Don't get ripped off by Derri-Air

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bubba, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    DERRI-AIR IS A SILLY AND EXPENSIVE IDEA.

    Short version: Their bike seats are clumsy and uncomfortable, AND the manufacturer does not honor
    its posted merchandise return policy.

    Longer version: We were looking for a possible answer to the "sore-butt" problem enjoyed by those of
    us to don't ride frequently enough to develop strategic calluses. An outfit calling itself
    "Derri-Air, LLC. Of White4fish, MT" looked like a possible solution. We ordered something called
    "The Limo". The thing was HUGE! It didn't just dominate the bike - - it almost overwhelmed the
    garage. Just getting a leg over the monster required a step ladder. We sent it back and after a few
    phone calls got Derri-Air to send their next size down. It was significantly smaller but equally
    awkward. Regardless of how much or how little we inflated it, it felt like sitting on a large, dead
    armadillo.

    In December last year we sent it back to Derri-Air with a letter of explanation and waited for a
    refund. (And waited, and waited, and waited .
    . . . ) Then we tried phone calls - - about once a month. Each phone conversation would get an
    assurance that "the check would go out in the morning", however, it's pretty clear that REFUNDS
    are not part of Derri-Air' s business plan. This company is something to be avoided.

    R. H. Lippert

    Houston, TX

    Tags:

  2. Amh

    Amh Guest

    "Bubba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > DERRI-AIR IS A SILLY AND EXPENSIVE IDEA.

    Yeah, you wrote the same thing a week or so ago. Please post an update I'm so interested.

    Andy

  3. Rabid

    Rabid Guest

    I don't know of any saddle manufacturer that would refund $ for a used saddle. Seems that you are
    doing good to get an exchange. Always be sure of saddles before you buy one, you're usually stuck
    with it. Although you could probably sell it on E-Bay! "Bubba" <[email protected]> wrote

    .
    > . . . ) Then we tried phone calls - - about once a month. Each phone conversation would get an
    > assurance that "the check would go out in the morning", however, it's pretty clear that REFUNDS
    > are not part of
    Derri-Air'
    > s business plan. This company is something to be avoided.
    >

    > R. H. Lippert
    >
    > Houston, TX

  4. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bubba" <[email protected]> writes:
    > DERRI-AIR IS A SILLY AND EXPENSIVE IDEA.

    Promotionally, "Derri-air" is an horrid idea of a monicker for a saddle, too. I'm not even into
    marketing, but even I could come up with something better than that.

    I just cleaned-up a second-hand, grubby, normal saddle, with a bunch of dish detergent. I hope it
    doesn't emit soap bubbles from underneath me when I ride in the rain. Actually, maybe I do.

    But even if it did, I'd still have a comfortable, usable saddle, for cheap. Eventually, the soap
    will wash out.

    OTOH, you're stuck with having wasted money on something stupid that you'll never use.

    Now you're wasting time on top of money.

    Move on, and get a normal saddle. In the meantime, you'll just have to put salt & pepper on your
    loss. Chalk it up to a learning experience.