Don't start out by buying a $5000 bike

Did you buy a new very expensive bike staight og

• Yes, I did

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I got a good secondhand bike before moving into a new, very expensive bike.

Votes: 138 100.0%

• Total voters
I had done biking on a road bike for a while and having a X Country running backround made it easier to transition to MTB with my friend. I was using his old hard tail for about 2 months and he would start leaving me behind on the down hills mostly. He has been biking for a long time and done some races too. I was finding that while his bike was sufficent for now I wasn't comfortable with it. I purchased a new bike not at $5000 but at $2000 and it made such a difference. I've beaten my friend regularly even with his hardtail but now in comfort. My only worry in getting such an expensive bike is riding it and using it. Because of school I don't have as much time. I think it was definitely a good investment because I'll have it for a long time and will be in good health if anything.

Nick

I can't answer to either question. I didn't start off with an expensive bike, but I didn't start off with a *good* secondhand bike either.

I started off with an '88 (or somewhere around that year) Centurion Le Mans that I got for free 2 summers (or was it 3) ago. Unknown miles, though I put about 1800 miles on it within about a year. When I got it, I cleaned it and re-lubed it. The wheel bearing races were pitted, and the teeth on the chain rings were basically like razor blades ... but everything else worked OK (hey, it wasn't worth replacing anything). 1800 miles later ... downtube shifter for rear derailleur (sp? i forget right now) stopped work, crank wobbles about 1/8" at the pedals 'cause BB is so worn out, chain makes ton of noise (I found out it's the original!!!!!). Suffice to say .... the bike was/IS in sorry shape. Until the crank started wobbling, I continued to use it for century rides and further .... for which my friend always made fun of me for.

To replace it, I spent too much $$$ since I'm single I guess and got a used Calfee Dragonfly Pro w/Campy Record. Why? Good question, I still ponder that myself sometimes ... well, until I ride it, then I don't care haha. Whatever .... I'll just ride and be happy :)

Dan

I recently purchased my wife a Calfee. She has been riding a number of years and I thought she should be riding the best.

Originally posted by mockie
I recently purchased my wife a Calfee. She has been riding a number of years and I thought she should be riding the best.
Nice! A co-worker of mine rides in on one all the time. Beautiful bike...

Originally posted by SquadraSF
that's kind of an unusual way to begin your cycling career. it takes a MINIUMUM of 1 year on the bike before anyone should even remotely consider the idea of racing. first, fitness does not equal bicycle fitness. second, the Crash5s are bad enough without an absolute beginner with almost no skills bumping elbows with you and using the race to learn handling skills. 1 year of group riding is in order to perfect these skills BEFORE you race. it's equally odd that your LBS suggest you train with the team they sponsor unless he's only talking about their recovery rides (and even that is odd). there SHOULD be a huge difference in fitness and talent between a newbie and a veteran. in one year, could improve 10 fold with the right training. hopefully, that's where these racers ARE and where you WILL be in a year or so.

i'm not trying to sound discouraging, i'm just pointing out that most people attempt to become a "cyclist" BEFORE they become a "racer". you have to learn to swim first.

I would agree with you if she was a male. Since she is a female, everything speeds up. Less female racers = less experienced cyclists getting into racing. Have you seen a female race? She has a great chance to do well only after 1 year. Unlike us males, take more for us to succeed, because of the greater number of racers. Also, in my neck of the woods, you have to get a racing licence. This envolves a written and bike handling test. If she passes this, then race. She'll either have the fitness to do well or get dropped and quit racing......

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
I would agree with you if she was a male. Since she is a female, everything speeds up. Less female racers = less experienced cyclists getting into racing. Have you seen a female race? She has a great chance to do well only after 1 year. Unlike us males, take more for us to succeed, because of the greater number of racers. Also, in my neck of the woods, you have to get a racing licence. This envolves a written and bike handling test. If she passes this, then race. She'll either have the fitness to do well or get dropped and quit racing......

Memph

Thanks, man!!!!!!!!! I realize I am not ready to race at this point; however, that is what the next 6 months are all about! I am fine tuning my diet, training, endurance, fitness, etc.......... so that by next Spring, I'll be ready to race. How does one become a "veteran" if they never start? I don't expect to win, I expect to improve with each race until I am dominating in my category! haha!

It's not always where you finish..............it's that you finish!

Kim

Originally posted by trekchic
Thanks, man!!!!!!!!! I realize I am not ready to race at this point; however, that is what the next 6 months are all about! I am fine tuning my diet, training, endurance, fitness, etc.......... so that by next Spring, I'll be ready to race. How does one become a "veteran" if they never start? I don't expect to win, I expect to improve with each race until I am dominating in my category! haha!

It's not always where you finish..............it's that you finish!

Kim

I couldn't agree with you more. Six months is alot of time to train and get into better shape. I lost 27lbs and gained great fitness in three months this summer. I also plan to race this spring. The only difference between us, is that I use to race JR/Cat3.

Also if you live someplace warm, where you can train out doors over the winter :( This helps you even more. Myself living up here in the frozen tundra of Canada, have to start training into soon. My marshmellow suit can only keep me so warm.

Just get lots of riding time in large groups. Learn to watch the strong rider and read signs. Like when they might break. Learn to ride your bike better. Have to start sometime......

Memph

I just read this whole thread and appreciate the opinions. I just registered today on this forum and am new to cycling. I have tried out bikes at a couple of bike stores and know what bike I'd like to have except the $4K price tag is just too much for me to justify. I'm waiting until I can a good one, a year or two old, on ebay for 50% or more off the retail price. I know this will cost more than a brand new $1500 bike, but it will have better components and a higher resale value than a $1500 new bike.
I didn't check any of the survey options, but if I did it would be get a good used second hand bike.

Originally posted by kwikrnu
I just read this whole thread and appreciate the opinions. I just registered today on this forum and am new to cycling. I have tried out bikes at a couple of bike stores and know what bike I'd like to have except the $4K price tag is just too much for me to justify. I'm waiting until I can a good one, a year or two old, on ebay for 50% or more off the retail price. I know this will cost more than a brand new $1500 bike, but it will have better components and a higher resale value than a $1500 new bike.
I didn't check any of the survey options, but if I did it would be get a good used second hand bike.

That's a good idea assuming you factor in that some bicycle warranties are not transferable and you probably will not receive the fitting, free tune ups and service from your LBS by buying used. Also remember that technology floats downstream. For example this year's Dura Ace will be next year's Ultegra. Using that logic the new components you buy today may be lower on the overall scale as far as name goes, but may be better anyway. (IE 105 components today may be as good or better than three year old Ultegra, and they have a warranty when new!)

I just like that "new bike" feeling :)

Allan

Originally posted by flea77
That's a good idea assuming you factor in that some bicycle warranties are not transferable and you probably will not receive the fitting, free tune ups and service from your LBS by buying used. Also remember that technology floats downstream. For example this year's Dura Ace will be next year's Ultegra. Using that logic the new components you buy today may be lower on the overall scale as far as name goes, but may be better anyway. (IE 105 components today may be as good or better than three year old Ultegra, and they have a warranty when new!)

Are you saying that Dura-Ace from a 2001 bike is the same as 105 from a 2003 bike? The LBSs I've been to don't give free tune ups. I could buy a brand new dura-Ace component set sell the old on ebay and have lots of cash left over for tune ups if I buy a good used bike. $2000 can buy a lot of tune ups at the bike shop.

As an avid triathlete throughout the 80's, somewhere back there I sold my old Raleigh Super Course and built its replacement with the best of the best that 1986 had to offer. Of course it was lugged steel, super record, tubulars, the very very new Look pedal concept and a Brooks Team Pro. I think I spent just under $1,300. That was then. After carefully studying all of the posts, eBay and everything that a whole peck of LBS's had to say, I rode the best of today's best. I could afford anything in the shop, having just sold my Harley. Guess what. Today's stuff is good. Great even. But the difference is pretty darn small. The best of 15 years ago was great then and still is. Personally, I prefer downtube shifting. I don't need more than a seven speeds in my freewheel. And I couldn't find a saddle anywhere that was as nice as a broken in Team Pro. Sorry, but today's wheels are not that much better than yesterday's top tubular wheels.

I seriously encourage EVERYONE to buy a $5,000 bike. More if you can afford it. Think exotic materials and shaving grams and seconds per hour. At least until I buy my next frame. That's what's keeping the price of old vintage Masi, Cinelli and DeRosa frames cheap.

Just please don't associate lugged steel with a Schwinn Varsity. Find someone with a classic vintage high-end bike and check it out. (Please try to be out riding when the bidding closes on that red DeRosa.)

Originally posted by ddallam
As an avid triathlete throughout the 80's, somewhere back there I sold my old Raleigh Super Course and built its replacement with the best of the best that 1986 had to offer. Of course it was lugged steel, super record, tubulars, the very very new Look pedal concept and a Brooks Team Pro. I think I spent just under $1,300. That was then. After carefully studying all of the posts, eBay and everything that a whole peck of LBS's had to say, I rode the best of today's best. I could afford anything in the shop, having just sold my Harley. Guess what. Today's stuff is good. Great even. But the difference is pretty darn small. The best of 15 years ago was great then and still is. Personally, I prefer downtube shifting. I don't need more than a seven speeds in my freewheel. And I couldn't find a saddle anywhere that was as nice as a broken in Team Pro. Sorry, but today's wheels are not that much better than yesterday's top tubular wheels.

I seriously encourage EVERYONE to buy a $5,000 bike. More if you can afford it. Think exotic materials and shaving grams and seconds per hour. At least until I buy my next frame. That's what's keeping the price of old vintage Masi, Cinelli and DeRosa frames cheap.

Just please don't associate lugged steel with a Schwinn Varsity. Find someone with a classic vintage high-end bike and check it out. (Please try to be out riding when the bidding closes on that red DeRosa.)

I feel the same way toward my 8spd STI. But Shimano has stopped producing 8spd parts and they are becoming differcult to locate. So Shimano has almost forced me to upgrade to a 10spd. Which I consider to many gears.

Am thinking of purchasing a 2003 TCR1, with 9spd Ultegra. Been debating the fact of does this bike really ride $3000CND better then my custom built bike from 10 years ago? This bike shall be sized to fit me. Where as my bike now was built to fit me. Is a new bike really worth the extra coin. Has the technology really moved forward that much.......

Memph

I started racing at the beginning of this year and bought a second hand Pinarello Prince frame, a Record gruppo and Eurus wheels. I think that puts me close to the "newbie buying $5000 bike" mark.

However - this makes perfect sense to me. Although I've cycled for years, my sport was sailing - at which I competed to a very high level - and my golden rule was always "buy the equipment the best guys have - then sail it better than them". I've applied the same rule, and it's going to take a lot more than one year before I'm racing my bike as competitively as I sailed, but I know that the bike isn't letting me down.

If I'd carried on riding my 20 year old steel Bianchi with 105, I'd have always known that I could go faster round corners and up and down hills on a decent bike, and that would give me an excuse. As it is, I know exactly why I don't win races - insufficient experience and not enough aerobic base.

If I couldn't afford the bike, I could have got by with something much cheaper - but the fact is I can afford it and I love the way it rides.

Now just wait until I've got a winter's training under my belt!

Originally posted by Bowyer
Cycling is my life and these days down when I got out on sunday I see a lot of new riders with very expensive bikes. Now this is a big worry when they have just got into the sport because you never know they might not enjoy it and they might think that it is not for them (trust me it happens all the time). So i and many pro's and masters always say to people just getting into the sport to not just go to the local bike store and pick up a trek with dura-ace and carbon everything, go to web sites that sell secondhand bikes or if your lucky go and ask at a bikestore they have great bikes from $350-$1000 with 300km on them. it is so much more sensible than buying a $5000 bike straight of.

I'm not complaining, it's the people that start out buying expensive bikes, then give up and sell it off that supply people like me with cheap bikes! :)
Who better to pick a bargain up from?

Did alot of research before my bike purchase.

I got a $340 bike that was on sale for $300 because it was late fall. Plus a bunch of accessories 40% some and 20% on any more up to the end of december. Even managed to negotiate a free upgrade on the rear derailer to a deora.

It was a worthwhile purchase. I don't plan to get a more expensive bike, least not for a long time.

Originally posted by Truepurple
Did alot of research before my bike purchase.

I got a $340 bike that was on sale for $300 because it was late fall. Plus a bunch of accessories 40% some and 20% on any more up to the end of december. Even managed to negotiate a free upgrade on the rear derailer to a deora.

It was a worthwhile purchase. I don't plan to get a more expensive bike, least not for a long time.

Did you forget a zero? Most of our wheels cost more than your bike.. :)

Memph

Speak for yourself :) I did a lot of research before I bought my $400 bike. Some people can have a *lot* of fun on a cheap (to you) cycle.

Originally posted by Geonz
Speak for yourself :) I did a lot of research before I bought my $400 bike. Some people can have a *lot* of fun on a cheap (to you) cycle.

I agree. Can abuse the bike all you want & not care. It could be a disposable bike.... :)

Heck, am thinking of purchasing one myself for winter riding....

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann

Am thinking of purchasing a 2003 TCR1, with 9spd Ultegra. Been debating the fact of does this bike really ride $3000CND better then my custom built bike from 10 years ago? This bike shall be sized to fit me. Where as my bike now was built to fit me. Is a new bike really worth the extra coin. Has the technology really moved forward that much.......

Memph

Memph, I have pretty much the same bike your talking about,except I have the 2004 version. I too rode a custom made bike that was built for me, bought it in 95, I have to say the new TCR is a very nice bike, however you can "feel" the difference in a bike built for you. Overall though I am pleased with the ride and believe alot of builders of carbon bikes nowadays will make a very good bike to race on right out of the box. Is it worth the extra money?? Well the same cusom bike I had before would cost me considerably more than I paid for the TCR now. So yes it was worth it.

Originally posted by yayaya
Memph, I have pretty much the same bike your talking about,except I have the 2004 version. I too rode a custom made bike that was built for me, bought it in 95, I have to say the new TCR is a very nice bike, however you can "feel" the difference in a bike built for you. Overall though I am pleased with the ride and believe alot of builders of carbon bikes nowadays will make a very good bike to race on right out of the box. Is it worth the extra money?? Well the same cusom bike I had before would cost me considerably more than I paid for the TCR now. So yes it was worth it.

Thanx for the insight. Always a pleasure to get advice from someone who is/was in same boat as I.

The problem is that the old Italian gentleman who built my frame, has passed on. So that option is out. Tought about fully upgrading equipment, 10spd Ultegra groupo, wheels, carbon seatpost & forks, etc. Would be as expensive as new bike and only leave me with one bike for training & racing. Always great to have two bikes. Train on the heavier and fly on the lighter in the race....

So many choices for bikes. Might go with a few Canadian builders we have....

Memph