Dont want quick release hubs!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by jack06, Oct 25, 2006.

1. jack06

jack06 New Member

hi guys
    currently looking at buying a bike and this one http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=211 seems to suit my budget. The all shimano running gear looks great, even if I haven't heard of the brakes or the hubs. But the thing is, is I don't want the quick release hubs on it, and have talked to the people and they say it's very hard to find the 'nut and bolt' configuration to replace them. I would be located in Inala in Brisbane, and won't have any mean's of transport apart from the bike.
    thanks for any advice!
    jack

Tags:

2. mpm

mpm New Member

Hi Jack,

sorry, but ¿ Why you don't like the quick release on the hubs ?

Marcelo

3. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

That looks like a great basic road bike for the money (even though this is the mountain forum, shame on you!:mad: ).

Tektro and Joytech are well trusted suppliers of basic brakes and hubs. My '01 Raleigh had them both and they held up. I've seen Tektros advertised on road bikes in the $800 (US) range, although they were cited as a cost saving measure so you could get more carbon or whatever.

I got over my distrust of quick release, and got a longer cable to lock both wheels. Before that, I did a bit of poking around and except for real cheapies the only hubs without QR will be the special ones like the 20mm downhill axles.

Your only bet is to try to find a solid 10mm axle with the correct pitch, and have an LBS swap the cones over (setting them right is critical or you'll ruin your bearings). I found such axles but don't recall where now. Try harriscyclery.net, Sheldon Brown's shop.

4. sogood

sogood New Member

To me it's pretty obvious based on OP's intended purpose, to prevent theft.

QR = Easy come and easy go for the thief. Also it's an extra step to properly secure the bike unless you have a very long cable to wrap everything together.

5. jack06

jack06 New Member

Hi marcelo, because the area that i'll be living in and shopping in, is not the best area, and my bike would be my transport and if that got stolen i would very much be screwed. Have looked around and phoned via skype a number of bike shops and all of them mentioned the CRX 4 so might go along with that.

6. HowardSteele

HowardSteele New Member

This is just a thought, if you reduce the length of the quick release leaver ,so that it can only be opened with a pair of pliers as leverage, or even a little tube that slides over the renaming say cm,if the bicycle thief is carrying around tools to remove your wheel ,wheel nuts wont stop him.

7. mpm

mpm New Member

I think that you can use a long cable to lock both wheels too and don't loose the advantage of quick release.

I'm living in Santa Fe Argentina and here you must lock both wheels (with or without quick release !!!!) or "the bad guys" will stole your wheels.

Best regards and good luck with "the bud guys".

Marcelo

8. garage sale GT

If someone scopes out your bike before stealing it, all they have to do is get a power screwdriver and the right size socket and will be able to peel off a solid, nutted axle faster than if it had QR!

9. mpm

mpm New Member

Sorry by my poor english !!!

I like to say "Best regards and good luck with "the bAd guys"

Marcelo

10. motorex259

motorex259 New Member

i just use 2 locks:)

11. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

Have you thought about using allen key skewers.
    You can buy them from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK. I'm sure i've seen them on eBay as well. I think from GPO (Go Play Outside) who are located in Sydney's north western suburbs.

12. LJS

LJS New Member

13. garage sale GT

I have found some 10X1X174mm solid axles on niagaracycle.com. Just plain solid axles.