Don't you feel bad for joggers?

mitosis said:
Use almost twice the energy used per unit of time.
More rapid weight loss than cycling (if you are trying to lose weight).

All good and mostly valid points, but I have to call BS on these two. If you burn twice as much running as cycling, you are not cycling hard enough. If I can ride at LT for one hour vs. running at LT for one hour the calories burned will be close enough to equal. Regarding rapid weight loss I can ride my bike for 5 hours at an easy fat burning pace back to back to back. I need a week to recover from a single 2 hour run, and even if you argue this is conditioning, I will counter it is easier to spend more time on the bike than running no matter what level of conditioning you begin with.

wilmar13 said:
I need a week to recover from a single 2 hour run, and even if you argue this is conditioning, I will counter it is easier to spend more time on the bike than running no matter what level of conditioning you begin with.
You need a week to recover from a 2 hour run, and you claim to be in shape? Go ahead and make fun of runners if you want to, but at least be in good enough condition to talk trash. Most runners I know could run 2 hours several times per week.

LAGuppie said:
You need a week to recover from a 2 hour run, and you claim to be in shape? Go ahead and make fun of runners if you want to, but at least be in good enough condition to talk trash. Most runners I know could run 2 hours several times per week.

Scroll back and find out who the first person to give running some kudos was. I am a cyclist first but I like to run too. I wasn't talking trash at all, and I never in any way made fun of runners. I stated that 98 out of 100 of his claims were true, and took issue with 2 that I felt were not.

LAGuppie said:
Wow! Really? What is that, about 15 miles?

Also, I don't remember him making fun of runners. He did imply that he could burn calories as quickly while riding, but I don't see that as derogatory toward running. :confused:

frenchyge said:

Also, I don't remember him making fun of runners. He did imply that he could burn calories as quickly while riding, but I don't see that as derogatory toward running. :confused:
This whole post is about making fun of runners, taht's my point. And I don't remember calling people names, so where do you people get off with that ****?

Yes, it's about 15 miles for some people. For some less, and some more. And, yes, during marathon training, I ran a hell of a lot farther than that several times per week. And I wasn't one of the better runners. 15 miles aint that far when you are marathon training.

And as for the claim that cycling can be as fat burning as running, nice try. How many fat runners do you see? I see plenty of fat cyclists, and they ride their bike for hours. Running burns WAY more fat.

The joke is that there is a post discussing this issue. The runners' boards don't even discuss cycling, let alone knocking it down.

frenchyge said:

He is a moron. I guess to most morons if you are objective about the pros and cons of two sides you are automatically on the wrong side. Oh and yeah I must be out of shape since it takes me a week to get rid of the soreness after a 15 mile run. Hello I am a cyclist as I clearly stated in my disclaimer about conditioning:rolleyes: ...What a tool.

LAGuppie said:
This whole post is about making fun of runners, taht's my point. And I don't remember calling people names, so where do you people get off with that ****?
Most of the posts on this thread are talking about the benefits of running…what would you call someone who didn’t read a thread before posting and then made some idiotic statement about a cyclist who runs 2 hours needing a week to fully recover being out of shape? I am open for suggestions.

LAGuppie said:
And as for the claim that cycling can be as fat burning as running, nice try. How many fat runners do you see? I see plenty of fat cyclists, and they ride their bike for hours. Running burns WAY more fat.
Hmmm this must be the synopsis for your physiology thesis. :rolleyes:

LAGuppie said:
The joke is that there is a post discussing this issue. The runners' boards don't even discuss cycling, let alone knocking it down.
The joke is that you have posted twice already without even reading the thread.

LAGuppie said:
This whole post is about making fun of runners, taht's my point.
Nawww.... It was a little tongue-in-cheek humor that's lucky to have gotten the 25+ responses so far, most of which have been in support of running.

wilmar13 said:
He is a moron. I guess to most morons if you are objective about the pros and cons of two sides you are automatically on the wrong side. Oh and yeah I must be out of shape since it takes me a week to get rid of the soreness after a 15 mile run. Hello I am a cyclist as I clearly stated in my disclaimer about conditioning:rolleyes: ...What a tool.
See, this is the point. Where do you get off calling me names, asshole? You are the ******** who brought this to the lowest common denominator, so take your oversized head, and stick it as far up your stretched rectum as you can fit it. Then run 15 miles and see what recovers first, your head, ass, or legs.

LAGuppie said:
... And as for the claim that cycling can be as fat burning as running, nice try. How many fat runners do you see? I see plenty of fat cyclists, and they ride their bike for hours. Running burns WAY more fat...
This may be a generalization or an observation or a bias on your part but it is not a scientific fact of any kind. The amount of fat or calories burned during cycling for a given amount of time depends on one's speed and duration. Read the article I referenced in an earlier post by the esteemed Dr. Burke. Cycling can in fact burn as much fat and as many calories as running.

While it may be true that some people who run appear leaner than cyclists that may be related to the fact that larger, heavier people regardless of their percentage of bodyfat have injury issues related to the impact from running. If a person weighs 150 lbs they aren't going to be as likely to sustain an impact related injury as someone who weighs 200 or 250 even if that person has 5% bodyfat and is well conditioned aerobically.

When a person is out of shape they may choose cycling at slower speeds as one would choose brisk walking instead of running. In both cases the impact is minimized. And I've seen a lot of fat walkers. Again, just an observaion.

velomanct said:
you guys are forgeting the best part about biking - speeding downhill at 50+mph.
yesterday i had a good tailwind on a flat road and got it up to 42mph, and caught up to a school bus. fun stuff.

running is so boring and slow
Started biking a year ago after being a jogger for 30 years. Really liked running but being able to ride at 20 mph is much more fun than plodding along at 8 minute miles. Plus there is no way I could run for three hours and biking for hours is a great escape. I still run on a treadmill during the winter when the roads are snow covered or it is raining or snowing. Whatever gets you moving is great.

LAGuppie said:
See, this is the point. Where do you get off calling me names, asshole? You are the ******** who brought this to the lowest common denominator, so take your oversized head, and stick it as far up your stretched rectum as you can fit it. Then run 15 miles and see what recovers first, your head, ass, or legs.

Three posts and you still haven't read the thread (or perhaps comprehended anything written in it )... moron seems to be a pretty good description based on your posts but I am open to other "names" if you prefer. Just so I am clear what is your point again? :confused:

wilmar13 said:
Three posts and you still haven't read the thread (or perhaps comprehended anything written in it )... moron seems to be a pretty good description based on your posts but I am open to other "names" if you prefer. Just so I am clear what is your point again? :confused:

My point is that you are one of the assholes that gives cyclists a bad name. How the **** do you know if I read the posts? Did you give me a quiz? Did you ask me? Is it encoded in the html?

Apparenty, you stuck your oversized head in too far. Your head got stuck. Your wife must be a saint. She must shower for a week to get the stench off of her, while you lie down in bed recovering from your puny little run. MORON.

LAGuppie said:

My point is that you are one of the assholes that gives cyclists a bad name. How the **** do you know if I read the posts? Did you give me a quiz? Did you ask me? Is it encoded in the html?

Apparenty, you stuck your oversized head in too far. Your head got stuck. Your wife must be a saint. She must shower for a week to get the stench off of her, while you lie down in bed recovering from your puny little run. MORON.

OK you win, I am no match for your superior debate skills.

LAGuppie said:

LAGuppie....you are a complete joke and you call yourself a runner? Ug, and to say what gives runners the arrogant name.

Fat people do not run because it would be way to hard on there knees, and since you did read the whole thread you know that the whole thread is about this point.

LAGuppie please leave this forum.

FastFly said:
Fat people do not run because it would be way to hard on there knees, and since you did read the whole thread you know that the whole thread is about this point.
FastFly said:

Fat people don't run cause they're fat. They're fat because they eat/ate too much and are out of shape. Getting on a bicycle won't make them thin. That's the point.

I decline your invitation to leave the forum. If you had bothered to read the thread you would see who started the name calling.

FastFly said:
... Fat people do not run because it would be way to hard on there knees,
It's not just fat people. It is also bodybuilders who carry a lot of lean muscle weight and have very low % of bodyfat. None of the guys in the attached pics would be worth a darn at distance running even if they had an incredibly high VO2 Max. Their knees would buckle under the impact stress from running.

;)

Doctor Morbius said:
None of the guys in the attached pics would be worth a darn at distance running even if they had an incredibly high VO2 Max.
I think the guy on the left tried to jog a little, but his heroic ass ate his little running shorts. :p

If he were a cyclist that would never have happened....