Don't read this question whilst eating your dinner....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Me, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    I've noticed that my mucus contains what looks like dirt - is this a product of cycling on the road
    and breating in the muck? I ask now because before I blamed it on my smoking, but since giving up it
    has continued.

    Cheers,

    Ted

    Tags:

  2. "Me" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I've noticed that my mucus contains what looks like dirt - is this a product of cycling on the
    > road and breating in the muck? I ask now because before I blamed it on my smoking, but since
    > giving up it has continued.

    Are we talking about snot here, or discharge through some other orifice?

    I can always tell when I've been to London by the contents of my handkerchief; if you live in a
    city, it may just be a product of everyday urban life. I've never observed any correlation between
    bogey colour and cycling, though.

    -dan

    --

    http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

  3. "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I've noticed that my mucus contains what looks like dirt - is this a product of cycling on the
    > road and breating in the muck? I ask now because before I blamed it on my smoking, but since
    > giving up it has continued.

    I smoke about 7 strong gaulouise per day and have not experienced these symptoms, so I blame it on
    airborne dirt particles & diesel soot.

  4. Me

    Me Guest

    > > I've noticed that my mucus contains what looks like dirt - is this a
    product
    > > of cycling on the road and breating in the muck? I ask now because
    before I
    > > blamed it on my smoking, but since giving up it has continued.
    >
    > Are we talking about snot here, or discharge through some other orifice?

    More of a product "brought-up" from the lungs.

    > I can always tell when I've been to London by the contents of my handkerchief; if you live in a
    > city, it may just be a product of everyday urban life. I've never observed any correlation between
    > bogey colour and cycling, though.

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity Me scribbled:

    > I've noticed that my mucus contains what looks like dirt - is this a product of cycling on the
    > road and breating in the muck? I ask now because before I blamed it on my smoking, but since
    > giving up it has continued.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ted

    I am an ex-miner, not been a miner since 1984, and an ex-smoker, not been a smoker since 1986 ish ..
    I still bring bits up occasionally from mining, dust particles etc. I suspect it would be more
    likely to be airborne dust and grime than from smoking .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1581 Seti work units in 12041 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  6. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> writes
    >"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> I've noticed that my mucus contains what looks like dirt - is this a product of cycling on the
    >> road and breating in the muck? I ask now because before I blamed it on my smoking, but since
    >> giving up it has continued.
    >
    >I smoke about 7 strong gaulouise per day and have not experienced these symptoms, so I blame it on
    >airborne dirt particles & diesel soot.

    On days when I used to travel a lot on the Tube in London, for example, while flat hunting
    at weekends, my snot turned black and gritty. I believe it was because of the brake dust in
    the tunnels.

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've noticed that my mucus contains what looks like dirt - is this a
    product
    > of cycling on the road and breating in the muck? I ask now because before
    > blamed it on my smoking, but since giving up it has continued.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ted

    ..been a smoker on 'n' off (currently off!!) for around 32 years...never suffered dirt ridden mucus
    as a result...However....I started ravin' about 7 or 8 years ago and noticed this happening after
    all-nighters. I assumed it was becaise of one or two things, either 1.- the amount of cigarette
    smoke in the air, or, 2. (and I think this more likely), the amount of dust kicked up in the air by
    a hall full of people shuffling around, sorry, dancing, all night... bit of a suprise the first time
    I blew my nose the morning after and saw black sooty deposits...soon cleared up though. So, probably
    reckon it's the pollution rather than the ciggies....but if it was the ciggies...it'd be the least
    of your worries ;-) cheers, Dave.

  8. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > was becaise of one or two things, either 1.- the amount of cigarette smoke in the air, or, 2. (and
    > I think this more likely), the amount of dust
    kicked
    > up in the air by a hall full of people shuffling around, sorry, dancing,
    all
    > night...

    This stuff, when mixed with "sources of moisture, atmospheric or otherwise" is commonly known as
    "squat juice" - dunno if the sort of parties you go to are licensed ones or slightly more
    underground (squatted) venues, but it turns up at all of these places (licensed venues are usually
    only the same warehouses, tarted up a bit to bring them into line with safety regs etc).

    FYI it was the local rave organisers who built me my first bike and got me back into cycling! I
    stopped raving a year and a half ago as the lifestyle was getting too much for me and I was worried
    about the effect the scene is having on the local youth, but I still ride my bike all the time.
    Incidentally the last few (underground) raves in Reading all had secure cycle storage; and even the
    coppers who turned up said they would rather have people riding bikes to them than driving as there
    would be less chance of nasty collisions!

    Alex

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > was becaise of one or two things, either 1.- the amount of cigarette
    smoke
    > > in the air, or, 2. (and I think this more likely), the amount of dust
    > kicked
    > > up in the air by a hall full of people shuffling around, sorry, dancing,
    > all
    > > night...
    >
    > This stuff, when mixed with "sources of moisture, atmospheric or
    otherwise"
    > is commonly known as "squat juice" - dunno if the sort of parties you go
    > are licensed ones or slightly more underground (squatted) venues, but it turns up at all of these
    > places (licensed venues are usually only the same warehouses, tarted up a bit to bring them into
    > line with safety regs etc).
    >
    > FYI it was the local rave organisers who built me my first bike and got me back into cycling! I
    > stopped raving a year and a half ago as the lifestyle was getting too much for me and I was
    > worried about the effect the scene
    is
    > having on the local youth, but I still ride my bike all the time. Incidentally the last few
    > (underground) raves in Reading all had secure cycle storage; and even the coppers who turned up
    > said they would rather have people riding bikes to them than driving as there would be less
    chance
    > of nasty collisions!
    >
    > Alex

    Excellent!!...must admit, since making a proactive effort to 'get fit' and 'stay fit' once more, the
    party scene has definitely taken a back seat. Shame really 'cos it was interesting ;-). I always
    like the idea that the police prefer to police raves rather than town/city centre bars 'cos
    everyones luvved-up and just wants to hug a cop rather than bottle 'em. Da law, eh? - once an ass,
    always an ass, ah well.... Dave.