Don't start out by buying a $5000 bike

Did you buy a new very expensive bike staight og

• Yes, I did

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I got a good secondhand bike before moving into a new, very expensive bike.

Votes: 138 100.0%

• Total voters
sorry, about the delayed response. THANKS!!!

Ronanmk said:
1) LBS is an absolute MUST for beginners. There is no no advice on the online shops, and advice is something you need plenty when you're a beginner.

2) A Cnndale R700 sounds like a great deal for 1200 u$, and IMHO you should give it serious thought

3) That's true. You can get anything between 20 to 40% (even 50%) off if you wait a year. Go for it (I did with my Giant TCR 1)

On a side note, I wouldn't recommend a 2nd hand bike for a beginner, unless it is purchased on a LBS. FITTING is essential to good, confortable riding, and there's no way a newby can get propper fitting for something he's buying from the Internet. He might save a couple of hundred dollars, but his sore back will draw him out of the sport.

I'd recommend to buy a lower-spec'ed bike (even Tiagra is completely rideable nowadays) and then make a move on fancier stuff.

Cheers

You should pay $600 to $1000 for your first road or mountain bike as you pick up the sport. From there you will either get the bug or not. I have been riding low-end bikes for 30 years and enjoyed them. Of course, at age 51, I have gotten a serious bug now, and plan on spending $4 to $5K on the next one!

jvanoonk said:
You should pay $600 to $1000 for your first road or mountain bike as you pick up the sport. From there you will either get the bug or not. I have been riding low-end bikes for 30 years and enjoyed them. Of course, at age 51, I have gotten a serious bug now, and plan on spending $4 to $5K on the next one!

My buying decisions put a bike in the $650 to $1000 US range as being plenty good enough and affordable enough. Over the years as I replaced bikes and bought new ones I was around that range or so. When I got into biking seriously at age 50 (my previous bikes were recreational rides at irregular times) I had to get a new bike because my Cannodale bike was damaged by a car rolling over it. I wasn't on the bike at the time. I spent about $650 on a 2004 Giant OCR2 aluminum bike. I got a lot of enjoyment riding the bike, in spite of the fact that the fit was a compromise for me, as explained to me by my LBS.

When I had a windfall come in I had the opportunity to buy a bike that would eliminate all the negative things I had put up with over the years. I got a bike where nothing on it rusts. I got a bike where the shifting just works, without needing constant adjustment. I got a bike with wheels that stay true and are true both laterally and in circumfrence. I got a bike that has precision hardware and better quality than a lesser bike. I got a bike that has a frame that will outlive me. I got a bike with a geometry that fits me at this time in my life. I got a bike that is the lightest I ever had. I got a bike that is the strongest I ever had. I got a bike made from carbon fiber which is a material I coveted. I got a bike with the handling that makes it a dream bike for me. I got a bike with my name on it.

I've posted in this thread a few times and revisited it today. I certainly did not start out buying a $5000 dollar bike. I rode bikes enough years and developed enough passion and desire to have a really great bike and the means to purchase it.

The company I work for is moving closer to where I live. Only 8 miles away now I'll ride my bike to work. I'll be a bicycle commuter, something I've wanted to do for years. I have a great bike to commute on. Being able to ride 16 mile a day, five days a week will be great training so I can ride 60 miles on a Saturday and an easy 20 on Sunday.

I started out with an old Olmo frame and a Campy Mirage group set. Rode that for 2 years, then bought the pimped out Norco CRR Team (Symmetrics' bike).

I still love both bikes, they both have great qualities. You can't go wrong with steel to start out. Cheap and comfy.