Don't even think about stopping in a crash

nash

Guest
Most importantly, don't look into a crash as it happens -- instead
look for open space and get your bike through that space. You tend to
steer your bike where you look and if your concentration is on falling
riders, you're going to get caught up in their trouble. Too many
riders see a crash, stare at it, jam on their brakes and then ride
into the crash. Instead, as soon as a crash starts you want to try to
get around it as fast as possible. It's sometimes OK to touch your
brakes for a split second to give yourself some time to find a way
around, but at racing speeds you're rarely going to actually avoid a
crash by STOPPING. Instead just look for open space on either side of
the crash and go for it. You might even want to accelerate into the
open space before the crash spreads.J Forrester reader
faqhttp://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/index.html#ctI guess this
bums you out now Mark as with previous JF note.Do not waste my time. Stay
"in your own little world"It's safer for everyone with a life.

"nash" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Most importantly, don't look into a crash as it happens -- instead
>look for open space and get your bike through that space. You tend to
>steer your bike where you look and if your concentration is on falling
>riders, you're going to get caught up in their trouble. Too many
>riders see a crash, stare at it, jam on their brakes and then ride
>into the crash. Instead, as soon as a crash starts you want to try to
>get around it as fast as possible. It's sometimes OK to touch your
>brakes for a split second to give yourself some time to find a way
>around, but at racing speeds you're rarely going to actually avoid a
>crash by STOPPING. Instead just look for open space on either side of
>the crash and go for it. You might even want to accelerate into the
>open space before the crash spreads.J Forrester reader
>faqhttp://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/index.html#ctI guess this
>bums you out now Mark as with previous JF note.Do not waste my time. Stay
>"in your own little world"It's safer for everyone with a life.

More great advice, "nash". Don't think about reducing the speed of
impact. When that car starts turning across your path from your left,
just "go for it" instead of trying to slow down. Let us all know how
that works for you (when your arms are out of the casts, that is).

When you realize you're heading into that switchback too fast, I'm
sure you won't miss that front brake at all. Just hope someone
catches it on video - you'll have a chance at $10K (or your heirs
will).

If you've never been in a situation where your bacon was saved by
deceleration, then you've not been riding nearly long or fast enough
to be giving anyone advice.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

> "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Most importantly, don't look into a crash as it happens -- instead
>>look for open space and get your bike through that space. You tend to
>>steer your bike where you look and if your concentration is on falling
>>riders, you're going to get caught up in their trouble. Too many
>>riders see a crash, stare at it, jam on their brakes and then ride
>>into the crash. Instead, as soon as a crash starts you want to try to
>>get around it as fast as possible. It's sometimes OK to touch your
>>brakes for a split second to give yourself some time to find a way
>>around, but at racing speeds you're rarely going to actually avoid a
>>crash by STOPPING. Instead just look for open space on either side of
>>the crash and go for it. You might even want to accelerate into the
>>open space before the crash spreads.J Forrester reader
>>faqhttp://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/index.html#ctI guess this
>>bums you out now Mark as with previous JF note.Do not waste my time. Stay
>>"in your own little world"It's safer for everyone with a life.

> More great advice, "nash". Don't think about reducing the speed of
> impact. When that car starts turning across your path from your left,
> just "go for it" instead of trying to slow down. Let us all know how
> that works for you (when your arms are out of the casts, that is).
>
> When you realize you're heading into that switchback too fast, I'm
> sure you won't miss that front brake at all. Just hope someone
> catches it on video - you'll have a chance at $10K (or your heirs
> will).
>
> If you've never been in a situation where your bacon was saved by
> deceleration, then you've not been riding nearly long or fast enough
> to be giving anyone advice.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

That was a quote from John Forrester's group. I gave it as such. You
are always quarreling with me and I could careless what YOU think.
Not everybody rides their brains out like you obviously do and you cannot
tell me what is valuable to everyone else.
How come it is okay to be on his website but not this one?
You are one narrow minded redneck alright.

> "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Most importantly, don't look into a crash as it happens -- instead
>>look for open space and get your bike through that space. You tend to
>>steer your bike where you look and if your concentration is on falling
>>riders, you're going to get caught up in their trouble. Too many
>>riders see a crash, stare at it, jam on their brakes and then ride
>>into the crash. Instead, as soon as a crash starts you want to try to
>>get around it as fast as possible. It's sometimes OK to touch your
>>brakes for a split second to give yourself some time to find a way
>>around, but at racing speeds you're rarely going to actually avoid a
>>crash by STOPPING. Instead just look for open space on either side of
>>the crash and go for it. You might even want to accelerate into the
>>open space before the crash spreads.J Forrester reader
>>faqhttp://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/index.html#ctI guess this
>>bums you out now Mark as with previous JF note.Do not waste my time. Stay
>>"in your own little world"It's safer for everyone with a life.

> Don't think about reducing the speed of
> impact. When that car starts turning across your path from your left,
> just "go for it" instead of trying to slow down. Let us all know how
> that works for you (when your arms are out of the casts, that is).
>
> When you realize you're heading into that switchback too fast, I'm
> sure you won't miss that front brake at all. Just hope someone
> catches it on video - you'll have a chance at $10K (or your heirs
> will).
>
> If you've never been in a situation where your bacon was saved by
> deceleration, then you've not been riding nearly long or fast enough
> to be giving anyone advice.

No it is because I am too careful and do not have to depend on the front
brake since I look behind me all the time. If it did happen I would use
front and back. Always have and I am great. Not a scratch ever. If you are
riding with one hand on the right brake and someone cuts you off you want me
to put my left hand back and take the right hand off. what a winner you
are.
You are inviting mayhem when you speed. Bring it on yourself.
Anticipating and looking for the escape ie not braking is how to get out
unscathed. That is what kept this guy out of trouble. a racer in a group
no less!
I guess you think he knows nothing too.

You want to keep bringing up stuff that does not matter I suggest you talk
to a mirror.

then you've not been riding nearly long or fast enough
to be giving anyone advice.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I rode a bicycle across Canada. How many here have done that.
Has nothing to with speed. Which is my point entirely about aerobics and
health.
Speed kills banana brains. Racer I am not.
Been riding since I was 8.
never owned a car
had 3 licences though for various jobs
You know nothing about me or how I ride.
Wy dont you ti your frame round your neck

On Mar 11, 9:35 pm, "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Most importantly, don't look into a crash as it happens -- instead
> >>look for open space and get your bike through that space. You tend to
> >>steer your bike where you look and if your concentration is on falling
> >>riders, you're going to get caught up in their trouble. Too many
> >>riders see a crash, stare at it, jam on their brakes and then ride
> >>into the crash. Instead, as soon as a crash starts you want to try to
> >>get around it as fast as possible. It's sometimes OK to touch your
> >>brakes for a split second to give yourself some time to find a way
> >>around, but at racing speeds you're rarely going to actually avoid a
> >>crash by STOPPING. Instead just look for open space on either side of
> >>the crash and go for it. You might even want to accelerate into the
> >>open space before the crash spreads.J Forrester reader
> >>faqhttp://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/index.html#ctIguess this
> >>bums you out now Mark as with previous JF note.Do not waste my time. Stay
> >>"in your own little world"It's safer for everyone with a life.

> > More great advice, "nash". Don't think about reducing the speed of
> > impact. When that car starts turning across your path from your left,
> > just "go for it" instead of trying to slow down. Let us all know how
> > that works for you (when your arms are out of the casts, that is).

> > When you realize you're heading into that switchback too fast, I'm
> > sure you won't miss that front brake at all. Just hope someone
> > catches it on video - you'll have a chance at $10K (or your heirs
> > will).

> > If you've never been in a situation where your bacon was saved by
> > deceleration, then you've not been riding nearly long or fast enough
> > to be giving anyone advice.

> > Mark Hickey
> > Habanero Cycles
> >http://www.habcycles.com
> > Home of the $795 ti frame

> That was a quote from John Forrester's group. I gave it as such. You
> are always quarreling with me and I could careless what YOU think.
> Not everybody rides their brains out like you obviously do and you cannot
> tell me what is valuable to everyone else.
> How come it is okay to be on his website but not this one?
> You are one narrow minded redneck alright.- Hide quoted text -

In the interest of accuracy, the quote you misattribute to "John
Forrester's group" was actually written by John Forrest Tomlinson and
has nothing to do with John Forrester. Re-read the entire posting
there in the rec.bicycles.misc. FAQ (again, not John Forrester's
group) and you'll see JT is speaking specifically about *racing* and
avoiding crashed *bikes*. How racing tips square with your statement
downthread that "Speed kills banana brains" eludes me since the point
of racing is to not only go fast but to be the *fastest*. Wait, I get
it... top banana, right? :)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob wrote:

> In the interest of accuracy, the quote you misattribute to "John
> Forrester's group" was actually written by John Forrest Tomlinson and
> has nothing to do with John Forrester. Re-read the entire posting
> there in the rec.bicycles.misc. FAQ (again, not John Forrester's
> group) and you'll see JT is speaking specifically about *racing* and
> avoiding crashed *bikes*. How racing tips square with your statement
> downthread that "Speed kills banana brains" eludes me since the point
> of racing is to not only go fast but to be the *fastest*. Wait, I get
> it... top banana, right? :)

Hmmm. I wonder what JF and JFT would think about being confused with each
other?

nash wrote:
> then you've not been riding nearly long or fast enough
> to be giving anyone advice.
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> I rode a bicycle across Canada. How many here have done that.
> Has nothing to with speed. Which is my point entirely about aerobics and
> health.
> Speed kills banana brains. Racer I am not.
> Been riding since I was 8.
> never owned a car
> had 3 licences though for various jobs
> You know nothing about me or how I ride.
> Wy dont you ti your frame round your neck

^^^^^^^^^^^
Even though it's clearly a typo, I'll give you credit this one time.
Assuming you're responding to Mark (you really should learn to quote
properly), that's a pretty good pun.
\\paul

nash wrote:
> Most importantly, don't look into a crash as it happens -- instead
> look for open space and get your bike through that space.

Here's a couple thoughts:
--mass-start bicycle racing is clearly a dangerous venture, which should
be banned internationally as soon as possible. How many children have
been emotionally scarred by watching a bunch of wheezing cheese-jockeys
pile up in the first tight turn of a Le-Mans start? STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

--Every bicycle raced must have a 6" fiberglass whip attached at the
rear axle, pointing straight back. This will prevent dangerous
pacelining and also prevent slipstreaming as well, forcing all riders to
compete solely upon their own merits and training. No more weak
teammates coat-tailing on one good rider's success! STOP THE
BUTT-SNIFFING!!!

~

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 06:56:22 -0500, DougC <[email protected]>
wrote:

>--mass-start bicycle racing is clearly a dangerous venture, which should
>be banned internationally as soon as possible. How many children have
>been emotionally scarred by watching a bunch of wheezing cheese-jockeys
>pile up in the first tight turn of a Le-Mans start? STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

So my figure 8 racing venue doesn't appeal to you? If nothing else, it
should reduce the stragglers at the end of the race...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 06:56:22 -0500, DougC <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> --mass-start bicycle racing is clearly a dangerous venture, which should
>> be banned internationally as soon as possible. How many children have
>> been emotionally scarred by watching a bunch of wheezing cheese-jockeys
>> pile up in the first tight turn of a Le-Mans start? STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

> So my figure 8 racing venue doesn't appeal to you? If nothing else, it
> should reduce the stragglers at the end of the race...

It'll be like Ultimate Fighting whateveritscalled on bikes!

"Talk is cheap, buddy! You're ass is mine in the...

>drama pause<

OCT-O-DROME!"

"DougC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> nash wrote:
>> Most importantly, don't look into a crash as it happens -- instead
>> look for open space and get your bike through that space.
>>

> Here's a couple thoughts:
> --mass-start bicycle racing is clearly a dangerous venture, which should
> be banned internationally as soon as possible. How many children have been
> emotionally scarred by watching a bunch of wheezing cheese-jockeys pile up
> in the first tight turn of a Le-Mans start? STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

Up the League, down with the Union.
Peter

"nash" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Most importantly, don't look into a crash as it happens -- instead
> look for open space and get your bike through that space. You tend to
> steer your bike where you look and if your concentration is on falling
> riders, you're going to get caught up in their trouble. Too many
> riders see a crash, stare at it, jam on their brakes and then ride
> into the crash. Instead, as soon as a crash starts you want to try to
> get around it as fast as possible. It's sometimes OK to touch your
> brakes for a split second to give yourself some time to find a way
> around, but at racing speeds you're rarely going to actually avoid a
> crash by STOPPING. Instead just look for open space on either side of
> the crash and go for it. You might even want to accelerate into the
> open space before the crash spreads.J Forrester reader
> faqhttp://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/index.html#ctI guess this
> bums you out now Mark as with previous JF note.Do not waste my time. Stay
> "in your own little world"It's safer for everyone with a life.

Who needs brakes? They just slow you down.