4 hours. I have no reason for this outside of the fact that it just was what I would do and it felt right for some reason. But when I'm in a intense build type phase then I was all about loading carbs (even after full rest days). Again for no reason other than it just seemed to feel right.

How scientific I am. lolz.

Just a point of interest. SAS troops specifically train for the ability to 'operate on empty' and obviously see utility in that in an operational sense. Now you number buffs can come up with a new aconym for 'hours trained at gluco depleted level'.
No need. HTFU has already been time tested. :)

Geoff Vadar said:
. Now you number buffs can come up with a new aconym for 'hours trained at gluco depleted level'.
Kate and Ashley Olsen High Protein Low Food Diet.
KAOHPLFD