Don't let your meat loaf...

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:42:46 GMT, jay <[email protected]> wrote:

>I like to see the pictures..even modoms :) .. can't quit looking at them.
>I hope you will post some more..may get a digital and do some also. That
>is a lot of meatloaf and it looks like what my grandmother used to make
>with a smear of ketchup on top. Carmelized nicely. The asparagus look very
>green and fresh. The last ones I did turned off color as soon as i
>finished them and I even tried the acid trick.. still looked awful. Must
>be the wrong trick. The kitchen looks really clean. Is that a bread
>machine in the background? I have never had any machine bread that was
>good.. don't like the cake texture.

Sheesh - why don't you just come right and ask him if he's gay and
available? Talk about humping legs, wow!

-sw

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:43:21 -0600, Steve Wertz wrote:

> Sheesh - why don't you just come right and ask him if he's gay and
> available?
>
> -sw

I would but my husband might object.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Five pound meat loaf:
> >
> > Raw: http://i1.tinypic.com/ndssgj.jpg
> >
> > Cooked: http://i1.tinypic.com/ndsv4n.jpg
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Did you blanch or steam that asparagus?
> The color is perfect!

Just nuked. Sprinkled a pinch of kosher salt, a wee grind of pepper,
and two pats of butter. I used to give em a spritz with fresh lemon
but since Jilly likes them no more lemon, cats hate citrus. They're
kind of disorganized because I gave em a shake and swirl half way
through, total ten minutes on high. I think these were kind of part
way between greens and whites... if you'll notice a few are kind of
yellow, deprived of light is all that makes the difference. I don't
like to snap off the ends, I prefer the neatly cut look. Nowadays
asparagus are bundled with two fat rubbers, so after running under cold
water I tap their bottoms down on the cutting board to even them up and
then slice the bottoms through all in one fell swoop. I don't care if
a cut away some tender, I nibble the tender part off each nipply nub
anyway. Of course then I'm reminded to flush after each pee. hehe

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:45:19 GMT, jay <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:43:21 -0600, Steve Wertz wrote:

>> Sheesh - why don't you just come right and ask him if he's gay and
>> available?

>I would but my husband might object.

You have a wife _and_ a husband? Lame <yawn>

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Five pound meat loaf:
> > >
> > > Raw: http://i1.tinypic.com/ndssgj.jpg
> > >
> > > Cooked: http://i1.tinypic.com/ndsv4n.jpg
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > Did you blanch or steam that asparagus?
> > The color is perfect!

> Just nuked. Sprinkled a pinch of kosher salt, a wee grind of pepper,
> and two pats of butter. I used to give em a spritz with fresh lemon
> but since Jilly likes them no more lemon, cats hate citrus.

I've never offered kitties asparagus.
They sure do like Olives tho'! Black or green.

> They're
> kind of disorganized because I gave em a shake and swirl half way
> through, total ten minutes on high. I think these were kind of part
> way between greens and whites... if you'll notice a few are kind of
> yellow, deprived of light is all that makes the difference. I don't
> like to snap off the ends, I prefer the neatly cut look.

Well, you could always snap, then trim...
I like to freeze the tough ends, then extract them for soup.

> Nowadays
> asparagus are bundled with two fat rubbers, so after running under cold
> water I tap their bottoms down on the cutting board to even them up and
> then slice the bottoms through all in one fell swoop. I don't care if
> a cut away some tender, I nibble the tender part off each nipply nub
> anyway. Of course then I'm reminded to flush after each pee. hehe

<snork>
I know what you mean...... ;-p

--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

JohnHancock wrote:

> You'd be even more sorry if you had eaten that sorry looking - kinda
> burned it seems - excuse for a meatloaf. I thought sheldork said he
> could cook.

It looks exactly how I like my meatloaf. The ketchup on the top
caramelizes, that's all.
Are you just *****in' cause its Sheldon?
Goomba

Goomba38 wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Five pound meat loaf:
> >
> > Raw: http://i1.tinypic.com/ndssgj.jpg
> >
> > Cooked: http://i1.tinypic.com/ndsv4n.jpg
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> The cooked looks fabulous.. I love the darkened caramelized bits!

The inside was very juicy, didn't even need gravy... shoulda taken a
picture of it sliced... next time. It's those ground in raw spuds
makes it juicy (don't even peel them). And saves me from feeling
guilty about not preparing mashed or baked. Didjas know the meat
grinder is the best way to prepare spuds for potato latkes... no
grating, and _fast_.

Another secret is, even though I use a non stick farberware pan, I
liberally coat the pan with olive oil before adding the meat loaf
mixture... no sticking at all and makes a crisp crust on the bottom
too. I also coat the meat with a bit of olive oil before grinding,
lubes the grinder, gives a smear free grind. And since I remove all
the big chunks of fat from the meat this way I exchange cholesterol
laden beef fat for cholestrol free olive oil. My meat loaf is not at
all greasy... of course this one contained 8 eggs (usually it would
have been ten [two per pound] but I ran out). It tasted GOOD... so
good in fact it was tough to stop eating, even had a cold meat loaf
sammich for breakfast yesterday, then reheated some for dinner last
night. I only have enough for one more meal... but fortunately I know
the guy who makes these.

Oh, did I mention the seasoning; 2 Tbls Penzeys Italian herb mix, 2
Tbls dehy bell peppers, 3 Tbls dehy toasted onions (much better than
Lipton onion soup mix), 1tsp msg, s n' p of course. Yes, I cook with
msg, cuts way back on salt usage... I only used a tsp of kosher salt..
that's really not very much sodium considering it's 5 pounds of beef.
Ground in a stack of unsalted saltines... was still kinda juicy so had
to add about a half cup bread crumbs. Also added a handful Hodgson Mill
cracked wheat hot cereal (uncooked). I really don't measure, all those
amounts are eyeballs... did I add anything else... don't think so. But
matters not, I never make meat loaf exactly the same twice.

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:

>jay wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:01:04 -0800, Sheldon wrote:
>>

>>>Five pound meat loaf:
>>>

>>I like to see the pictures..even modoms :) .. can't quit looking at them.
>>I hope you will post some more..may get a digital and do some also. That
>>is a lot of meatloaf and it looks like what my grandmother used to make
>>with a smear of ketchup on top. Carmelized nicely. The asparagus look very
>>green and fresh. The last ones I did turned off color as soon as i
>>finished them and I even tried the acid trick.. still looked awful. Must
>>be the wrong trick. The kitchen looks really clean. Is that a bread
>>machine in the background? I have never had any machine bread that was
>>good.. don't like the cake texture.
>>

>Actually I don't use plain ketchup, that's a mixure of ketchup with Lea
>& Perrins Worstershire, fresh ground white pepper, and a little
>granulated garlic. It may look over cooked but it's very moist inside
>because with the five pounds of chuck I also ground in two huge
>potatoes, two onions, two big carrots, a celery heart, and a fistful of
>parsley, then added eight eggs... was very moist. I say "was" because
>all that's left is an end. My cats love it too. And I purposely over
>cook the asparagus because Jilly loves them and otherwise they are too
>stringy for her... she bites off all the tips, her favorite.
>
>To enjoy meat loaf you really need to grind your own ... I don't know
>how anyone can swallow that preground mystery meat.
>
>My helper:
>http://i1.tinypic.com/nec65w.jpg
>
>After dinner nap, with a full belly on a snowy day:
>http://i1.tinypic.com/nec6ci.jpg
>
>Sheldon

I put grated apple in my meat loaf also, but no celery. Also bread
soaked in water with the eggs. And the whole is wrapped in bacon
rashers, which means it ends up not being particularly economical! But
I only use 500gm (two pounds) of meat and everything else in proportion.
That monster of yours would feed an army.

Your helper is adorable. I am reminded of the time when I was a child
and the kitten disappeared. Mum eventually found him curled up in a
kitchen cupboard sleeping next to the remains of a meatloaf that had
been left to cool! Didn't B S Kliban have a line about cat being
frequently mistaken for meatloaf?

Christine

Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> jay wrote:

>>> I like to see the pictures..even modoms :) .. can't quit looking at
>>> them.
>>> I hope you will post some more..may get a digital and do some also.
>>> That
>>> is a lot of meatloaf and it looks like what my grandmother used to make
>>> with a smear of ketchup on top. Carmelized nicely. The asparagus
>>> look very
>>> green and fresh. The last ones I did turned off color as soon as i
>>> finished them and I even tried the acid trick.. still looked awful.
>>> Must
>>> be the wrong trick. The kitchen looks really clean. Is that a bread
>>> machine in the background? I have never had any machine bread that was
>>> good.. don't like the cake texture.
>>>

>> Actually I don't use plain ketchup, that's a mixure of ketchup with Lea
>> & Perrins Worstershire, fresh ground white pepper, and a little
>> granulated garlic. It may look over cooked but it's very moist inside
>> because with the five pounds of chuck I also ground in two huge
>> potatoes, two onions, two big carrots, a celery heart, and a fistful of
>> parsley, then added eight eggs... was very moist. I say "was" because
>> all that's left is an end. My cats love it too. And I purposely over
>> cook the asparagus because Jilly loves them and otherwise they are too
>> stringy for her... she bites off all the tips, her favorite.
>>
>> To enjoy meat loaf you really need to grind your own ... I don't know
>> how anyone can swallow that preground mystery meat.
>>
>> My helper:
>> http://i1.tinypic.com/nec65w.jpg
>>
>> After dinner nap, with a full belly on a snowy day:
>> http://i1.tinypic.com/nec6ci.jpg
>>
>> Sheldon
>>

> I put grated apple in my meat loaf also, but no celery. Also bread
> soaked in water with the eggs. And the whole is wrapped in bacon
> rashers, which means it ends up not being particularly economical!
> But I only use 500gm (two pounds) of meat and everything else in
> proportion. That monster of yours would feed an army.
>
> Your helper is adorable. I am reminded of the time when I was a child
> and the kitten disappeared. Mum eventually found him curled up in a
> kitchen cupboard sleeping next to the remains of a meatloaf that had
> been left to cool! Didn't B S Kliban have a line about cat being
> frequently mistaken for meatloaf?
>
> Christine

Quick before the metric conversion police come after me! Of course 500gm
is *one* pound in the old money.

Christine

Goomba38 wrote:
> JohnHancock wrote:
>
>> You'd be even more sorry if you had eaten that sorry looking - kinda
>> burned it seems - excuse for a meatloaf. I thought sheldork said he
>> could cook.

> It looks exactly how I like my meatloaf. The ketchup on the top
> caramelizes, that's all.
> Are you just *****in' cause its Sheldon?
> Goomba

I don't like ketchup on my meatoaf. Mine is just plain ol' meatloaf. But I
do use bottled cocktail sauce *in* the meat mixture and also shredded
cheese. Yum!

Jill

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >> jay wrote:

> >> Actually I don't use plain ketchup, that's a mixure of ketchup with Lea
> >> & Perrins Worstershire, fresh ground white pepper, and a little
> >> granulated garlic. It may look over cooked but it's very moist inside
> >> because with the five pounds of chuck I also ground in two huge
> >> potatoes, two onions, two big carrots, a celery heart, and a fistful of
> >> parsley, then added eight eggs... was very moist. I say "was" because
> >> all that's left is an end. My cats love it too. And I purposely over
> >> cook the asparagus because Jilly loves them and otherwise they are too
> >> stringy for her... she bites off all the tips, her favorite.
> >>
> >> To enjoy meat loaf you really need to grind your own ... I don't know
> >> how anyone can swallow that preground mystery meat.
> >>
> >> My helper:
> >> http://i1.tinypic.com/nec65w.jpg
> >>
> >> After dinner nap, with a full belly on a snowy day:
> >> http://i1.tinypic.com/nec6ci.jpg
> >>

> > I put grated apple in my meat loaf also, but no celery. Also bread
> > soaked in water with the eggs. And the whole is wrapped in bacon
> > rashers, which means it ends up not being particularly economical!
> > But I only use 500gm (two pounds) of meat and everything else in
> > proportion. That monster of yours would feed an army.
> >
> > Your helper is adorable. I am reminded of the time when I was a child
> > and the kitten disappeared. Mum eventually found him curled up in a
> > kitchen cupboard sleeping next to the remains of a meatloaf that had
> > been left to cool! Didn't B S Kliban have a line about cat being
> > frequently mistaken for meatloaf?

> Quick before the metric conversion police come after me! Of course 500gm
> is *one* pound in the old money.

I don't think one pound qualifies as a meat loaf, more like two burgers
worth.

Sheldon wrote:

>Old Mother Ashby wrote:
>

>>Old Mother Ashby wrote:

>>>I put grated apple in my meat loaf also, but no celery. Also bread
>>>soaked in water with the eggs. And the whole is wrapped in bacon
>>>rashers, which means it ends up not being particularly economical!
>>>But I only use 500gm (two pounds) of meat and everything else in
>>>proportion. That monster of yours would feed an army.
>>>
>>>Your helper is adorable. I am reminded of the time when I was a child
>>>and the kitten disappeared. Mum eventually found him curled up in a
>>>kitchen cupboard sleeping next to the remains of a meatloaf that had
>>>been left to cool! Didn't B S Kliban have a line about cat being
>>>frequently mistaken for meatloaf?
>>>

>>Quick before the metric conversion police come after me! Of course 500gm
>>is *one* pound in the old money.
>>

>I don't think one pound qualifies as a meat loaf, more like two burgers
>worth.

I'm only feeding two. Two servings and enough leftovers for a couple of
sandwiches. Absolutely nothing for the cats, or the dogs either. You
must do pretty big burgers - I'd get four from 500gm. Perhaps American
pounds are smaller than the old Imperial ones.

Christine

Goomba38 wrote:
> JohnHancock wrote:
>
>> You'd be even more sorry if you had eaten that sorry looking - kinda
>> burned it seems - excuse for a meatloaf. I thought sheldork said he
>> could cook.

> It looks exactly how I like my meatloaf. The ketchup on the top
> caramelizes, that's all.
> Are you just *****in' cause its Sheldon?
> Goomba

If it was just because it's Sheldork I would just ignore the putz. I am
stating that it looks unappetizing to me. I have never made a meatloaf
with KETCHUP on top not have I ever seen anyone ever do it either. For
someone - i.e. Sheldon (?) - who makes it sound like they cook so good
that meatloaf look like ****. Any other idiotic comments?

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:25:32 -0500, Goomba38
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It looks exactly how I like my meatloaf. The ketchup on the top
>caramelizes, that's all.

That ain't caramelized - that's CARBONized.

-sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:25:32 -0500, Goomba38
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It looks exactly how I like my meatloaf. The ketchup on the top
>>caramelizes, that's all.

> That ain't caramelized - that's CARBONized.

I agree totally :D
Pandora

JohnHancock wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > JohnHancock wrote:
> >
> >> You'd be even more sorry if you had eaten that sorry looking - kinda
> >> burned it seems - excuse for a meatloaf. I thought sheldork said he
> >> could cook.

> > It looks exactly how I like my meatloaf. The ketchup on the top
> > caramelizes, that's all.
> > Are you just *****in' cause its Sheldon?
> > Goomba

> If it was just because it's Sheldork I would just ignore the putz. I am
> stating that it looks unappetizing to me. I have never made a meatloaf
> with KETCHUP on top not have I ever seen anyone ever do it either. For
> someone - i.e. Sheldon (?) - who makes it sound like they cook so good
> that meatloaf look like ****. Any other idiotic comments?

Yes:

1. I've always used ketchup on top of my meatoaf, it's very common...

2. It looks DEE - LISH...

--
Best
Greg

Sheldon wrote:

> To enjoy meat loaf you really need to grind your own ... I don't know
> how anyone can swallow that preground mystery meat.

I bet "Pandora" could - I hear she swallows a LOT...and of most
ANYTHING too...

> My helper:
> http://i1.tinypic.com/nec65w.jpg

Everyone should be so lucky to have such a cute helper...

> After dinner nap, with a full belly on a snowy day:
> http://i1.tinypic.com/nec6ci.jpg

The caption for that is "Contentment"...

--
Best
Greg

Steve SQWertz squirts:

> My meat never loafs.

Yup...how VERY true...I hear you SNEEKED off to the whorehouse the
other night and upon yer return you "served" your wife a big 'ole
helpin' of that Brit speciality "spotted ****"...which is why she is
currently trying to contact Dr. Alexander Fleming via her Ouija
board...

--
Best
Greg