Don't Forget Your Dollar

sitzmark

Jan 12, 2010
Has been a few years since this tip was posted, so a contemporary reminder...

A wise old sage told me earlier this year to always stick a dollar or two into my saddle bag. Said there's nuthin' tougher than the old greenback ... and a couple of 'em can be traded for snack or drink if need be.

The mighty dollar saved me a long walk home today. I set off this morning for 75 miles ... wanted to knock it off in one shot - keep pedaling until I couldn't pedal any longer. I passed the 60 mark and was thinking about a successful ride.

At mile 61 on a sandy downhill dog-leg left, I chose to go off road for a controlled stop rather than lay it over in the grit. Scrubbed most of my speed, but bonked into a large boulder and blew out my front sidewall - a 1 inch gash and a couple of small pinches.

Immediately I wondered ... did I spend my last bill on food/water? Luckily no. phew! Folded a bill in half and then over again lengthwise. Slid it between the newly installed tube and sliced sidewall and inflated with CO2 - firm but not rock hard. Barely a tiny little bulge - good old George held things together like a champ. Shaved my route by 4 miles for the shortest way home. After a "test mile" I was able to ride the final 10 miles with confidence and pushed the speeds back up. (Always watching for signs of a bulge - none.)

Don't forget your dollar(s)! :D

Sadly in Canada that would be at least a $5 bill anything smaller is a coin). But friends recently went on a ride and managed to save themselves some trouble by using a Cliff bar wrapper in the same manner.