Don't start out by buying a $5000 bike

Did you buy a new very expensive bike staight og

• Yes, I did

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I got a good secondhand bike before moving into a new, very expensive bike.

Votes: 138 100.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Memphmann
Thanx for the insight. Always a pleasure to get advice from someone who is/was in same boat as I.

The problem is that the old Italian gentleman who built my frame, has passed on. So that option is out. Tought about fully upgrading equipment, 10spd Ultegra groupo, wheels, carbon seatpost & forks, etc. Would be as expensive as new bike and only leave me with one bike for training & racing. Always great to have two bikes. Train on the heavier and fly on the lighter in the race....

So many choices for bikes. Might go with a few Canadian builders we have....

Memph

Check this guys bikes out..if you like Italian made frames I think you would like this one.. I had the opportunity to ride one here in a shop that I work for now and then..Stock bike of his with Ultegra and middle of the road set of wheels was just barely over 19 lbs..and it was steel. He also makes Aluminum frames in various grades of alum.. The steel bike of his I rode was as sweet of a ride as my custom...check the site out..he will also do custom paint...and his prices are REALLY good..only reason I didnt get one was due to time it would take to get one ...he dosent make many a year...small shop...carbon forks of course..Bellessi Bikes Oh btw the whole site is in Italian...but when you e-mail him he speaks ok English :)

I bought a $1300 used Felt Racing 45 upgraded with campy veloce equipment and carbon seat post as a first bike. I then spent some money on clothes, shoes, helmet, etc. I ride 25 to fifty miles every other weekend. Fun and very nice bike. I realize the bike is better than I am or need, but that is ok. Mine is the nicest bike in the group I have ridden with, but they have kids to put through college, and mine is through!

Originally posted by michaelef
I bought a $1300 used Felt Racing 45 upgraded with campy veloce equipment and carbon seat post as a first bike. I then spent some money on clothes, shoes, helmet, etc. I ride 25 to fifty miles every other weekend. Fun and very nice bike. I realize the bike is better than I am or need, but that is ok. Mine is the nicest bike in the group I have ridden with, but they have kids to put through college, and mine is through!

Must be some group you ride with.... :)

Memph

Originally posted by Bowyer
Cycling is my life and these days down when I got out on sunday I see a lot of new riders with very expensive bikes.

I was into the sport as a youth when I rode a Super Le Tour. I gradually (and foolishly) defected with the fashion to MTN bikes and was the first on my block to have a trek. (later stolen).

Years passed and at 37 I stumbled upon a well-work SAECO bike from a team rider in my area. Now that I am back on the Road, I feel fantastic. It has not taken long to kick those quads into gear. I am a big guy. Ex-Rugby (2nd Row) and all around eater/drinker.

When I took my first low speed fall, whilst trapped in my look pedals...(I know Laugh, Laugh, Laugh) I was soooo relieved that I had opted to go the 'pre-ridden bike' route. I put a few scratches on the non-derailler side of the unit. And could do so without risking suicidal thoughts...why? cause it was used and in my mind a 'trainer'.

Since then, I acquired a spiffy new SAECO frame of the exact same vintage (I tend to stick with things I like--just ask my wife).

I am currently building a Dura-ace, Ti headset, 'custom' baby that will hopefully be everything I ever wanted.

But I will keep the older scratched (and patched) frame for a spring ride and cause it runs like a bat out of hell.

-Man Cycling is a Blast-

P.S. But if you can afford to buy the best and do so. Great! If you don't like the sport, someone like me will gladly pay you 1/2 for it!

I encourage people to to buy the most expensive bike they can. That way I can get a really nice second hand bike that doesn't have much use really cheap.

Seriously, the midrange to cheap bikes are really good now days. You don't want to spend alot until you can get an idea of what kind of rider you are. You don't want to buy a Pinarello as you may end up liking bicycle touring.

I do enjoy blasting past someone on an expensive bike. I like the look the have when they figure out I am on a Schwinn Prologue. I caught and passed someone on USPS Trek last summer on a long hill. It made my day.

Originally posted by donhix1
I do enjoy blasting past someone on an expensive bike. I like the look the have when they figure out I am on a Schwinn Prologue. I caught and passed someone on USPS Trek last summer on a long hill. It made my day.

It's pretty sad that you measure your performance by what model of bike you can pass.

Allan

Originally posted by flea77
It's pretty sad that you measure your performance by what model of bike you can pass.

Allan

No it is not. If they are that pathic & weak. Why are they riding an expensive bike? Always the weak that make remarks...

Memph

No it is not. If they are that pathic & weak. Why are they riding an expensive bike? Always the weak that make remarks...

Memph

So anyone who is "pathetic and weak" in your eyes is forbidden from owning a nice bike? How about people who cant drive well are forbidden from driving anything other than a old used car? How about anyone who cant build a fancy house must live in a single wide trailer?

What is pathetic is anyone who thinks like that. Buy the bike you want and can afford, from $1 to $10000. If you enjoy riding it, that is all that matters. Skill can be learned, attitudes like yours need decades of therapy to overcome :)

Allan

PS. I like your ASSUMPTION that I am weak, you know what they say about assumptions right? :)

So anyone who is "pathetic and weak" in your eyes is forbidden from owning a nice bike? How about people who cant drive well are forbidden from driving anything other than a old used car? How about anyone who cant build a fancy house must live in a single wide trailer?

What is pathetic is anyone who thinks like that. Buy the bike you want and can afford, from $1 to $10000. If you enjoy riding it, that is all that matters. Skill can be learned, attitudes like yours need decades of therapy to overcome :)

Allan

PS. I like your ASSUMPTION that I am weak, you know what they say about assumptions right? :)

Ppl that can't drive well should not be on the road, period. No matter how expensive a vehicle they own.

Do not know many ppl who can build their own home. These are some wonderful points you have brought up.

Not to many skills needed to ride a bike. Physical strength is something that can not be taught. Have to actually get off fat **** & exercise. This is reason why 99% of world is out of shape......

Why b!tch if u r in shape...

Memph

...then again, if you spend to little, you might run into the "lack of importance" issue (i.e. "hey it only costs $500 so why maintain it, care for it, or whoops, is that my bike I just backed over in my 3 ton SUV?").

I have been riding for 30 years I still hav never bought a bike that cost more than $600. Recently I bought my latest - a 1994 Giant Cadex that is 105 equiped. The bike had maybe 300 miles on it. It is virtually new. The gy that owned it lost interest and it hung in the basement for a decade.

Sure it is not the latest and greatest technology. But it will last me for at least 4 years and I paid only $200 for it. That comes to $50 year. Add new tires and tubes and I might end up at $75 - $100 year. I would have to ride the same $5000 bike for 50 years to achieve the same economy.

In my book, older abandoned bikes are the way to go fo the best bang for the buck.

Originally posted by copywrites
I have been riding for 30 years I still hav never bought a bike that cost more than $600. Recently I bought my latest - a 1994 Giant Cadex that is 105 equiped. The bike had maybe 300 miles on it. It is virtually new. The gy that owned it lost interest and it hung in the basement for a decade.

Sure it is not the latest and greatest technology. But it will last me for at least 4 years and I paid only $200 for it. That comes to $50 year. Add new tires and tubes and I might end up at $75 - $100 year. I would have to ride the same $5000 bike for 50 years to achieve the same economy.

In my book, older abandoned bikes are the way to go fo the best bang for the buck.

You have a great point. Now think of it this way. How many of us purchase brand new vehicles? Stupid if you do. Lose to much $$ just driving it off the lot. So why should expensive bikes not be the same. A good pre-owned expnsive bike is better then a new average bike in my opinion...

Memph

You have a great point. Now think of it this way. How many of us purchase brand new vehicles? Stupid if you do. Lose to much $$ just driving it off the lot. So why should expensive bikes not be the same. A good pre-owned expnsive bike is better then a new average bike in my opinion...

Memph

I'm thinking the same thing. Very good point. It is smart to buy a very good or excellent second-hand bike.

Allan

not really, because even though the strong riders on a crappy bike feel good passing weak riders on a good bike,
It's true--- Weakies like me on a brilliant bike - get a kick out of the rare occasion we can pass the brilliant riders on average bikes!! heh heh

:)

Originally posted by gracie59
not really, because even though the strong riders on a crappy bike feel good passing weak riders on a good bike,
It's true--- Weakies like me on a brilliant bike - get a kick out of the rare occasion we can pass the brilliant riders on average bikes!! heh heh

:)

When is this? After they have completed their training & you are just starting yours. I can honestly say that I have never had a weaker rider pass me......

Memph

When is this? After they have completed their training & you are just starting yours. I can honestly say that I have never had a weaker rider pass me......

Memph

oh no, it's usually when you shove a stick in their spokes and they fall over.
Then you ride away giggling.

Originally posted by gracie59
oh no, it's usually when you shove a stick in their spokes and they fall over.
Then you ride away giggling.

Where would I get a stick from? If anything, it would be my pump. Not like I need to in order to pedal away from weaker riders. That is why they are weaker. Cause I can pedal way from them....

Memph

Where would I get a stick from? If anything, it would be my pump. Not like I need to in order to pedal away from weaker riders. That is why they are weaker. Cause I can pedal way from them....

Memph
You carry a pump? That's so 80's man.