Don't you just hate it when that happens.....

pk

Guest
Out for a ride in the mud this afternoon.

At the furthest point from home, Rear tyre goes flat.

No problem, whip the wheel off, Old tube out replacement tube in.

Off we go!

A mile later rear tyre almost flat again.

Bugger. I could have sworn I checked for the "thorn".

Unscrew valve cover - ominous hiss.

Yep, faulty valve.

No alternative but too patch the old tube in the rain with me and the bike
covered in mud.

WTF didn't I go to the nice, warm, dry, mud free gym instead!

pk

in message <[email protected]>, pk
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Out for a ride in the mud this afternoon.
>
> At the furthest point from home, Rear tyre goes flat.
>
> No problem, whip the wheel off, Old tube out replacement tube in.
>
> Off we go!
>
> A mile later rear tyre almost flat again.
>
> Bugger. I could have sworn I checked for the "thorn".
>
> Unscrew valve cover - ominous hiss.
>
> Yep, faulty valve.

You have my _deepest_ sympathy. What make of tube? Name and shame.

;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

pk wrote:
> No alternative but too patch the old tube in the rain with me and the bike
> covered in mud.

I've been having a few visits from the p*nct*re fairy recently, so to
save on new inner tubes I bought a pack of self-adhesive patches.
Haven't had cause to use them yet but I hear they are very good, and
they are very light and take up no space at all.

> WTF didn't I go to the nice, warm, dry, mud free gym instead!

Because the gym is the work of Stan.

d.

I wrote:
> self-adhesive patches.

Of course, if I'd bothered to read your post properly I would have
realised that they would not have helped you one jot.

Ahem. Sorry.

d.

"pk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Unscrew valve cover - ominous hiss.
>
> Yep, faulty valve.
>
> No alternative but too patch the old tube in the rain with me and the bike
> covered in mud.

Out of interest has anyone here tried Jobst Brandt's
fill-the-punctured-tube-with-water trick?

--
Dave...

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:39:54 +0000, davek <[email protected]>
wrote:

>pk wrote:
>> No alternative but too patch the old tube in the rain with me and the bike
>> covered in mud.

>> WTF didn't I go to the nice, warm, dry, mud free gym instead!

>Because the gym is the work of Stan.

And a pretty poor place to mend a puncture. Go to a pub instead.

Dave Kahn wrote:
> "pk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> Unscrew valve cover - ominous hiss.
>>
>> Yep, faulty valve.
>>
>> No alternative but too patch the old tube in the rain with me
>> and the bike covered in mud.

> Out of interest has anyone here tried Jobst Brandt's
> fill-the-punctured-tube-with-water trick?

What does that achieve and how do you get water in?
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:51:29 +0000 (UTC), "the.Mark"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave Kahn wrote:
>> "pk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>>> Unscrew valve cover - ominous hiss.
>>>
>>> Yep, faulty valve.
>>>
>>> No alternative but too patch the old tube in the rain with me
>>> and the bike covered in mud.

>> Out of interest has anyone here tried Jobst Brandt's
>> fill-the-punctured-tube-with-water trick?

>What does that achieve and how do you get water in?

Supposedly it gets you home. You insert business end of pump into
puddle, stream, or bucket of water; suck water into pump; apply to
valve and squirt water in; repeat until no more goes in. It shouldn't
take many repeats as water, unlike air, is not compressible. The
theory is that water leaks out of the puncture much more slowly than
air does. If it works it sounds a lot better than the old
take-out-the-tube-and-stuff-the-tyre-with-grass dodge.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

> WTF didn't I go to the nice, warm, dry, mud free gym instead!

Cos its as boring as hell and you would have slit your wrists inside 20
mins!!

In message <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn
<[email protected]> writes

> You insert business end of pump into
>puddle, stream, or bucket of water; suck water into pump; apply to
>valve and squirt water in;

It's a good way to ruin your pump. As kids we had lots of fun squirting
water through a bike pump. Until it rusted and stopped working.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

In message <[email protected]>, davek
<[email protected]> writes

>I've been having a few visits from the p*nct*re fairy recently, so to
>save on new inner tubes I bought a pack of self-adhesive patches.
>Haven't had cause to use them yet but I hear they are very good, and
>they are very light and take up no space at all.

I can strongly recommend them.